Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

High Beams

Old 06-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Beams

Not long ago I replaced my stock low-beams (after one burnt out) with 4300K HIDs. I couldn't be happier with the brightness and performance. Not able to stand the difference between halogens and the HIDs, I replaced my high beams with the same kits as the lows. This was fine when they were on for a while on curvy, country back roads, but in the city when I would need to flash someone to go, etc., the HIDs just do not warm up quick enough to provide and instant burst of light like the halogens.

Therefore, I ordered a highly-recommended pair of Osram Nightbreakers. After installation, I honestly do not see much of a difference in color temperature from the stock bulbs. I am hoping that there is an option I am overlooking--boy do I wish LED technology was advance enough to produce aftermarket LED headlights. Please fill me with suggestions if you have any. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: High Beams

I gave up looking, and buying, highbeam replacements to "match" my 5000K HID lows. Snake oil is cheaper.

My collection of "HID Matching" halogens H7's looks like a chess set! I ended up where I started-Sylvania SilverStar Ultras. They don't match, but they are bright...

Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Forum Regular

I've got 6000K 55w in both highs and lows, and while the high beams don't warm up to full brightness fast enough to rapidly flash my brights, they do provide an initial burst of brightness that's enough of an attention getter (in my opinion).

I'd say the fact that we have separated bulbs is enough of an attention getter even if they aren't that bright.

The only thing I can say is maybe try getting 55w ballasts (if you don't have them already)?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:54 AM

I'll be honest, I ordered the cheapest pair of HIDs on eBay just to give them a try, Xentec I believe. They haven't given me a problem so I am sticking with them until I will run upon a deal on some Morimotos or a higher-end set of Xenons. I suppose I am quite ignorant about HIDs--would you guess the set I have is 55w or not?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smokey847
I'll be honest, I ordered the cheapest pair of HIDs on eBay just to give them a try, Xentec I believe. They haven't given me a problem so I am sticking with them until I will run upon a deal on some Morimotos or a higher-end set of Xenons. I suppose I am quite ignorant about HIDs--would you guess the set I have is 55w or not?
I would bet they're 35w. 55w are harder to come by, and are slightly more expensive usually. For instance, the company I buy them from doesn't even stock 55w in the store anymore. You have to special order them and they ship from china

But I've never had 35w ballasts so I can't really make a comparison of the two.

Do your bulbs flash bright for a second, then dim, and gradually get brighter and brighter? Because thats what mine do

Alternatively, (and not too familiar with these to be honest) but my dad has bulbs that I believe are called HIR's on his truck. Really bright, color temp is similar to halogen though.