Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Strip car for p-job

Old 12-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Strip car for p-job

Hi everyone, Happy ending and of course a happy New Year!

I am thinking about to repaint my car from Aero blue to Alabaster white. The prices here are quite costly for a "p"-job so I am thinking of stripping the car myself before giving it to the painter.

I did some research how to dissassemble the crossfire and have found out the following procedures:

http://www.majormotorshotrods.com/_documentation/2005_Crossfire_SRT6_Service_Manual.pdf?bcsi_scan_E F75DBD09133CBAB=0&bcsi_scan_filename=2005_Crossfir e_SRT6_Service_Manual.pdf

Exterior:

- grille (23-301)

- sidemarks (sidoblinkers)
- front fenders (23-302)
- rocker panel molding (23 - 319) (sidokjolar)
- side louver (23 - 320-324) (luftintag)
- hood (23-325-340)
- door handles (23-289)
- doors (23-279)
- trim panel (23-299)
- windshield (23-449)
- liftgate (23-220-240)
- vinge N/A, SRT, fästen (23 - 309-318)
- fuel fill door (23-308)
- front bumper (13-1)
- foglights (13-1)

- rear bumper (13-6)
- headlamps rear (8L-122)
- headlamps front (8L-115)
- license plate lamp (8L-116)
- marker lamp rear (8L-117)
- marker lamp front (8L-118)
- emblems (23-307)

- sidemirror (8N - 72)

Interior:
- A-pillar trim (insida framrutan) (23-377)
- trim panel - (insida dörrar) (23-299)
- door sill trim plate (23-413)

Paintcode:
- Alabaster Clear Coat (Daimlerchrysler code 960)

Torque specifications: (23-218)

Questions remaining:

1. Any miller special tools needed?

2. As the quarter windows are glued I guess can let them be and try to somewhat bend the rubberframe when painting? The ones I have seen on the net have all let their quarter windows stay put.
3. Should I order some parts? I guess some will break during disassemblement? eg. doorclips, glue?
4. Any idea of what technique / layers etc is needed for using this solid white color?
5. How do I remove the inside of the fuel filler door?
6. Rubbersealings i.e. inside door, liftgate, how are they disassembled?
7. What / which parts were most tough to take off? Any hints on some parts?
8. Regarding the engine bay. I shall see how much I can take off but as I am going to have the car off the painters for 2-3 weeks I might forget how to re-assemble it all.
9. Have anyone repainted their cars? In heinsight, would you have done this again when having seen the results? What did not turn out as you thought, what was harder to disassemble?

Many thanks for all your comments

Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Strip car for p-job

I’d sure have to give some thought to repainting, unless the original paint is bad or the car has been in a major wreck. Stripping a car for a paint job is quite an undertaking to be sure.

Why are you repainting from the blue to the white? You do know the car’s numbers tell what color the original paint was. Besides no matter how much you strip the car, you’ll still miss things like under the hood, the engine bay, radiator braces, in the trunk and such. There’s always something that will give it away.

If you have to repaint, I’d give repainting the original color serious consideration.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

you were sent here to test my good nature weren't you? It is an internet test, isn't it? You aren't really real, and I have to realize that and move on. This is just a test.....this is just a test....

Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There have been many posts by FUBU about this topic. He bought a SRT6 Aero Blue to repaint white & is going to replace all the body parts to make it look like a NA. We have all said to just drop a bigger motor in his current white NA but he decided to go this direction. My guess is that his white car is now sold in Sweden & he bought the SRT6 here in FL. The car is getting shipped to Sweden to have all this done to it I think. I'm sure there will be pictures of all the bumper cover & wing drama that will follow. This should be interesting.....

Old 12-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FUBU it might be worth sending a PM to 'The bodyman' here in the UK. He had an SSB coupe which he has painted white. I haven't seen the car in person yet but the reports are good and the pictures look great. He also happens to be a very experienced body mechanic and sprayer, so could be of some good help to you!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM

Found a link:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ur-change.html

Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by andyd
FUBU it might be worth sending a PM to 'The bodyman' here in the UK. He had an SSB coupe which he has painted white. I haven't seen the car in person yet but the reports are good and the pictures look great. He also happens to be a very experienced body mechanic and sprayer, so could be of some good help to you!
Thanks Andy d! Yep I have been discussing with him for a month now. Just wanted to share ideas and research with the forum. I had a white N/A before and like the colour. Will see if the SRT aero lue blows my mind when it arrives. If not I will dissassemble it and repaint it. I am a bit worried about the quarter windows. As they are fastened with glue I will probably let them stay on. And this bodyman did aswell. I wonder if he managed to get the paint/clearcoat underneath the rubberseals...

Old 12-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by KimPossible
There have been many posts by FUBU about this topic. He bought a SRT6 Aero Blue to repaint white & is going to replace all the body parts to make it look like a NA. We have all said to just drop a bigger motor in his current white NA but he decided to go this direction. My guess is that his white car is now sold in Sweden & he bought the SRT6 here in FL. The car is getting shipped to Sweden to have all this done to it I think. I'm sure there will be pictures of all the bumper cover & wing drama that will follow. This should be interesting.....
Hi,

Well thanks for doing a recap on my life and as for now the front lip stays on as it is well fit. even better than the N/A front. The rear wing I will have to wait until I see it IRL. I have all the parts (BCM and even a donor tailgate) and a german mechanic at Karmann that is helping me with schmatics, partsnumbers, detail stages and so forth. No drama there ..

I sold the N/A actually to Norway so I will still be the single Aero SRT, and possibly the one and only white SRT in Sweden. The wing stays on if it is fit.

