Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

DIY Grille Paint?

Old 07-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DIY Grille Paint?

Just wanted to see who has DIY'd their front grille. I have an SRT6 and the paint could use a touch up. What colors have you used? What did you use to prep the surface? What kind of paint and how was it applied? Did you leave the silver accents on?

Thanks!!

Old 07-11-2018, 05:56 PM
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: DIY Grille Paint?

Originally Posted by Semaj_1
Just wanted to see who has DIY'd their front grille. I have an SRT6 and the paint could use a touch up. What colors have you used? What did you use to prep the surface? What kind of paint and how was it applied? Did you leave the silver accents on?

Thanks!!
Semaj_1
I completed a redo of a stock upper grille for another member, Billto in Massachusetts. I did the following steps: 1) removed the silver strips; 2) scuffed the surface of each slat; 3) Taped off the black plastic at the top of the grille; 4) Painted the grille with a dark argent paint (from Totally Auto, from the '70/'71 Cuda grille, heavy metallic/glitter); Added 3/8" chrome, stick on in place of the gray end pieces, to add additional bling to the grille. The "new" grille looked much better than the original grille finish, IMO.
I'll look for some of the pictures that I sent Bill during the paint process.
Regards,
Dennis
DTMenace

Last edited by DTMenace; 10-10-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Semaj_1

Thanks!!
DTMenace above, did a real nice job on the grille I have now. It came out BEAUTIFUL.
Bill T.

Last edited by Billto; 07-11-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Some "after" photo's would be nice.

Jim

Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Holian

Jim
Jim
Sorry that I did not retain any of the pictures of the completed grille that Billto purchased from me earlier this year. If Billto reads this thread, he may respond with detailed photos of the completed grille.
Sorry.....
Dennis
DTMenace

Old 07-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on Bill...photos...lets see that thing...lol

Hope your doing well!

Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Come on Bill...photos...lets see that thing...lol

Hope your doing well!
I am doing well Steve, thanks for asking. And you?
Bill T.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DTMenace
Jim
Sorry that I did not retain any of the pictures of the completed grille that Billto purchased from me earlier this year. If Billto reads this thread, he may respond with detailed photos of the completed grille.
Sorry.....
Dennis
DTMenace
I will try and get some pictures tomorrow. I took some when I got it from Dennis, But they
really didn't do the grille Justice. I will try again.
Bill T.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Forum Regular

Jim
My Grille, Done by DTMenace:

Old 07-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Forum Regular

Jim
Jim,
If you send me your email address I can send you pictures that you should be able to blow up and take a close look. By the way, those marks on the facia are reflections, not damage. One other thing, in case you are wondering, the lower grilles are billit aluminum, which I did not remove.
Bill T.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:53 PM
Forum Regular

Bill - The pictures you posted came thru fine. Looks very nice! Thank you for responding.

Jim

Old 10-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Dennis....did you remove the OEM silver strips and replace them with the 3/8" chrome? The prior owner of my new-to-me Black SRT6, painter the entire grill with a fairly thick semi, maybe flat black...including the strips. Not sure if he used Plasti-dip or what. Id like to duplicate your look, but sure what ti use to remove the paint(?) thats on it now....open to suggestions..

Mike That grill looks better than NEW...wondering if the grey will look as good on a black car??

Old 10-10-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by dizzyspots
Dennis....did you remove the OEM silver strips and replace them with the 3/8" chrome? The prior owner of my new-to-me Black SRT6, painter the entire grill with a fairly thick semi, maybe flat black...including the strips. Not sure if he used Plasti-dip or what. Id like to duplicate your look, but sure what ti use to remove the paint(?) thats on it now....open to suggestions..

Mike That grill looks better than NEW...wondering if the grey will look as good on a black car??
dizzyspots
This is a real issue, when a new owner can't talk to the prior owner, to clear up any question that may arise at a later date such as your painted grille. First, I would attempt to peel the paint, if it is a spray coating in an area that is concealed. If that doesn't work, it has been painted on with a heavy hand! I did remove the silver strips off the grille, by using a soldering gun, softening the tabs on the reverse side of each strip, since they are glued heated into place at the factory. Please refer to my #2 response to the original thread. PM me if you're interested in having me redo your grille that will look like Billto's grille. The color on Bill's grille is very similar to the stock grille, except the gray has heavy glitter/metallic than the stock grille.
Regards,
Dennis
DTMenace

Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMenace
dizzyspots
This is a real issue, when a new owner can't talk to the prior owner, to clear up any question that may arise at a later date such as your painted grille. First, I would attempt to peel the paint, if it is a spray coating in an area that is concealed. If that doesn't work, it has been painted on with a heavy hand! I did remove the silver strips off the grille, by using a soldering gun, softening the tabs on the reverse side of each strip, since they are glued heated into place at the factory. Please refer to my #2 response to the original thread. PM me if you're interested in having me redo your grille that will look like Billto's grille. The color on Bill's grille is very similar to the stock grille, except the gray has heavy glitter/metallic than the stock grille.
Regards,
Dennis
DTMenace
Dennis, that's nice work, you might just have started a little cottage industry there.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Dennis, that's nice work, you might just have started a little cottage industry there.
And it still looks GREAT. Better than factory.
Bill T.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm interested in redoing my grill like this. Is the chrome just a peel and stick type of chrome trim?

Old 10-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom3120
I'm interested in redoing my grill like this. Is the chrome just a peel and stick type of chrome trim?
post #13 tells you what you want to know.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:24 PM

Source for the 3/8 chrome trim...found other sizes but not finding 3/8" except 25 ft rolls
Also the dark argent is a bit price with shipping from Totally auto...other sources??

Old 10-14-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by dizzyspots
Source for the 3/8 chrome trim...found other sizes but not finding 3/8" except 25 ft rolls
Also the dark argent is a bit price with shipping from Totally auto...other sources??
dizzyspots
Sorry, but I threw away the packaging for the chrome trim. You will have to purchase the larger rolls of trim, and cut it to size. Totally Auto sells quality spray paint products, I do not know of other suppliers of that type of paint. Totally Auto is a Mopar restoration shop and they adhere to quality products.
Good Luck in your search....
Dennis

DTMenace

Old 10-20-2018, 02:35 PM
Forum Regular

Billto - I just noticed the lower grills that appear to be accented with silver or aluminum. Is that real metal or something like "oneshot" paint? It look's very nice and, to me, looks better than the lower grill covers that are available. If you will, let me know how that was done, and what was used. I also tried to find the 3/8 stick on chrome strip but to no avail. I tried to look it up from the earlier post but couldn't get anything to come up on the computer. Any information on these strips, by anyone, will be appreciated. If you prefer to email me, my email is jpmlholian@aol.com.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jim

Quick Reply: DIY Grille Paint?