Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

HID Fog issue help please

Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HID Fog issue help please

I've got 6k HID's in my low's and fogs. My low's work brilliantly, but from time to time only one of my fogs will work. Then they'll mysteriously work again next time I start up the car. I know whether or not they're going to work as soon as I turn them on and both of them will go out... but not at the same time. I had to reverse the polarity on the driver side to make that side work initially, but didn't have to do that on the passenger side. Is that possibly my issue? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

BTW other than this lil issue I love my HID's and they really were a breeze to put in. For the most part plug n' play.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HID Fog issue help please

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
I've got 6k HID's in my low's and fogs. My low's work brilliantly, but from time to time only one of my fogs will work. Then they'll mysteriously work again next time I start up the car. I know whether or not they're going to work as soon as I turn them on and both of them will go out... but not at the same time. I had to reverse the polarity on the driver side to make that side work initially, but didn't have to do that on the passenger side. Is that possibly my issue? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

BTW other than this lil issue I love my HID's and they really were a breeze to put in. For the most part plug n' play.
I had an intermittent issue with my HID's (lows) where sometimes it would come on and stay on. I thought I had it resolved by turning the car on then the lights but eventually that wouldn't work and I would drive for 20 miles or so turning the lights on and off along the way. Normally pulling down my street (20 miles later) it would work. Eventually it wouldn't come on no matter what. I swapped the bulb and finally discovered it was an issue with the ballast as both bulbs would work in one side but neither on the suspect ballast. Your problem is sounding very much like mine so if it is under warranty, I would get with the seller and explain the problem and ask for a new ballast.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Erzer
I had an intermittent issue with my HID's (lows) where sometimes it would come on and stay on. I thought I had it resolved by turning the car on then the lights but eventually that wouldn't work and I would drive for 20 miles or so turning the lights on and off along the way. Normally pulling down my street (20 miles later) it would work. Eventually it wouldn't come on no matter what. I swapped the bulb and finally discovered it was an issue with the ballast as both bulbs would work in one side but neither on the suspect ballast. Your problem is sounding very much like mine so if it is under warranty, I would get with the seller and explain the problem and ask for a new ballast.
Will do, thanks.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a ballast issue.

We had a problem on our z06 where the fog light wiring didnt have enough amperage to trip the relay inside the ballast all the time, so we had to make a harness with a fused link as to where the foglights were hardwired to the battery but the foglight toggle switch tripped a relay to ground the foglights, causing the ballasts to come on every time

Old 03-23-2010, 06:23 PM

Not much to report yet. I sent an email to HIDGate around 2 this afternoon. Waiting on a response.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I waited to give you a response, but I had the same, exact problem. After HIDgate sent me 2 replacement bulbs it took me 3 days to swap out the offending one (drivers).

As I was removing it, one of the wires pulled right out of the base of the bulb. It looks to me that the way I installed it I had too much wire unsupported and it failed from vibration.

Anywho-that's my story for the day.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I waited to give you a response, but I had the same, exact problem. After HIDgate sent me 2 replacement bulbs it took me 3 days to swap out the offending one (drivers).

As I was removing it, one of the wires pulled right out of the base of the bulb. It looks to me that the way I installed it I had too much wire unsupported and it failed from vibration.

Anywho-that's my story for the day.
Interesting, I don't really have time to fool with it tonight, but I don't believe my wires are all that supported. I twist tied them up, but they're pretty much just hanging there.