Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Soft Brake problem

Old 04-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Soft Brake problem

Gentlemen - I have a 2005 Limited Coupe with 74K miles. I've had new rotors and brake pads installed about two months ago. The brake pedal goes about half way down and is very soft and spongy. I've taken it back to the shop and they re-bled the lines and said all was OK. The car has only been driven about 50 miles since the new rotors and pads were installed. All other cars, regardless of make, have a firm pedal feel when braking. I don't like the spongy feel this car has and it leaves me with little confidence in the braking system. The other day, the ABS light came on in the dash. I turned the switch on the dash off and then on several times and the light went out. Incidentley, when the light was on, the brake pedal went almost to the floor. After hitting the switch a few times, it came back up to about half pedal. If I pump the brake pedal two or three times, the pedal gets higher and much firmer like I think it should be.

Has anyone else experienced this? If you have, what did you do to correct the problem.

I'm wondering if the "master cylinder" could be the problem. Any ideas? I've never experienced a master cylinder going bad on all the cars I've owned in 60 years. I hate to have the master cylinder changed out of pure speculation. Chrysler wants $460 plus labor to change the thing. That's an expensive guess.

If anyone has any idea's or suggestions, please let me know. My email is jpmlholian@aol.com if you want to use that.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Soft Brake problem

Can anyone help me out?

Old 04-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

check this thread: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-problems.html

Also search the forum using the search feature in the upper right corner.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:02 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

sounds like there is breach in the fluid pressure if the light came on, needs to be addressed, could be...

bad master, sensor, fitting, hose or broken line

tow the car to a shop and have it addressed, if they cant find the parts, i can help

btw, wrong section to post this to

Old 04-18-2018, 12:04 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

post a picture of your master cylinder, look all the way around it for wetness, any fluid on the ground? fluid in the master still?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:56 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Soft Brake problem

Try this, engine OFF. pump the brake several times to bleed off the vacuum assist.

Now press the pedal to see the unassisted pedal feel. It should be solid and unyielding.

It should also not drift, go to the floor or other odd thing.

Has the brake fluid gone down?? have lid on when pumping brakes or expect a fountain to erupt.

Let us know, WDY

Old 04-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Forum Regular

needswings - I will try to find someone who can photo the master cylinder and post it for me, on this site. Re: wrong place to post this. I've tried to post my threads properly but I can't find out how to do that. I wrote to the webmaster but have not gotten a reply.

Jim

Old 04-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
needswings - I will try to find someone who can photo the master cylinder and post it for me, on this site. Re: wrong place to post this. I've tried to post my threads properly but I can't find out how to do that. I wrote to the webmaster but have not gotten a reply.

Jim
The webmaster takes care of problems that stop the forum working smoothly. He does not tell you how to post photos or what causes your soft brake problem.
Take time to read the topics covered in any forum you should post in.
This forum is not your problem.
You use the attachments feature to add photos etc, it is toward the bottom of the new thread page, try the test forum to practice, it is quite easy. Try and help yourself before asking others.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Forum Regular

onehundred80 - re your above response "try to help yourself before asking others", what do you think I've been doing? I've tried many things to try and post and haven't had any luck. Your sarcastic response isn't what I solicited or expected from you. You've contributed a lot to this forum, all appreciated, I'm sure, by others as well as me. There's no need to be rude and smart a--ed with people trying to solve a problem.

Jim Holian

Old 04-18-2018, 01:40 PM

onehundred80 - re your above response "try to help yourself before asking others", what do you think I've been doing? I've tried many things to try and post and haven't had any luck. Your sarcastic response isn't what I solicited or expected from you. You've contributed a lot to this forum, all appreciated, I'm sure, by others as well as me. There's no need to be rude and smart a--ed with people trying to solve a problem.

Jim Holian
Amazing, you take what I said as an insult? WTF has soft brakes got to do with problems concerning the smooth running of the forum as a whole.
A simple search would find threads on this very subject, one was started by me the day before you started this thread.
I even told you how to post a photo, and how to practise posting pictures, nobody else did.
More and more I find people look for some negativity in any reply or statement. They gloss over anything that could be a good answer and turn it into a negative.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-18-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:16 PM
Forum Regular

Waldig - Woody, I did as you suggested and the brake pedal felt very solid, or firm. I suppose that indicates that the master cylinder and calipers are all OK. No sign of leaks anywhere. I thank you for saving me $460 dollars, plus, at the Chrysler dealer.

