Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

first thing i do with any car i buy is install a corrosion module. has worked great in the past and will always use in future.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Forum Regular

What is a corrosion module? How do you apply it?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 PM

its an electronic device that keeps ions in your car charged. the theory behind it is car manufacturers ion charge the metals. but in time they wear out / eventualy the oxygen moleculs enter which causes rust. bye installing a module it keeps the cars ionic charge and prevents rust. its been around awhile very common in boats . ill try attach a picture of the module. tomorrow

Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks that would be great or perhaps you could just list the name so we could search the web. Thanks again.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RustStop Electronic rust protection and rust prevention.

This is one example.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

In some marine uses they use a sacrificial part that slowly gets eaten away.
All my cars have had sacrificial parts, fenders, doors, rocker panels .......

Old 02-04-2011, 04:04 AM
Forum Regular

I have 2 of those electronic rust preventers, but have yet to install either. This summers project. I'll give u all the manufacturer

Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

http://kineticdesignlabs.com/tricor/...technology.pdf for reference.

some peeps believe snake oil others dont. its my belief that if ya got the money what do you have to lose?.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Cool Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Originally Posted by 6ʇɹsǝɹıɟssoɹɔ

Crossfire9................do you really believe in that 'ion' stuff; I think you have just been fortunate to avoid the rust in those cars.

I just recently TRIED (not bought) a Bionic Band that is suppose to align your body neutrons or something to the earth;
it would make me heal faster, sleep better and have better sex. I still heal the same, sleep the same....actually
less now!

I gave the band back to the woman who lent it to me, for a more powerful one,................she is now my best friend.

Last edited by mbepic; 02-04-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mbepic
Crossfire9................do you really believe in that 'ion' stuff; I think you have just been fortunate to avoid the rust in those cars.
They use to have them on some of the bridges in the Cleveland area. Being in the "Rust Belt" I guess they were willing to try ANYTHING.
I don't know if they still use them anymore or not.
I got one as a door prize at a car show I once attended many years ago, and I never installed it on anything I've owned. So I don't know if they work or not.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM

A similar system is used in water heaters for your home.

I believe they have one or two anode rods to help keep the tank itself free of corrosion.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Forum Regular

I don't think the http://kineticdesignlabs.com will work, because the sheet metal of the Crossfire is not galvanized with zinc. There is only primer and paint. Nothing else. So this can only work on cars that have zinc galvanized sheet metals.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by LSWright2
I just bought my Crossfire last week. Today I ran out to my car to get something out of the passenger side door, and when I go to close it, I hear water sloshing around in the door. I then re-open it and move it back and fourth and water procedes to come pouring out of the door.
I then decided to do some research, and I am now a member of these forums. After doing some reading, I made a quick video of my car door,a nd I also noticed that my passenger door does not even have the drain plugs in the bottem. This may have been how the water got into the door last night when I was driving in the rain. But I am not sure. They may have been taken out because of previous problems with water in the door.
Any suggestions? Should I get new plugs? I am going to do the rust treatment as soon as I figure out how, but I guess to plug or not to plug is my delima.
YouTube - MOV058

So I'm guessing these plugs are a dealer only item?
So I finally figured out how water is getting inside my passenger side door. It is not from the bottem up. The drain plugs were removed to let the water out. I had a feeling gravity would not let that much water in from that direction. Instead my door itself is bowed out away from the window just enough to let water slide down the window into the door, but not enough to see unless you really look for it. I'm trying to attach some pics to show you. It is sad that it took a huge tree branch falling on the hood of my car for me to notice this.. ;(

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Destruction! 011.JPG (2.12 MB, 104 views)
Destruction! 012.JPG (1.63 MB, 82 views)
Destruction! 013.JPG (1.61 MB, 79 views)
Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by LSWright2

