Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Crossfire vs Deer

Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire vs Deer

This makes me sick just thinking about it. Just got new tires and K&N's and was so excited and then tonight.... This. Never had an accident before. Deer ran out of the cornfield and I saw it and was hard on the brakes and swerved but didn't stand a chance. The deer went up and over the car. bags didn't blow but the impact wasnt that bad. The car runs and drives but the front cross beam that the headlights and radiator are mounted in is completely crumpled. The cooling fan is resting against the front of the engine block. The hydro lift for the hood is broken and the point where its mounted in the back of the engine bay is shattered.... Praying everything turns out alright. And praying this doesn't happen to any of you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0036.jpg (90.7 KB, 216 views)
DSC_0037.jpg (117.3 KB, 227 views)
DSC_0038.jpg (96.5 KB, 221 views)
Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire vs Deer

DUDE...... That made me cringe when I saw the pics. I am so sorry that happened to you. I hit a deer on a Harley Fatboy many years ago. That was no fun. I hope everything works out well with insurance and repairs.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear of the accident. hope it all turns out ok. My biggest fear is that we have an accident like this, relatively minor for most cars but because of the low values the insurance totals it.

Last edited by mdaniels4; 10-12-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:19 AM

OUCH! Let us know what the insurance company says....That looks like a pretty penny to fix

Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bad, Bad Bambi!!!

PS Was the deer ok??

Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 AM

Ouch... I'm so sorry that happened to you! I've had friends who have had deer come through their windshields. Good thing it went over the car! I have only had two close encounters with "bambies", one hit my drivers side mirror at 65mph and another one tap danced over my hood going to work (neither one was in the Crossfire). Maybe you could get Moparrbust to do your body work?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ods-begin.html

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Sorry to hear of the mishap and assume you are okay.

I live over in Maryland and we have deer all over the place. Just yesterday morining I counted 7 differnt sightings driving over to a show.

I am always concerned about driving the back roads since they can jump out and anytime. If you see one there is usually a few more right behind them.

Hope the repair turns out to your satisfaction.

Regards,
Jake80

Old 10-12-2009, 01:17 PM

Was just out driving this weekend and saw several deer on the side roads. The whole time I was just so worried this would happen.

Glad you are alright and hope you get this fixed and back on the road soon.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:26 PM

I looked at the pictures and thought that could be me! I live in "deer alley" in the Midwest and have so far not even had a close call. Sure makes you think! Hope all turns out well.

regards,
M

Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM

Glad you're ok and sorry to see the damage to your XF.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 PM

Thank you all for the support and sympathy!

One of the local shops just got done repairing a XF after a deer hit so I've been talking with them. They said most of the parts took about 2 days to come in but they waited over 2 months on a hood to come from Karmann. He said availability was looking a little better lately. I think I will probably choose them for the repairs.

So far it's looking like:

bumper
hood
headlights
front crossbeam
front grill
radiator
cooling fan
radiator reservoir
other misc items.

Also, there is damage to one of the pulleys and also where the hydraulic prop rod mounts in the engine bay broke and got pushed through a bundle of wires stripping a few and broke the mounts for the ABS control box.

Can't even guess how much repairs are going to be... I'll keep you all posted on how things progress.

Thanks again to the XF community.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! So sorry that this happened to you! I go to work at 3 Am Monday through Friday and see dear all the time where I live. I drive under the speed limit for about 1 mile once I'm past the fields.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:52 AM

Yikes. Sorry to hear of your mishap, but your body at least is okay.

Of course, as usual, it could have been worse. I have two personal friends who have had collisions with deer while on motorcycles. Both survied (not the deer) but were laid low for months recovering.

Hope your car comes home well.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM

I CAN TELL YOU IT WILL BE AT LEAST $7700 WORTH OF DAMAGE, PROBABLY CLOSER TO $10K

Originally Posted by JacobPainter
Thank you all for the support and sympathy!

One of the local shops just got done repairing a XF after a deer hit so I've been talking with them. They said most of the parts took about 2 days to come in but they waited over 2 months on a hood to come from Karmann. He said availability was looking a little better lately. I think I will probably choose them for the repairs.

So far it's looking like:

bumper
hood
headlights
front crossbeam
front grill
radiator
cooling fan
radiator reservoir
other misc items.

Also, there is damage to one of the pulleys and also where the hydraulic prop rod mounts in the engine bay broke and got pushed through a bundle of wires stripping a few and broke the mounts for the ABS control box.

Can't even guess how much repairs are going to be... I'll keep you all posted on how things progress.

Thanks again to the XF community.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM

Wow! Nice job RL!

The preliminary estimate not including the ABS harness and whatever else they find was $7800.

Adjuster will be out tomorrow hopefully.

Im thinking though...

At least $7800 in damage on a car that books for $10,500.... Thats darn near 80%....

Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Forum Regular

Bad Bambi but Good work in pushing her over the car and preventing top and rear damage!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM

yeah i think it will probably be determined to be a total loss. damn $500 headlights!!

Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking total loss too but let me give you 2 things that should make you feel a little better.......
First you weren't hurt. I have a couple of friends who were coming back from the Indy 500 a few years ago in a Mustang convertible, they spent a week in the hospital because the deer landed on them after it messed up the front of the car.
Second - be glad you didn't swerve to miss Bambi and hit a fixed object like a fence or a telephone poll. That would have added insult to injury because instead of a comp claim you 'd be looking at a collision claim and that would make your insurance go up.
I wish you luck with this and glad you weren't hurt.
Pat

Old 12-20-2009, 06:38 PM

Well, its been two months and parts are still missing... Here's a couple pictures from last week to show the progress... So far they've got the radiator mount/cross beam welded in and that's about it. Still waiting on ABS wiring bundle and a few other parts...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1900169/progress1.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1900169/progress2.JPG

Old 12-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude, you need to go back over there and tell them to get the tools off of your roof, close the windows and cover that car up. All that dirt on the roof is going inside you cabin too...... Dont let them mistreat the car and mess up the paint while they are waiting for parts. That is sooooooo sad to see...

Quick Reply: Crossfire vs Deer