General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

got a magicjack yesterday

Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default got a magicjack yesterday

so far it seems good,, i have made 15 calls 4 of them for 30 min ea. the first 5 calls two of them droped off ,,as they said it would, then after it got warmed up it seems to work ok,, last 10 calls no problem. jim

Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: got a magicjack yesterday

Got MagicJack recently. Voice quality is much better than the old VoIP service I used. Almost never get telemarketer calls on it (unlike my cell). Lessons learned so far:

1. It seems to work best on faster cable systems and faster computers. Slower computers may mean a delay getting a line when you call out.
2. If you can connect the computer directly to your router it seems to work better. (The PC I use is connected by WiFi to the router).
3. Several mornings the phone started ringing contiuously but no caller ID and no answer when I picked up. (Could be automatic Windows Updates or something related to the wireless phone setup).

As these systems make our home networks much more complex, I now make it a point to reset my cable modem and Magic Jack PC every day to renew the "DCHP lease" .

Old 06-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: got a magicjack yesterday

magicjack is a simple device to convert analog voice to ip. there is a voip system somewhere that houses the features. you can download free 'soft' phones that will work with your pc is you have an account set up with a feature server. i use CounterPath Corporation | X-Lite the price for the unit and 1st year service is very aggressive. i'm in telecommunications and my company offeres a voip solution for business. there are 2 fundimental issues with this. 1) it will only be as good as your internet connection. a voice call over ip uses about 80kbps. the internet is a 'best effort' network so voice packets are not priortized over other traffic. 2) the company has to manage and maintain the feature server along with the bandwidth connection to the internet. as more people buy it, they will have to add to it. if it gets unmanageable or they go bankrupt, service will stop. my personal opinion is that it will not remain $19.99/yr very long but even if they x4 the price to $80/year, it's probably cheaper than regular landline service. i would do a test call to 911. announce that it is not an emergancy and that you are just verifying the info on your number. make sure it works and is correct.