Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Throttle Response Is Slow!!

Old 09-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Response Is Slow!!

i am new, i just purchased this car and i don't know much about it. i like it so far, only complaint is that the throttle response seems to be very slow... is there anything i can do to make it a little quicker? please let me know. =)

Old 09-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Throttle Response Is Slow!!

push it harder. there is a pulley kit available from evosport that might improve that, and platinum spark plugs and ignition wires would increase throttle response.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, i didn't mean platinum wires, but aftermarket ones.

Last edited by x'ed; 09-29-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:46 AM

Its just a nature of the beast... You don't notice it once you drive it for a while... I'll agree tho, it is irritating. If i get in my wife's Murano, I usually leave the stop light with tires burning, since I'm so used to stomping the Crossfire to get it moving.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Forum Regular

You get used to it. If you want to get away fast, rev it to about 4,400 and drop the clutch. Change into second around 30 mph and change into 3rd around 53 mph. Change into 4th at 75 mph [3rd will go to 84 mph but you are losing power] and 5th is good from 110mph when 4th runs out up to around 130 mph. Not yet tested 5th/6th, except 6th will pull from 15 mph.

Take of the TC - it limits you options.
Throttle response is what you make it!

Old 09-29-2005, 11:38 PM

Has anyone actually put the pulleys on, or replaced their spark plugs? I know babeviper was supposed to have had the pulleys put on, but it turns out he just sold his xfire instead. So, if anyone does have experience with either of these let us know what you think of the results. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Changed my plugs with Denso Iridium Racing Plugs... Pain in the as* to do unless you have midget hands... And they really don't make much of a difference...

If you don't know, your throttle is "drive by wire" it does not have a direct linkage to the injectors... The computer learns your driving habits and adjusts the ECU accordingly. In other words, if you drive like an old lady most of the time, the car thinks you're an old lady all the time... So when you want to get on it... The car still thinks you're that old lady!

What I would recommend, start driving more aggressively for a few days and you should notice a slight improvement in throttle response... Also, open-up your airflow with one of the aftermarket kits (SASKINS dual intake recommended) then put a less restrictive exhaust system on... And if you really want to get the seat of the pants feel from your car, do all of the above and then have the car chipped and run 100 octane fuel in it...

All in all about $1,500 and now you've got a car that should put 235hp to the flywheel...

As far as the EVOSport Underdrive pulleys, I can't see the advantage... Granted they are only a few hundred $, but I still have yet to get a good explanation as to how or why they would increase HP... only thing I can see is that they would lower the output of your alternator... Not very helpful IMO...

Last edited by HDDP; 10-01-2005 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:51 AM

Throttle Body Adjustment. They say this works on all drive by wire vehicles and resets parameters WITHOUT Having to disconnect battery!

The Throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts to your particular driving
style. Do a TBA Throttle body adaptation.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter
turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back
to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas
pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so
I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the instructions -

Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2
minutes.

Keep the key in for the entire thing.

If this doesn't work, disconnect your neg. battery cable for 20 minutes. This will re-set the parameters in the drive-by-wire... Unfortunately it will delete your pre-set radio stations, clock etc. as well...

Last edited by HDDP; 10-02-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the info HDDP. Unfortunately, I do drive like an old lady for the majority of the time I'm in my car... I'll give the flash a try.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ndfrspeed2
Thanks for the info HDDP. Unfortunately, I do drive like an old lady for the majority of the time I'm in my car... I'll give the flash a try.
Let me know how it turns out... I usually do this procedure before my first track run of the day, it seems to make a difference on my car, but your input would be helpful to the other members...

Old 10-03-2005, 05:00 PM

my mechanic at Mall Chrysler in Florence KY also said that the drive by wire system has a natural, albeit miniscule, lag between gas and go. i've noticed it on uphill starts mostly, but i don't really drive like a grandma. i had my car in the shop for repair (hit by a grandma, as irony would have it) and my horrible rental Malibu had a ridiculously responsive throttle. kept giving myself whiplash since i was used to the Crossfire. LOL!

thanx for the info on the drive by wire reset. i'll try that and see if i notice any change.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:09 PM

This might answer your question regarding the slow throttle response as quoted from the repair manual.

"The PCM recognizes how the accelerator pedal is being pressed and switches between a few characteristic curves. Eighty percent of the engines power is achieved for a pedal travel of about 50% for an aggressive driver and about 40% for a conservative driver. There is no further difference felt above a pedal travel of 90%.

The characteristic curve for a conservative driver is active after a long drive. Then the accelerator pedal must be pressed down unusually hard to obtain a higher acceleration level."

Try the reset I described in my earlier post. I usually perform that operation every time I get into the car. Seems to work well for me! Good Luck.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:28 PM

out of all the people who have replied, HDDP sounds to be the most knowledgeable. thanks for the info. i guess i just have to get used to it being drive by wire rather than cable driven. i'm not very happy with the car. before this, i had the S2000 which had more hp, less weight, and alot better throttle response... but it was too raw... too noisy... girls didn't like it... so i went with this. i'll try the throttle body adjustment thing. and is it really true that the car adapts to how you drive? i guess it is... that's how my dads S55 is... and this IS a Mercedes so, i guess i'll give it a whirl. does anybody have crossfire pictures with BBS LM wheels or Work vsxx's? or HRES? please let me know? KENISIS wheels maybe? haha thanks guys. or a picture of the startech lip? and maybe a link to where i could get that intake the HDDP recommended? sorry for being so oblivious about all this, i'm so new. if anyone needs help on s2k or boxster parts, haha i'm your man! lol thanks guys.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:36 AM

enzolat: If you're really disappointed in the throttle response and it is not resolved by re-setting the PCM as I mentioned before, you're probably just feeling the effects of a 3,000 lb 218 hp car. For less than $1,500 dollars you can turn it into something that will let you experience the pull that your S2000 had and give you 237 hp at the crank.

Get the 3" dual intakes, I spoke about from forum member SASKINS. Find a good performance muffler shop and have them cut the resonator out and give you a dual straight thru Magnaflow exhaust. Then have a custom chip tuning done for your ECU (Upsolute or PowerChip). Fill the tank with 4 gallons of 100 octane fuel, 1 gallon of Klotz COXOC, then go find an S2000 to race... You'll blow his doors off... This is the best way (cheapest) to get the ponies you're looking for... Good luck on your mods... And take it to the track when you race!!!

Last edited by HDDP; 11-01-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by enzolat
i am new, i just purchased this car and i don't know much about it. i like it so far, only complaint is that the throttle response seems to be very slow... is there anything i can do to make it a little quicker? please let me know. =)
julio you need to lose about 20 more pounds and your car will be MUCH faster! haha jk.

looks like i'll be getting one this coming monday.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:30 PM

This reset seems to work. I noticed an improvement right away. My car has a Powerchip Silver.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by jjarocki
This reset seems to work. I noticed an improvement right away. My car has a Powerchip Silver.
Glad I could help...

Old 11-01-2005, 08:36 PM

hey thanks so much hddp. but the power isn't what is lagging. i'm talking about throttle response when i rev match (downshifting). it just simply reacts too slow compared to a cable connected throttle rather than electronic. oh well. its more luxury. =P

Old 11-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It might be interesting to see if anyone in the MB world has hacked the drive by wire system and replaced it with a regular throttle cable...

Old 06-11-2007, 12:09 AM

Have you ever found a solution to this? I've had mine a month & the throttle response is the one thing that I still despise. I saw the "sprint booster" in one post, but there seems to be little information about this. I'd love to know if there's a reasonable solution for this.

Quick Reply: Throttle Response Is Slow!!