So I finally figured out how water is getting inside my passenger side door. It is not from the bottem up. The drain plugs were removed to let the water out. I had a feeling gravity would not let that much water in from that direction. Instead my door itself is bowed out away from the window just enough to let water slide down the window into the door, but not enough to see unless you really look for it. I'm trying to attach some pics to show you. It is sad that it took a huge tree branch falling on the hood of my car for me to notice this.. ;(
Those two plugs you removed from the bottom of the door are not drain plugs. They are access holes for the window adjustment. The drains are at the front and rear of the door. Some water goes through the door from the rear sail area and drains out of these little holes. Check them to see they are not plugged.
Sorry to hear about your mishap, I hope it can be fixed.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 AM

Use Phosporic Acid: It has been working for 30 years.
Phosphoric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rust removal

Phosphoric acid may be used as a "rust converter", by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces. The phosphoric acid converts reddish-brown iron(III) oxide (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4.
"Rust converter" is sometimes a greenish liquid suitable for dipping (in the same sort of acid bath as is used for pickling metal), but it is more often formulated as a gel, commonly called naval jelly. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer". As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces.
After treatment, the black ferric-phosphate coating can be scrubbed off, leaving a fresh metal surface. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The black phosphate coating can also be left in place, where it will provide moderate further corrosion resistance. (Such protection is also provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes.)

Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Hello all,its been a while,I see you are all well. Dunno about you guys, I'm getting older yet your your cars are looking better than ever! Noticed the 'rust in the door' thread,checked,and yup its there as you all said. Did as you guys advised,thank you so much . Even African xf's are affected.

The car is good otherwise,had to replace the battery at 90 000,00KM . Had its first sevice with Chrysler here and was pleasantly surprised.?!?! Had to change the small w5w parking bulb -mission! Untill I read up how to with out removing head light assembly. She got new shoes a couple of months back,the orginals were hellish so I got Federals but very happy! The rear are wider too! Looks good. Nice to be back. thanks for all the great info,as
usual. I dont feel so alone "out here".

Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by badad
Hello all,its been a while,I see you are all well. Dunno about you guys, I'm getting older yet your your cars are looking better than ever! Noticed the 'rust in the door' thread,checked,and yup its there as you all said. Did as you guys advised,thank you so much . Even African xf's are affected.

The car is good otherwise,had to replace the battery at 90 000,00KM . Had its first sevice with Chrysler here and was pleasantly surprised.?!?! Had to change the small w5w parking bulb -mission! Untill I read up how to with out removing head light assembly. She got new shoes a couple of months back,the orginals were hellish so I got Federals but very happy! The rear are wider too! Looks good. Nice to be back. thanks for all the great info,as
usual. I dont feel so alone "out here".
Let's have a picture, a Crossfire and Table mountain.
That should be a first. Lovely country.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Cool Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Originally Posted by badad
Good to hear from you, 'badad'; I'm guessing you guys have fairly high humidity down there in South Africa..............that'll do the rust thing on the door.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 AM

Crossfire with Table Mountain,coming up,no probs.Need a couple of days, I live even further South near Cape Point ( Cape of Storms) . Weather here not really '" African", we have a cooler wet climate with cool wet winters (April thru October) and very windy dry summers. Not the best of climates! Perfect for rust tho,yes.Nice mountain passes for "Crossfire ing",we have very good roads and highways too for cruising.
I'm actually Zimbabwean(,ROB MUGABE "REFUGEE") hee hee,so the weather here is a bit of a culture shock for me. Mugabe is also a Crossfire fan! He bought 18 black ones,one for each of his ministers' wives ! This is the reason for scarcity of black xf"s in SA, only 26 were allocated to SA ,RHD's (if I'm not wrong). I really wanted a black one,could'nt find.
I'm not telling him about the rust!!!!!!BTW.Ha ha.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 AM

There is a corrosion prevention used in aviation called Corban or Dinatrol.if you can get your hands on an aerosol of one of those products it wouldbe an excellant prevention for the rust. The Corban would be my choice to use. Make sure you wear protective clothing and gloves, and a respirator when spraying it( unless you can hold your breath a long time)

Quick Reply: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...