Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

High Beams Out - Not the Switch, Though

Old 04-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Beams Out - Not the Switch, Though

Hey guys,

Having a problem with my high beams, 05 Roadster Ltd. Stopped coming on last fall before I put the car away. High beam indicator on dash stopped coming on, too.

Read here that it was likely the headlight switch. So bought a used one off eBay. Just took the car out for the summer, put the used switch in, and no dice. Same problem. Checked the bulbs themselves again, too, in case they failed over the winter. Nope. Checked fuses again. All fine. Stock headlights, no HID or other mods. Have some HID-look bulbs in, that's it. Tried swapping them out with the working standard bulbs, too, no change.

Any suggestions? I suppose the switch I bought could be messed up as well. Got it from a wrecker, so no absolute guarantees. Hate to take this into a dealership, as I'm afraid this is going to get very expensive, very fast.

One somewhat weird thing. Last fall, I just had the highs stop working, the dash light stop as well. Now I'm getting the light out indicator. Have been since before I changed the switch. Probably doesn't mean anything, but odd.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: High Beams Out -- Not the Switch, Though

I had the same problem when I first bought my car. The dealer had to replace the multifunction switch Part# 5098519AA and also the lighting module # 5098638AA .

Old 04-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: High Beams Out -- Not the Switch, Though

Originally Posted by robby363
I had the same problem when I first bought my car. The dealer had to replace the multifunction switch Part# 5098519AA and also the lighting module # 5098638AA .
When dealers change two parts it means one part was NFG but they changed two parts as they thought one of them was broken but not sure which.
Had that not solved the issue then they would then keep changing parts until the problem was fixed or you had ran out of money.
If you look at page 8W-50-4 in the 2004 repair manual you will see that the circuit is a simple one. With a meter you can check where there is power with the headlight on high beam. The module referred to is the headlamp switch, calling it a module means they can charge more for it.
Check for power at the two fuses and work back if there is no power and forward if there is power. Check the ground for the bulbs before you do too much.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-24-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Default Re: High Beams Out - Not the Switch, Though

Thanks a lot for the info. So, seems pretty likely it's the multifunction switch? Sounds like something I'll need to go to the dealership for, because based on the instructions here elsewhere, this is some work I won't want to do myself.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Toddy
Thanks a lot for the info. So, seems pretty likely it's the multifunction switch? Sounds like something I'll need to go to the dealership for, because based on the instructions here elsewhere, this is some work I won't want to do myself.
Oh, checked power at fuses and lights, btw. Fine there.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddy
It's your money but soon to be someone else's by your remarks.
I think you misread the posts if you have concluded it's the multi function switch. The switch and illumination module probably cost $500-$600 together plus labor. I would want to know what, if anything, was broken before I trusted the stealership with my car.
Go into the stealership and you will come out $1,000 lighter if you are not careful.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It's your money but soon to be someone else's by your remarks.
I think you misread the posts if you have concluded it's the multi function switch. The switch and illumination module probably cost $500-$600 together plus labor. I would want to know what, if anything, was broken before I trusted the stealership with my car.
Go into the stealership and you will come out $1,000 lighter if you are not careful.
I'm not a mechanic. I can't test everything on my own, and lack the room and tools to do a lot here. I'm also 6'4 300 pounds, which makes it hard to do a whole lot of fine work under the dash with the Xfire.

I would never, ever, go into a dealership blind. That's why I replaced the headlight switch, er module myself yesterday. That said, I've sourced a steering column for $135 with the switch in it. I have a good friend who's a class A who can probably do the work on the switch for me.

I can't think of another way to go here. Can you? It sure sounds like this problem is always either the module, the switch, or both.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not mean to post in this thread.. please see my new thread.