Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Multi-function Switch/Headlight switch replacement?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi-function Switch/Headlight switch replacement?

So I've had turn signal/high beam problems with my car since I bought it in 2013, though I did not realize it at the time otherwise I would have had it warrantied from the dealer -___-

Anyway, the high beams-on and "flash-to-pass" do not work, neither does the left turn signal. The 4-ways work flawlessly though, and there is no faulty bulb indicator lit, so I can figure that it's not bulbs or the headlight units themselves.

I picked up a multifunction switch from the junkyard for 40$, I figure for that price it's a painless hit or miss whether or not it's any good. But before I start tearing my steering wheel off (first timer!), is there anything I should look out for? I see in the service manual that the clockspring needs removed. Is there any particular procedure or special precautions/care needing to be taken? Should I expect to have to replace anything else? Taking a 13 hour drive in a month and I'd like my left-hand blinkers...

Thanks in advance y'all! I'll post pictures of the process with testimonials once I get started.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Multi-function Switch/Headlight switch replacement?

One thing for sure before you start : you are dealing with an air bag, make sure you disconnect the battery before starting and for NO reason reconnect it while you have the air bag disconnected !

Old 04-06-2016, 09:55 PM

Oh definitely - I've made plans to let the car sit overnight with the key on and the battery unplugged. The service manual makes it seem easier than I feel it's going to be though - the junkyard guy said the switch was a PITA for him to get out, which sort of concerns me.. Unless of course, it was a PITA because he had to go through a bunch of **** to get to it rather than cut it out like they can for most parts...

Old 04-18-2016, 10:57 PM

Got the job done, only took me 4 or so hours with my ADD. Not bad - a brake job takes me longer, lol.

The junkyard unit had some corrosion on the aluminum casting, and some of the connections seemed a little iffy. Upon pulling the switch out of my steering column, it was in visually better shape, so I was worried that my replacement wasn't going to work but I went through with it. Turn signals both work, high beams and even flash-to-pass now work. Really relieved that I've finally done this after 3 years this month of owning this car and the issue getting steadily worse.

Some issues I came across during the replacement:
The countersunk 10MM screw holding the steering wheel on was a pain - if I had a friend it would've been easy to hold it still and turn the breaker bar, however I managed to get my foot on it and steady the wheel enough to break it loose. An impact probably would've done it too but I don't have air in my garage.
The two electrical connector retainers in the multifunction switch for the clockspring had me confused for quite a while until I realized I had to pry two tabs down instead of one to slide them through.
A lot of screws were missing in the lower instrument panel, it's apparent that it's been removed before. It was a pain getting the instrument panel back in place because gravity really didn't want to let it go while I was trying to start the screws in it, but after some wiggling I could hold my knee against the bolsters to hold it in place.

I was going to make a writeup on it because there's very little said on here about replacing the multifunction switch as far as time, cost, other potential parts needed, but I found a thorough writeup for the R170 SLK that was exactly the same for our non-SRT cars apart from us not having a screw in the driver side air nozzle vent, which you pry out around the edges with a plastic wedge tool instead. That write-up, with photos can be found here: Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Turn Signal Stalk and Combination Switch Replacement | 1998-2004 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Multifunction switch Mercedes-Benz part #170 540 03 44

Old 04-18-2016, 11:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

GREAT ! Just got my replacement in the mail Saturday.. and pending rain ending will be installing it. Just wondering.. the harness plug end.. can that be plugged in prior to dis assembly for testing the replacement?

Old 04-18-2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
GREAT ! Just got my replacement in the mail Saturday.. and pending rain ending will be installing it. Just wondering.. the harness plug end.. can that be plugged in prior to dis assembly for testing the replacement?
Why yes Greg.. if you would have read the article you would see the plug is off under the headlight switch module.. good luck on the project..

Old 04-18-2016, 11:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just read this and thought of you. Did your part come from N.Y., or did you find it elsewhere an how much ?

Old 04-19-2016, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Just read this and thought of you. Did your part come from N.Y., or did you find it elsewhere an how much ?
No since his response was "this is just a test".. well I found one on Ebay for $50 shipped.. bonus side.. it's from an SRT6 .. so a possible HP increase is there I think..

Or at least at get togethers.. I can claim a little special SRT6 add on.. LOL.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Can anyone confirm that the Mercedes multifunction switch is an exact match for the Chrysler? My mechanic is saying the plug in is different? Curious if what the actual switch says when it is removed for replacement. Thank you so much for helping clarify!! I really need my right turn signal, it is the only part that doesn't work, I guess the plastic channel is damaged.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgCA
Can anyone confirm that the Mercedes multifunction switch is an exact match for the Chrysler? My mechanic is saying the plug in is different? Curious if what the actual switch says when it is removed for replacement. Thank you so much for helping clarify!! I really need my right turn signal, it is the only part that doesn't work, I guess the plastic channel is damaged.
You can be assured that it is a Mercedes switch, what one is the question. It will have the Mercedes part number on it for sure. These parts are on eBay all the time, maybe if you studied the Mercedes ones and compared them to the ones sold for the Crossfire you could pick one out. Look at the ones said to be for the pre 2004 SLK series for a start. Some of them should give the Mercedes part number.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:42 PM

Thank u for a quick reply. I realized after I wrote this I should have given more info. 2004 Crossfire. I've run across a couple of different Mercedes parts #'s: 1705400344 is the switch my mechanic says has a different connection but the part # referenced above. If anyone that has taken out the old can confirm the correct Mercedes part #, I would be most appreciative. Dealer wants $550 for it, Mercedes half.
A couple of years back I had to replace the ignition switch. My mechanic would not guarantee that the Mercedes part was an exact fit, so I had him order it from Chrysler at 2x the cost. I asked for my old parts back, they were in the new box that shipped directly from Mercedes. Discouraging to say the least!
Does anyone know if a basic/comprehensive cross reference list has been published? If so, would love a copy!!
Thanks again!!

Old 04-16-2017, 06:32 PM

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t-numbers.html

Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 PM

I don't seem to be able to open the link. Could you double check and let me if it is a problem on my end.
Thanks!!

Old 04-16-2017, 11:39 PM

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...t-numbers.html

Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 AM

Same thing I had posted, Greg.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Same thing I had posted, Greg.
Maybe, but your link did not work for me, MrM's did.
The Pelican Parts site is a better site to find Mercedes part numbers.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Maybe, but your link did not work for me, MrM's did.
The Pelican Parts site is a better site to find Mercedes part numbers.
Yep, you are correct sir ! ( did I say how much I hate computers ? )

Old 04-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yep, you are correct sir ! ( did I say how much I hate computers ? )
No problem, I find it is best to check any links I provide and I generally put the site under a CLICK using the 'insert link' option, that seems to work better pour moi.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:48 PM

I will be changing my multi function switch/ turn signal stock in a few days on my 2005 crossfire 6 spd. Did anyone figure out if the Mercedes part has the same plug as the Chrysler part? Thanks.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by charlestoncrossfire
I will be changing my multi function switch/ turn signal stock in a few days on my 2005 crossfire 6 spd. Did anyone figure out if the Mercedes part has the same plug as the Chrysler part? Thanks.
You can rely on the plug being the same because you will buy a Mercedes switch, do not buy a part using the Chrysler part number or you will pay way to much for it. The Mercedes part number will be on the part, use that number.
It will be the same plug as it will be the same part.

Quick Reply: Multi-function Switch/Headlight switch replacement?