Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Exterior Lights Stay On When Switched Off

Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior Lights Stay On When Switched Off

The side markers, fog lights, and parking lights remain on after being switched off (and ignition is turned off). After about 10 minutes I pulled several of the corresponding fuses to keep from draining the battery.

Separately, perhaps, my central locking pump has been down for 6-8 weeks, apparently after the rear tub flooded. There has been a smell of melted plastic after driving that I can't quite place, too. With an occasional exhaust-like smell (like she's burning too rich) to boot, I'm destined for an extensive and expensive diagnostic shop visit in the near future.

I imagine the locks not working and the melted plastic smell might be related, but the lights malfunction just started tonight. I need to fix the lights quickly for obvious reasons, so if anyone has had the same problem, please let me know if you found a practical solution.

I've read many useful and money-saving ideas on the forum over the years, but unfortunately I cannot contribute much to helping others because I'm still learning myself.
Thank you to forum posters past, present, and future for your insights.

2005 Crossfire Coupe SRT6 65K miles.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:52 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Exterior Lights Stay On When Switched Off

Originally Posted by JOE'S BLACK SRT6
The side markers, fog lights, and parking lights remain on after being switched off (and ignition is turned off). After about 10 minutes I pulled several of the corresponding fuses to keep from draining the battery.

Separately, perhaps, my central locking pump has been down for 6-8 weeks, apparently after the rear tub flooded. There has been a smell of melted plastic after driving that I can't quite place, too. With an occasional exhaust-like smell (like she's burning too rich) to boot, I'm destined for an extensive and expensive diagnostic shop visit in the near future.

I imagine the locks not working and the melted plastic smell might be related, but the lights malfunction just started tonight. I need to fix the lights quickly for obvious reasons, so if anyone has had the same problem, please let me know if you found a practical solution.

I've read many useful and money-saving ideas on the forum over the years, but unfortunately I cannot contribute much to helping others because I'm still learning myself.
Thank you to forum posters past, present, and future for your insights.

2005 Crossfire Coupe SRT6 65K miles.
The locking pump causes the lights to time out after 10 seconds or so. I am not sure what lights you have that stay on after you switch of the lights.
Maybe the Owners Manual will tell you what lights should stay on, this is for security reasons so you are not left in the dark. My car is set up for the Canadian regulations, and frankly I could not list what lights are left on.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Drivers and passenger side lights on ?
if just one side, didbyou turn the switch to far ?

Have you pulled out the back to get the water out and fixed the leak ?

Old 01-27-2020, 10:41 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

It seems to me your first step should be to replace the pump in the trunk. It controls a lot of functions and if it got wet is probably corroding and shorting out. You can find them on E-bay.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:12 PM
Received 381 Likes on 329 Posts

Before you do anything poke a hole into one or both rubber plugs on the bottom of the (what one could call) trunk, bottom of where the two foam inserts are located. This will ONLY drain future water accumulations! Now, I would suggest you get into that bay area and replace that module if it is in any way damaged (probably). After that, there is also another module off to the right and rear of that locking module that also MUST be checked. This should be a notice to everyone who has not poked a hole into those rubber plugs down there. You should not have ruined modules to determine there is a leak in the rear somewhere. The modules are VERY expensive, rubber plugs (even if you would want to replace them at any time) is cheap insurance provided you make sure those holes are open every once in a while. Good luck fixing/replacing those damaged module/associated (to fix the leak and whatever you find)!