Thanks

Jim

Old 04-18-2018, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular

Waldig - Woody, I did as you suggested and the brake pedal felt very solid, or firm. I suppose that indicates that the master cylinder and calipers are all OK. No sign of leaks anywhere. I thank you for saving me $460 dollars, plus, at the Chrysler dealer.

Thanks

Jim

Old 04-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Forum Regular

onehundred80 - Yes, I took your comment, "try to help yourself before asking others" as insulting. I've searched quite few threads for an answer and have found nothing concrete. Your WTF remark is also out of order! I've come to this sight for help on something that I do not know. If that's too much for you to handle, don't comment at all, or, keep your arrogant comments to your self. Don't try to critique me when you have no idea of what I've done or haven't done.

Jim

Old 04-19-2018, 07:18 AM

onehundred80 - Yes, I took your comment, "try to help yourself before asking others" as insulting. I've searched quite few threads for an answer and have found nothing concrete. Your WTF remark is also out of order! I've come to this sight for help on something that I do not know. If that's too much for you to handle, don't comment at all, or, keep your arrogant comments to your self. Don't try to critique me when you have no idea of what I've done or haven't done.

Jim
You are one awkward bar steward. Others suggested you do a search and you never said anything to them. I alone told you how to test posting pictures, someone else referred you to the largest post on the form that I made and continue to add to that covers problems like this.
It is a pity that when I post a possible solution you will be able to read it.
I can guess who you voted for, your attitude and demographic make it obvious. Maybe I can come up with some lies and BS that you will believe, or maybe I will keep the solution to myself.
In your previous posts of you have thanked me for my advice and asked for it, I guess I can forget that in the future.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-19-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:29 AM
Forum Regular

Yes, I thanked you for your advice and I have asked for that advice. Sarcastic personal comments are not asked for and unappreciated. Who I voted for and my demographics are none of your business and in fact, probably would surprise you. You have no idea how many searches I've tried, and there have been many. Your personal comments about me are without basis or fact. This is not the place for those comments either. I'm not going to get into a war of words with you over something that has no place here. If you wish to comment or not comment, on Crossfire subjects, I for one appreciate the input and I'm sure others do as well. Choosing to keep a solution to yourself only displays a childish attitude.

How about we keep the comments confined to Chrysler Crossfire subjects and all of us on this site will benefit. Personal attacks benefit no one.

Jim Holian

Old 04-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Soft Brake problem

Glad to help, so many people - me - have had power assist give them pause about the health of the brakes. Low pedal is fluid volume related and not related to brake issues.

As you saw the lack of vacuum assist is a first test of brakes, for those in the back of the class that have not tried this, it will be your homework assignment, at least once. This will acquaint you with real brake pedal position. 500 to 1000 pounds of pedal pressure will make the pedal move downward for sure.

Enjoy, Woody

Old 04-20-2018, 01:20 AM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a Limited and two SRTs, I drive the Limited regularly and the SRTs only occasionally. The pedal in the Limited always feels good but when I drive one of the SRTs the first couple of stops always get my attention because of the pedal travel. They stop fine, but going from one to another takes some getting used to. I don’t think there is a safety issue.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Forum Regular

Woody and Jeff - Thanks for the information. Little by little, we're working the problem down.

Jim

Old 04-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I saw this!

Pulled mine out of winter storage yesterday and the brake pedal is basically dead for the first 75% of travel. Catches at the end and stops fine after that but driving in traffic is a dicey experience. I too assumed master cylinder but there was no signs of any leakage (I parked it over a big sheet of craft paper in November), brake fluid bottle was exactly halfway between min and max. Brakes were perfectly fine when I put the car away last fall.

I'll try the suggested vacuum bleed off.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Forum Regular

sirharper - I,too, have the same experience as you. Car sits for a month or more and it scare's you to drive it. This could turn out to be a real safety issue! I hope someone, much more knowledgeable than me, can come up with a fix for this problem. American and import cars that I have driven, all have a firm brake pedal with very little travel. Surely, someone can find a solution to our problem.

Jim

Quick Reply: Soft Brake problem