Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Mirrors - Wide angle, anti-blind spot

Old 08-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mirrors - Wide angle, anti-blind spot

As I'm sure you all know by now, the external mirrors on the Crossfire aren't all that large, and leave a good sized blind spot on both sides of the car. So after buying, and returning, some cheap spot mirrors, I spent some time looking around on the Internet for alternatives.

As I found when I bought the spot mirrors, giving up valuable rearview real estate isn't appealing - and that's without mentioning that they don't fit well with the crossfire mirror's curves anyway.

After spending some time looking around, I found http://www.multivexmirrors.com. On their website Multivex Mirrors offers full size (cut precisely for the Crossfire) high quality American made glass mirrors that are computer engineered to gradually cover the blind spot next to the car.

They're not cheap - current list is $73 a pair, but I saw many comments - away from their website - from people who are quite pleased with their purchase.

I also found some other forum groups who've apparently done group buys with them.

Bottom line, I'm convinced enough to purchase a pair, but if others are interested I'm hoping we might be able to do a group buy with them too. (BTW, no, I have no affiliation with them - just found them on the web).

Check it out and let's discuss.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aiming Mirrors

Adjust the driver's mirror outward until you can just see the side of your own car with your head against the door glass. Then adjust the passenger mirror outward to the point you can see the side of your own car when you are leaning as far as you can to the right.

The result will be that a car leaving your view in the rear window, will appear in the appropriate side mirror. and as it leaves the side mirror you'll see it with your peripheral vision in the door window. Try it: it works. It works on most cars actually.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Aiming Mirrors

Originally Posted by 62thunderbird
Adjust the driver's mirror outward until you can just see the side of your own car with your head against the door glass. Then adjust the passenger mirror outward to the point you can see the side of your own car when you are leaning as far as you can to the right.

The result will be that a car leaving your view in the rear window, will appear in the appropriate side mirror. and as it leaves the side mirror you'll see it with your peripheral vision in the door window. Try it: it works. It works on most cars actually.
Yes, most people have their mirrors turned in too far but then again, I remember being taught to set them turned in while in driver's ed. Very bad advice. The method described by 62thunderbird is a far, far better starting point for proper mirror adjustment.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:19 AM

I have these things called eyes and a head that work pretty well too and it's free.

I never trust mirrors.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Mirrors - Wide angle, anti-blind spot

If you can't trust them then they aren't set up properly. Race car drivers set theirs up properly as they usually don't have the option of turning their heads as freely as your average passenger car driver does. Properly aligned mirrors give you a quick reference while driving normally to see what's going on around you. They keep you from being surprised when you do make that quick check before changing lanes if traffic is heavy, and let you keep tabs on lighter traffic so you know where everybody is.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Forum Regular

Adjusting the mirrors, head turning, peripheral vision, etc. are, of course, all good things and I have done / do them. However, the Crossfire mirrors narrow field of view, and resultant blind spots, remain a problem.

I think you should be able to "trust" your mirrors. And if you can't, fix the problem so you can.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GatorLCA got it right. Turn your head and look!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
I never trust mirrors.
Yea, you never know when a mirror is gonna stop working!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by msheredy
Can't stop laughing at that one!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by msheredy
Really, a reflection can stop working. /sarcasm

It'll stop working when the person in that lane clips you and you wreck. I was always told never to rely on mirrors, they are there to assist you, not so the driver can be lazy and not look.

I've actually never found the Crossfire to have a bad blind spot because the rear end is so short. Only when I first got the car and wasn't used to it did I feel it had a bad blind spot. Maybe that's cause my mirrors are adjusted properly and I look too, I think $75 is a waste of money and as stated above, proper mirror adjustment should fix any problems.

Last edited by GatorLCA; 08-20-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 AM
Forum Regular

The Xfire has a rep for terrible blind spots, but they don't seem bad to me at all, because I traded in a Scion tC. That car has blind spots that are positively ridiculous! You don't look over your shoulder in that car, you crane your friggin neck, and still hope you don't end up in pieces. Insane. It's marketed to young, inexperienced drivers, too. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if tCs had high accident rates. At least it has plenty of safety equipment.