Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Multi-function Switch/Headlight switch replacement?

Old 02-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Multi-function Switch/Headlight switch replacement?

Thank you very much guys, my part will be here pretty soon. Both passenger side blinkers don't work as of recently. They sometimes work for the first few right turns of my drive. I did some research and found that this is most likely the problem, I will let ya'll know how it goes. Things really start acting up at 130k miles

Old 02-19-2018, 10:29 PM

Update. I have replaced the multi function switch recently and it fixed my problem. On another note, since the replacement my airbag light is on. Does anybody know how i can fix this or what the problem may be? I am going to pull the steering wheel airbag off tomorrow, unplug and re plug in the airbag. Maybe i failed to plug it in all the way?

Old 02-19-2018, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stop.... Make sure you remove the battery cables BEFORE you attempt to unplug the airbag. If not ,you will be going to a dealer to have that reset..

Old 02-19-2018, 11:01 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Stop.... Make sure you remove the battery cables BEFORE you attempt to unplug the airbag. If not ,you will be going to a dealer to have that reset..
Too late for that bit of advice as the light is on now.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 AM

I did indeed unplug the negative terminal and shield it from the battery a full hour before doing the job and taking things apart. Is their anything else that could of done it? even so am i screwed and have to take it to the dealer to have it reset?

Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

It can be reset with a Launch CRP 123 scanner ( $150 at Amazon ).
Nice scanner to have on hand anyway.
Heck, dealer ( stealer ) would probably charge that anyway, AND find 3 or 4 other things that you just GOT to have fixed.

BTW, Crystal here on the forum verified that it works ! ( I had let her borrow my CRP 123 )

Old 02-20-2018, 07:44 PM

Thanks i really appreciate the information guy's. I am going to check with my local shop to see if they can clear it, i really like them a lot. if not ill buy the scanner and it will be nice to have. Crossfire owners are lucky to have this forum because nobody seems to know a damn thing about our cars in our local worlds.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:39 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Charismatism
Got the job done, only took me 4 or so hours with my ADD. Not bad - a brake job takes me longer, lol.

The junkyard unit had some corrosion on the aluminum casting, and some of the connections seemed a little iffy. Upon pulling the switch out of my steering column, it was in visually better shape, so I was worried that my replacement wasn't going to work but I went through with it. Turn signals both work, high beams and even flash-to-pass now work. Really relieved that I've finally done this after 3 years this month of owning this car and the issue getting steadily worse.

Some issues I came across during the replacement:
The countersunk 10MM screw holding the steering wheel on was a pain - if I had a friend it would've been easy to hold it still and turn the breaker bar, however I managed to get my foot on it and steady the wheel enough to break it loose. An impact probably would've done it too but I don't have air in my garage.
The two electrical connector retainers in the multifunction switch for the clockspring had me confused for quite a while until I realized I had to pry two tabs down instead of one to slide them through.
A lot of screws were missing in the lower instrument panel, it's apparent that it's been removed before. It was a pain getting the instrument panel back in place because gravity really didn't want to let it go while I was trying to start the screws in it, but after some wiggling I could hold my knee against the bolsters to hold it in place.

I was going to make a writeup on it because there's very little said on here about replacing the multifunction switch as far as time, cost, other potential parts needed, but I found a thorough writeup for the R170 SLK that was exactly the same for our non-SRT cars apart from us not having a screw in the driver side air nozzle vent, which you pry out around the edges with a plastic wedge tool instead. That write-up, with photos can be found here: Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Turn Signal Stalk and Combination Switch Replacement | 1998-2004 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Multifunction switch Mercedes-Benz part #170 540 03 44
I am about to begin this R&R and wanted to find a new "best price" and I think I was successful $198.95 plus about $18.00 shipping so here is the link https://www.mbpartspros.com/oem-part...SABEgIQK_D_BwE

Old 02-10-2020, 08:01 PM

Got the job done, only took me 4 or so hours with my ADD. Not bad - a brake job takes me longer, lol.

The junkyard unit had some corrosion on the aluminum casting, and some of the connections seemed a little iffy. Upon pulling the switch out of my steering column, it was in visually better shape, so I was worried that my replacement wasn't going to work but I went through with it. Turn signals both work, high beams and even flash-to-pass now work. Really relieved that I've finally done this after 3 years this month of owning this car and the issue getting steadily worse.

The countersunk 10MM screw holding the steering wheel on was a pain - if I had a friend it would've been easy to hold it still and turn the breaker bar, however I managed to get my foot on it and steady the wheel enough to break it loose. An impact probably would've done it too but I don't have air in my garage.
The two electrical connector retainers in the multifunction switch for the clockspring had me confused for quite a while until I realized I had to pry two tabs down instead of one to slide them through.
A lot of screws were missing in the lower instrument panel, it's apparent that it's been removed before. It was a pain getting the instrument panel back in place because gravity really didn't want to let it go while I was trying to start the screws in it, but after some wiggling I could hold my knee against the bolsters to hold it in place.

I was going to make a writeup on it because there's very little said on here about replacing the multifunction switch as far as time, cost, other potential parts needed, but I found a thorough writeup for the R170 SLK that was exactly the same for our non-SRT cars apart from us not having a screw in the driver side air nozzle vent, which you pry out around the edges with a plastic wedge tool instead. That write-up, with photos can be found here: Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Turn Signal Stalk and Combination Switch Replacement | 1998-2004 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

I am about to begin this R&R and wanted to find a new "best price" and I think I was successful $198.95 plus about $18.00 shipping so here is the link https://www.mbpartspros.com/oem-part...SABEgIQK_D_BwE

Old 02-10-2020, 08:06 PM

I am about to begin this R&R and wanted to find a new "best price" and I think I was successful $198.95 plus about $18.00 shipping MBPARTSPROS.com