Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

turn signal socket

Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 PM
PSD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: turn signal socket

i did grind it just a tad, works great. the bulb check light on the dash has been on for a while now, i figured out the car has side lights, didn't consider that since they were all burned out. replacing those and the tag lights fixed the bulb check problem.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I can only speak for what I know - the left one SEEMS ot have a tendency to fail: the contact from socket to housing (Not socket to bulb) burns down. By applying a light amount of solder to the contact on the socket (after a little burnishing/filing), you build the contact up about 1/32". Just enough so that it looks like the other one.

I have no idea if my fix will last long term, but I suspect it will. Only time will tell.

What I mean is, this is now the fourth time in the past two weeks someone has indicated that the left one has failed on them.
I did exactly what you did and it working so far why the contact burns off anybody guess

Old 07-15-2019, 07:11 PM
PSD

my guess. the left side must draw more current or the contact has less area. also over time the contact get corrosion which further reduces the area available for power transfer. very tiny aching occurs at the connection which erodes away the contact.
that's why I think dielectric grease would help.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:33 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by sfccona
I did exactly what you did and it working so far why the contact burns off anybody guess
They burn because the contact pressure becomes too light and a spark burns a hole in the metal. Removing the socket and. Slightly bending the contact to increase the pressure and prevent sparking.
Corrosion of the contact surfaces could also cause sparking. The use of electrical grease on the contact faces would prevent corrosion.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:12 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by PSD
my guess. the left side must draw more current or the contact has less area. also over time the contact get corrosion which further reduces the area available for power transfer. very tiny aching occurs at the connection which erodes away the contact.
that's why I think dielectric grease would help.
I think math has the answer, not so much physics.

CONSIDER:
The left turn signal is on more than the right.

Think about left versus right turns, sitting at a light waiting to turn left versus a right turn. Right turns can be made on red most anywhere, left - only onto a one-way street. You will wait longer with the turn signal on doing left turns than right turns.

Ah, Mathematics, my old, best and most reliable friend.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I think math has the answer, not so much physics.

CONSIDER:
The left turn signal is on more than the right.

Think about left versus right turns, sitting at a light waiting to turn left versus a right turn. Right turns can be made on red most anywhere, left - only onto a one-way street. You will wait longer with the turn signal on doing left turns than right turns.

Ah, Mathematics, my old, best and most reliable friend.
I think your argument does not add up.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:20 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I think I use the right turn signal more than the left. Most left turns here are made from a designated left turn lane. If I’m in a designated turn lane I don’t leave my signal on. Where else am I gonna go? Right turns are usually made from the right traffic lane. I want people behind me to know I’m turning as opposed to going straight and hence I use the right signal more.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:22 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I, like most other rural Alabamians, am learning to use the right turn signal when I turn left, and vice-versa ( if I use it at all )

Old 07-16-2019, 01:27 PM
JSK

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I, like most other rural Alabamians, am learning to use the right turn signal when I turn left, and vice-versa ( if I use it at all )
Well that does keep everyone on their toes!

Old 07-16-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by JSK
Well that does keep everyone on their toes!
What bugs me most are drivers who use the brake before they use the signal lights. Most times you know which way they are turning before they use the signal light.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:56 PM
JSK

That’s a effort conserving function, as you turn the wheel you just extend the fingers on your left hand and they engage the turn signal lever as they go by.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM
PSD

i don't use turn signal sitting in the left turn lane. if other drivers can't figure out I'm turning left they shouldn't be driving.
I do use signals when slowing down to turn either way, just so the guy tailgating me doesn't get more infuriated.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by PSD
i don't use turn signal sitting in the left turn lane. if other drivers can't figure out I'm turning left they shouldn't be driving.
I do use signals when slowing down to turn either way, just so the guy tailgating me doesn't get more infuriated.
I signal before I start to slow down, surely that is the safest method of all?

My wife worked with a lady that never turned left, she accomplished a lefthand turn by passing where she should have turned left and then doing three righthand turns.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:56 PM
PSD

yes, have to signal way in advance of slowing down. sometimes that isn't enough, they feel you are inconveniencing them and they still get mad.

the right turn lady must have been a UPS driver.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Certain people will appreciate using the left turn signal when they don't and the car behind them attempts a pass on the left. They will appreciate it when said passing car impacts them on that left side. If they did not communicate to those behind them that they were turning left then consider buying new cars often (and paying a higher insurance payment). ANY change of direction should be communicated to others, THATS ONE REASON THE DAMN LEFT/RIGHT TURN THINGS ARE THERE.