Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlights

Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

Has anyone had problems with headlights burning out? I've had the car a year and a half and I've replaced both sides 3 times. (low beams)

Old 02-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Headlights

What kinda bulbs are you using ?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Stogey
What kinda bulbs are you using ?
Tulips!

OEM at present, when they go south I will get HID's.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 AM

I'm using the H7 bulbs. The thing is my wife has a Saab that uses the same bulb and in 4 years I've changed 1 bulb.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a recent thread about this very same issue. Sylvania SilverStar Ultras are brighter at the expense of lifetime. So far as I can tell, ANY "brighter" 55 watt bulb does so at the expense of lifetime. If you stay with conventional halogens, Sylvania Long Life or Phillips equivilant would be your best choice.

Many on this forum (see previous poster) are switching to very reasonably priced HID kits. $70 - $150 per pair. They are much brighter, and supposedly last 10 times longer. I love mine.

Do a search on "HID" and you'll find a fund of knowledge!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Tulips!

OEM at present, when they go south I will get HID's.
HA !!! I left myself open for that one !!!

I agree with Max, stay away from the SilverStars. HID seems to be the route I will be taking next.

Just my Dos Centavos

Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks. The bulbs are SilverStars. Next week when the other side burns out I will try something different.
Thanks again
Ron

Old 02-27-2009, 07:28 AM

Not sure if this is relevant, but when I picked up my new XF about a month ago in the sunny climes of Michigan, they had been suffering a severe cold spell for some time. My car had been sitting for about a year, unsold since it was built. I did the paperwork at the dealership and headed happily south.

I stopped for a bite after about an hour at a Wendys as it happened to be getting dark. Went back outside and the car refused to start. The dash lights flickered, then went dead. I surmised that the battery had gotten low and the below zero temps had damaged it.

I called for a tow service. When the guy arrived, he wanted to try a jump. He hooked up a heavy-duty cable and ran a current to my car for a few minutes. The car fired up easily then. He suggested that he follow me the few miles to the nearest Chrysler dealer so I could get it sorted out the next morning.

The headlights didn't want to come on. I fooled around with the switch (as cars were squeezing past in the Wendys lot), and got them on. Later, I realized I had turned on the fog lamps.

Next morning, the dealership made things right, but the service manager reported that both headlights were blown. I thought that odd since I had used them (I thought) to drive there the night before, but it was all a warranty repair, so I didn't complain. The high current jump must have blown the lamps (which weren't even turned on at the time).

I'm not suggesting you are jumping your car and blowing your lights, but think there must be some vulnerability in the circuitry that feeds theheadlights. It will take smarter minds than mine to confirm that, though.

Last edited by Serendip; 02-27-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by rongarant
Thanks. The bulbs are SilverStars. Next week when the other side burns out I will try something different.
Thanks again
Ron
I have many mods on my car and I think the two best mods were the HID's and Posi Quiet brakes pads. I always have clean wheels and I can see SOOOOO much better at night. GO with HID's and driving at night will be a whole new experience!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 PM

I have 10k HID's in the headlights and fog lights and I love them!

Old 02-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rongarant
Has anyone had problems with headlights burning out? I've had the car a year and a half and I've replaced both sides 3 times. (low beams)
Good Morning...

It appears that I am having the same problem.. I 'm still a virgin, having had my first oil change yet and already I have a low beam passenger side headlamp out. Just wondering how hard or easy it is to change the bulb.
My dad bought me my crossfire for my sixteenth birthday and I need to know if it is something he can change or do I have to kiss up to him to get him to pay for the repair. My dad bought the car used from a dealership so its really no telling how long the lamp has been in the car. 2005 roadster.

Thanks
Topless forever!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Forum Regular

look at maxcichons hid write up, just dis reguard the hid part. I would suggest going with hids though, as you will be doing the hardest part, getting the bulb in and out. The difference is amazing. chris

Old 02-28-2009, 11:55 AM

HID Install with pics.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=28907