Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Touch up nightmare

Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch up nightmare

Hey everyone-
First off, thanks to everyone who keeps this forum going, moderates, and answer questions. I've been reading the forum regularly for some time and has helped me a lot with my crossfire experience.
So now to the issue at hand-
Some time ago, in the last month, I received a delightful yet oddly shaped scratch to the hood of my xfire. One was considerably deeper than the other but they both appeared to be from the same unknown incident. So after doing some research I ordered the Langka repair kit and got myself some "matching" mopar touch up paint. I am unsure of how many times I would meticulously paint and use the Lanka system to try and get it looking better until I finally gave up. The result is a off color, although very smooth two blue dots on my hood that drive me crazy. No matter what, if I see the hood of the car now I get all levels of angry for how it looks now. So I turn to the experts- Short of repainting my entire hood (for which I don't have the money right now) what options should I try next? Should I try an aerosol spray? Another brand of paint? I'm all ears. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.JPG (1.03 MB, 87 views)
Old 11-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Touch up nightmare

Are you sure you had the proper paint code for the touch-up paint?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One trick we do at our shop is to fill the "crator" or scratch with a few coats of touch up paint. After a day or so, take a razor and scratch off the paint till its more level. Hold the razor so your motion is like when you cut a line of cocaine type of thing. NOT THAT Ive ever done that but you see it in the movies

OK, now take 3000 grit wet sandpaper and scuff up the scratches you made with the razor. Not to hard and only enough to again flatten it out more.

Next (hopefully you have a powered buffer) use rubbing compound and buff the marks from the wet sanding down flatter. Now rebuff it with polishing compound and that will remove the swirls from the rubbing compound.

or take it to a shop, its a rather easy fix that shoulldnt cost more than 200 bucks tops

Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like the color of just the base coat without the top coat applied for an aero blue pearl car. Does it look like the color under the hood on your car?

Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i would recommend removing the touch up paint blob and starting over...

finger nail polish remover will safely remove the touch up paint without harming the original paint on the hood… apply the finger nail polisher remover on a towel and rub lightly – allowing the remover to do the work…

then i would build the touch paint up with several coats well above the factory paint... once dry after about a week or so... go to a well known body shop and ask them to wet sand and buff the touched up area for a smooth finish (should take them about 30 minutes & less than $50 or so).

this is your best solution in my opinion.

credentials – owner of a highline detailing business for over 15 years.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:27 AM

Thanks. I ordered a different brand of touch up paint to see if there's something wrong with the match I have. I also ordered some clear coat. I'm going to call some local shops after I apply the paint and see what they'll do. I really appreciate the help. I will post back hopefully soon with the results if anyones interested. In the meantime I think I'll cruise around and find some small mods I can do-

Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Togroovy
Thanks. I ordered a different brand of touch up paint to see if there's something wrong with the match I have. I also ordered some clear coat. I'm going to call some local shops after I apply the paint and see what they'll do. I really appreciate the help. I will post back hopefully soon with the results if anyones interested. In the meantime I think I'll cruise around and find some small mods I can do-
Togroovy, go by a few shops before you apply the paint to see what they advise, heck they might do it for you. It will also give you some insight as to how the place is run; customer service, look at some work theyve done etc. Our shop actually does small stuff like this for free for repete customers but if you pay a few bucks more, more time gets put into it. Again, the BEST thing you can do is find a shop that has a good reputation, not a bunch of hacks. On a side note, the bodyrepair buisness has changed over the past few years. Not to go into it but shops are eger for buisness, just find one thats eger to do it right and build up their reputation and not one thats simply money hungry eger. PS, thats 3 stage paint and its more expensive and a bit more effort to get it right but nothing thats a real big issue

Last edited by green-ghost; 11-29-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 PM

Looks like your paint isn't matching. I got some touch ups a long time ago from Touch Up Paint Online - Remove Car Scratches. Since I have a metallic paint color, they told me I had to shake it really well and apply in multiple very thin coats. When I first tested it on the inside of the trunk, I brushed on a lot of paint and that didn't quite match too well. But then shaking it and applying in thin coats seems to solve the issue.