Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

How to replace grilles?

Old 12-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace grilles?

Just got a grille set and haven't found any videos or write ups on how to swap the grilles on the XF.

Anything I need to know before trying to figure it out on my own?

Old 12-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Default Re: How to replace grilles?

Nevermind. Instructions came with grille.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Which grille did you buy?

Old 12-07-2016, 09:02 PM

Set of SS mesh. Looks fantastic! I'm having trouble understanding how to install the bottoms ones though.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by coryforman
Set of SS mesh. Looks fantastic! I'm having trouble understanding how to install the bottoms ones though.
Not sure on that set, as I have had the other 2 available. On those sets the bottoms actually attach to the existing plastic grilles. Then snap them back in. Those may do the same...good luck...

OH wait, did they come from Great Britain? Or, USA?

Old 12-07-2016, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Not sure on that set, as I have had the other 2 available. On those sets the bottoms actually attach to the existing plastic grilles. Then snap them back in. Those may do the same...good luck...

OH wait, did they come from Great Britain? Or, USA?
They came from Canada actually, the brand is APS I believe, don't quote me on that.

The instructions say something about them clamping onto the existing ones and it gives me bolts and all that... I just have no idea what to do. Do I take the old ones out and then attach the new ones to them? Can I just attach them somehow without taking the old ones out? How do I take the old ones out? The instructions suck!

Old 12-08-2016, 07:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

They came from Canada actually, the brand is APS I believe, don't quote me on that.

The instructions say something about them clamping onto the existing ones and it gives me bolts and all that... I just have no idea what to do. Do I take the old ones out and then attach the new ones to them? Can I just attach them somehow without taking the old ones out? How do I take the old ones out? The instructions suck!
I bought a set from a company in Florida. Billet aluminum. Carefully snap out the existing black plastic grilles, they just snap in place. Fit the new grilles over them, attach with wire ties and snap back in place. Really quite simple. The top grille, that is another story. The system of bolts etc. I was supposed to use just wouldn't work for me. Just could not get in there. I ended up using LONG sheet metal screws to hold it in place. Has been fine for over a two years. now. HEY, good luck.
Bill T.

Last edited by Billto; 08-05-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added two years now instead of one year.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

The OEM lower grills pivot from the center of the car. Look at the outward end and you will see a hole in which you can insert a flat blade screw driver; with the screw drive press the tab of the grill outward and that end of the grill unsnaps from the car. There are two "L" shaped ends on the inboard end of the grill; the grill will pivot out and the two "L' shaped tabs will easily release. The grill on the drivers side also has the outside air temperature sensor attached. Be careful to release that so you do not damage it while removing the grill.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by zip439
The OEM lower grills pivot from the center of the car. Look at the outward end and you will see a hole in which you can insert a flat blade screw driver; with the screw drive press the tab of the grill outward and that end of the grill unsnaps from the car. There are two "L" shaped ends on the inboard end of the grill; the grill will pivot out and the two "L' shaped tabs will easily release. The grill on the drivers side also has the outside air temperature sensor attached. Be careful to release that so you do not damage it while removing the grill.
So use a flat head screwdriver into a hole on the outside of the car? I haven't looked for any holes, just making sure I don't need to do anything under the hood to get them out.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sit down an looking at the bottom grill you will see the holes. Left an right side.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

You do not even open the hood. The holes (one hole in each grill) are in the two small lower grills themselves.
Just for info the larger center grill comes out easily also. I must remove it to clean/oil the air filter on the cold air intake. It has some tabs on the bottom were it meets the bumper cover, and you unscrew the screws you see on the top of the grill when you have the hood open. It will lift easily out. I unscrew those screws on the top and reach down behind the grill from the top to release the tabs which hold it to the bumper cover.

Last edited by zip439; 12-08-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
You do not even open the hood. The holes (one hole in each grill) are in the two small lower grills themselves.
Just for info the larger center grill comes out easily also. I must remove it to clean/oil the air filter on the cold air intake. It has some tabs on the bottom were it meets the bumper cover, and you unscrew the screws you see on the top of the grill when you have the hood open. It will lift easily out. I unscrew those screws on the top and reach down behind the grill from the top to release the tabs which hold it to the bumper cover.
The highlighted text above is most important as just pulling at the grille after removing the screws will succeed in breaking the tabs off.