I am just doing a bit of research so I can make my mind up easier. If it is too hard to disassemble the car I will not do it myself. But I have been working a lot with other vehicles (changing TBs, Airboxes, changing all bushes on a vehicle) so I might be able to pull it off. Especially with the PDF service manual for the SRT.

But as you say Miss Kim, it will sure be interesting! And possible?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is more than a 90% chance the Q. Panel windows would break if you tried to cut them out. tape them off, but that is the least of your worries. pulling the motor, doors , interior parts to get the door jams painted. will be a nightmare. Just leave it be .. Its a nice color.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Alabaster white is a fantastic colour. If they produced it in England in the SRT-6 spec I would have one!

My hat is off to you. You have expressed your dreams and aspirations here on the forum and have met with a hell of a lot of negativity from so called 'friends' in the Crossfire community. So far you have stayed true to your word and have done what you said you were going to. I wish you every success with your future plans. It's your life and your car, do what gives you pleasure! If you keep it Aero you have an awesome car, and if you change it to Alabaster you will probably have the only white SRT in the world.

I, for one, will be following closely!

Regards, Andy.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, the crossfires I've seen the engine bay and assorted sheet metal, like shock towers are the same color (colour [for our English friends]) as the body. That one picture, sure looks like the shock towers and other areas are white, maybe it's the reflection of the sun on the lens.

But, then it's still a lot of work as in $$$$$ per hour. Saying all of that, I'll say it looks like a really good paint job and the car is stunning.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by vpats
I dunno, the crossfires I've seen the engine bay and assorted sheet metal, like shock towers are the same color (colour [for our English friends]) as the body. That one picture, sure looks like the shock towers and other areas are white, maybe it's the reflection of the sun on the lens.

But, then it's still a lot of work as in $$$$$ per hour. Saying all of that, I'll say it looks like a really good paint job and the car is stunning.

The car in the link does look great, looks like all the underhood area is white. I would not be afraid to rip my car apart for paint, I wish I could use a spray gun. Im good with the mechanical parts of cars, not the paint/body work. It would be a great project if it could be done alone or with friends help. It will cost alot real quick if it is completely up to a body shop.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:39 PM

Belay the nix, all naysaying gents. I have stripped a couple auto's in the past for a colour change (inside and out, back when chrome was plentiful) and the challenge is not that overwhelming. With an abundance of love and labour, it can be a most rewarding endeavor.

Good luck, FUBU.

EDIT: "with an abundance of love and labour" .-. not necessarily in that order.

And BTW, there are myriad shades of white, many more appealing than the alabaster, so pick your colour creatively.

Last edited by Hambletonian; 12-30-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, to do it right, you will need to strip the interior, and pull the engine along with all of the exterior pieces. If you do not do it right, you will regret your decision in the long run. Having said that, follow your dreams my friend. It will definitely make for an interesting thread to log pictures of the dis-assembly, paint, and re-assembly.

Remember, anything can be done with the right amount of resources and capitol.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It all depends on what you mean by strip the car. If your talking about taking it apart and then changing the color, do it if thats what you really want. If you talking about removing the paint down to bare metal, don't even think it.

Les

Old 12-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Dont sweat the quarter windows. theres a special tape designed for things like that, our painter showed it to me once but we dont use it much at all. Or he can back tape the rubber around the window enough to get paint in there.

Have you given any thought to customizing the current color by graphics or a cool 2 tone (blue/white) kinda like beaner did to his car? You get a different look with the alabaster white and dont have to worry about inside the engine bay etc.

Pooly

Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by green-ghost
Dont sweat the quarter windows. theres a special tape designed for things like that, our painter showed it to me once but we dont use it much at all. Or he can back tape the rubber around the window enough to get paint in there.

Have you given any thought to customizing the current color by graphics or a cool 2 tone (blue/white) kinda like beaner did to his car? You get a different look with the alabaster white and dont have to worry about inside the engine bay etc.

Pooly
That would look good.. I think someone on the site has an SRT with white racing stripes painted on, (Blue car /White stripes) like the viper.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
There is more than a 90% chance the Q. Panel windows would break if you tried to cut them out. tape them off, but that is the least of your worries. pulling the motor, doors , interior parts to get the door jams painted. will be a nightmare. Just leave it be .. Its a nice color.
Hi! Okay I will leave the windows were they are. Pulling out the motor is unnecessary, Bodyman from UK did it without pulling it out. Well if thats a nightmare just to take off the doors, never change bushes all around the car.. That is a nightmare to some but a dream to others as it is quite relaxing and good for the mind to do somthing different than daily life.

I just need to take off some parts in the enginebay and than it is all done for the enginebay.
The other parts will not be that bad. Most worried about the rubberseals etc.. but hey, everything is possible.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hambletonian
Belay the nix, all naysaying gents. I have stripped a couple auto's in the past for a colour change (inside and out, back when chrome was plentiful) and the challenge is not that overwhelming. With an abundance of love and labour, it can be a most rewarding endeavor.

Good luck, FUBU.

EDIT: "with an abundance of love and labour" .-. not necessarily in that order.

And BTW, there are myriad shades of white, many more appealing than the alabaster, so pick your colour creatively.
Thanks man! I will see about the Aero blue, if it is nice it is staying. If not I am definitely going for a little strip on hollywood blvd.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by green-ghost

Pooly
Ok cool, thanks for the headsup about the tape. Well 2 toned would be cool but I prefer the alabaster white. I am not a boyracer so I want it to be classic / elegant.

Quick Reply: Strip car for p-job