Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Repaint: Black to White

Old 11-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Repaint: Black to White

I am considering respraying my black coupe an arctic white (GM code 10) and trying to decide what to leave black. I had a Fiero like that and my Judge is white with black accents (grilles, hood tach, spoiler, wheel centers) but having rouble visualizing what would look good (e.g. spoiler - white on top and black on bottom ?).

Any thoughts out there ? As you can see in the sig, I have others that are white/black but having trouble with the XF.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: Repaint: Black to White

Originally Posted by Padgett
I am considering respraying my black coupe an arctic white (GM code 10) and trying to decide what to leave black. I had a Fiero like that and my Judge is white with black accents (grilles, hood tach, spoiler, wheel centers) but having rouble visualizing what would look good (e.g. spoiler - white on top and black on bottom ?).

Any thoughts out there ? As you can see in the sig, I have others that are white/black but having trouble with the XF.
Paint every thing white except the wheel wells, the underside, the body under the hood, paint the hood though and inside.
Black is the only color that should be under the hood in the engine bay, white would look crappy and it saves yanking the engine etc. Any thing else looks like a cheap job.

See the job Fubu did on his car for an excellent job, his was Aero Blue to white. It looks professional not chintzy.
You really have to strip the car, no black should show except in the areas I mentioned. When you have black and with white over spray sitting side by side you'll kick you ***, or somebody else should.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I would consider buying a white car and selling the black. Unless your current car has some special interest to you.

James

Old 11-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Paint every thing white except the wheel wells, the underside, the body under the hood, paint the hood though and inside.
Black is the only color that should be under the hood in the engine bay, white would look crappy and it saves yanking the engine etc. Any thing else looks like a cheap job.

See the job Fubu did on his car for an excellent job, his was Aero Blue to white. It looks professional not chintzy.
You really have to strip the car, no black should show except in the areas I mentioned. When you have black and with white over spray sitting side by side you'll kick you ***, or somebody else should.
You may be getting older, but you're still making great sense these days

I actually really like the idea of painting a black car white, simply for the black engine bay. When I had my white coupe, my BIGGEST complaint was the dingy, dirty look of the "white" paint in the engine bay. Despite my most valiant efforts, the paint never became much brighter than bone... and the thousands of nooks and crannies retained the road grime. A black engine bay would have made my life much easier.

As for the rest of the visible areas, yes -- all white.