Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Flip down license plate... install ?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flip down license plate... install ?

I live in Illinois and we need a front license plate!!!! BOO!!!! I don't want to drill holes for an OEM holder, and since I have an SRT, I have an Altec flip-up holder I want to install! I find that the bottom part of the front bumper(where the altec holder attaches, is very flexible. In looking at the possible points of installing it, and I find that the rear attachments would cause the bumper to flex with wind resistance and contact between the holder and the face of the bumper, would cause Bumper damage. How did you ("you"... that have the Altec holder), solidfy this mounting? This may only be a problem with the SRT front bumper! I know there are urethane cushions that can minimize this, and I will use them, but I'm looking for ideas on how this unit can be stabilized.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Default Re: Flip down license plate.. intstall ?

If I'm remembering correctly, and I may not be, the flip up license plate holders are illegal here also. So if you are going to be running illegal just nix the front plate altogether. Other than that I've never tried to mount an Altec on a crossfire so I can't help you on the mounting, but, it sounds like you are going to need to fab up some brackets. Shouldn't be to hard.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:10 PM

Don't know what state you're in ....but are they illegal in Illinois ..... anybody? Yes, I expect to jury rig something, just wanted to get some ideas. If they're illegal in Illinois, I guess i"ll have to go with the OEM holder, or put away a "kitty" fund of $$$ to pay for fines.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't post from home puter as I am not there.
I will send ya photos and scan instructions for you and then send them to you...pm me your e-mail.

Also if I remember I used the existing mounting hole for attaching the plastic tray under the engine where it attaches to the bumper.
I think I drilled into the bottom of the bumper for the two expansion nuts toward the front.
So mine is attached at 3 points....two in front one in back.

Oh and it has held up for untold amount of passes at the strip...and at highway speeds for hours....I been running it for a long time now....only problem is wife hitting parking stop...and me hitting boulder that fell out of semi-dump truck.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 PM

RIOT thanx ...... you have a PM

Old 05-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
Don't know what state you're in ....but are they illegal in Illinois ..... anybody?
I'm in Illinois.
I've put a few of these on street rods but they weren't my cars so I never checked into the legality but I was told that they were illegal here. If you're worried about it check to see if they are legal or not. However I'm guessing you'll get hassled a whole lot less with one of these on than you will with no front plate at all.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Flip down license plate... install ?

Been pulled over by state trooper.....it was broken at the time,showed him the wiring the key fob and the parts in the trunk....he said cool idea but I don't have one on my car get it fixed and installed,and let me go.

I believe as long as its displayed your legal....don't think your gonna pop it up after being pulled over and get away with it....only law I know is it has to be displayed and can't be over so many inches from the road....thats for the 4x4 guys...

Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Im gonna need one of these as I now work in the city and they will give you a ticket when parked without a front plate. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
Im gonna need one of these as I now work in the city and they will give you a ticket when parked without a front plate. Does anyone know where I can buy one?
Maybe you can get a group discount for the five cars in your sig.
Heres one place to buy.
http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...00U-p/400u.htm

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-06-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 PM
FP

Thanks 180.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In Virginia front plate is also required. I just was pulled over for no front plate last week so this thread is particularly relevant to me. I bought the car a month ago and just hadn't gotten around to addressing how I wanted to go about mounting the front plate. The previous owner gave me the OEM plate mount he never used, but I don't want to go that route as it requires drilling.

Instead, I am going to try this route first - 3M Dual Lock. Bought 8 strips on eBay for $3.50. This stuff is what EZPass provides with its transponders to stick the transponder to vehicle windows. I have done a little bit of reading and some online stores sell pieces of this stuff as "license plate mounts - no drilling required". I am going to test it and will update this thread.

The 3M Dual Lock is essentially really strong velcro made out of plastic (no fuzz). The good about it: cheap, low profile, sturdy, waterproof (will test that), alternative to screw mounts. The bad: not secure from theft (anyone could come up and pull off your front plate - but this is not really a concern of mine since I usually drive my car in pretty "safe" areas, and I guess you could always pull off the plate and put it in your car if you were worried about some place you had parked), not sure how adhesive will affect Crossfire paint.

Last edited by beasticles; 11-07-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 480 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
Your gonna park your Crossfire in the city ??

Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 PM
FP

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Your gonna park your Crossfire in the city ??
Only sometimes. But I got a parking ticket Friday for no front plate. I'm on the waiting list for a parking spot in a lot, but I won't be driving as a rule. I'll be taking the train.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Forum Regular

Just an update to this thread, I purchased the 3M Dual Lock per my previous post and installed the front plate with it, using a piece in each corner and a piece in the center of the plate. It works great!

Can't believe more people don't use this method. The tape sticks to the metal of the plate and the paint of the crossfire much better than expected! For those who are concerned about the sturdiness of it, I have already driven upwards of 60-70 mph the plate stays firmly put. My only concern is that if and when I go to remove it, it might take some paint with it (have no way of knowing until the time comes). That being said, I'll take a little touch up of the paint over permanently drilled holes in the bumper any day!

Oh yeah, did I mention 8 pieces of this tape on eBay is $6?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrobinso
Just an update to this thread, I purchased the 3M Dual Lock per my previous post and installed the front plate with it, using a piece in each corner and a piece in the center of the plate. It works great!

Can't believe more people don't use this method. The tape sticks to the metal of the plate and the paint of the crossfire much better than expected! For those who are concerned about the sturdiness of it, I have already driven upwards of 60-70 mph the plate stays firmly put. My only concern is that if and when I go to remove it, it might take some paint with it (have no way of knowing until the time comes). That being said, I'll take a little touch up of the paint over permanently drilled holes in the bumper any day!

Oh yeah, did I mention 8 pieces of this tape on eBay is $6?
Will update in a few months (if I remember) to comment upon the longevity of this setup.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Forum Regular

Just wanted to post up here that the 3M strips are still doing a great job.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrobinso
Just wanted to post up here that the 3M strips are still doing a great job.
Thanks for the report. My car doesn't have a front plate holder and Colorado requires one. Like you, I don't want to have to drill. Out of curiosity, how fast have you driven so far with the 3M tape?