General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Gas Prices... Again

Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 534 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Re: Gas Prices... Again

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
You know that math only works if you're actually filling the vehicles. But looking at all the folks commuting to work in the lanes next me, riding solo in those big SUVs, the math just doesn't favor them. 1 person in an 18mpg SUV is not even close to the efficiency of one person in a 30mpg small car.

And I'd take a 2012 Ford Focus over any SUV on the road today. That has nothing to do with any political ideology, environmental advocacy, or anything other than I simply have no need for an SUV, nor do I like them from a driving perspective at all. And I just prefer the overall driveability (ie, the "fun factor") of smaller cars. Lucky for me that my automotive preferences play well into high gas prices.

Now, if you need a large vehicle for work, or to tow a boat or camping trailer, then you need one. My next door neighbor owns a plumbing business and recently dumped his big van for a Ford Transit Connect. All the space he needed, but he now gets 27mpg instead of 15mpg, it's easier to park, fits in his garage, etc. But he still has a full size pickup to tow his 30' fishing boat.
No. My point was the math works based on you vehicle needs.
Your plumber friend cannot haul pipe in his focus.

Not all of us can drive a Chevy Volt to work because we need to hault tools, materials and equipment.
And sometimes, despite every attempt by Planned Parenthood to undo God's work, a passel of kids.

Chrysler had a std minivan, a 1/2 ton pickup and a sporty 2 seater, all electric, ready for the market in 2010. GM sold 271 Volts in February 2011. 271????????? WHY DID OBAMA SAVE GM AND HAND CHRYSLER OVER TO FIAT WHO HAS NO INTEREST IN MAKING EV'S?

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 03-05-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Don't worry guys. Geitner is on it.
(I thought he was in Treasury dept, not energy dept)

Timothy Geithner says U.S. prepared to tap oil reserves - Mar. 3, 2011

The Rebels are dealing with the Chineese already to develope the eastern oil fields of Lybia.

All the while, we are twiddling our thumbs?

Leadership.......priceless.

roadster with a stick

Old 03-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
No. My point was the math works based on you vehicle needs.
Your plumber friend cannot haul pipe in his focus.
Your exact words were:

A minivan or and SUV can carry 6 or 7 people at 15 MPG. Beats the efficiency of your roadster's 2 butts at 30 MPG by 43%
And when I look around me every day on the way to and from work, I see large SUVs all around me. With one person in them. I see large, fancy pickup trucks (trucks the owner would NEVER allow anything dirty into the bed). With one person in them. Lifted Hummers, fully decked in chrome. With one person in them. That's the problem - these things are not regularly being used to transport a full load of butts!

I fully understand the concept of "vehicle needs", but these are "vehicle wants". And you can't tell me that all of these people tow boats on the weekend - there just aren't that many boats in the US!

My neighbor did a wonderful job downsizing from a full sized Chevy van to a Ford Transit Connect, and still hauls everything he needs to for his plumbing business while getting 27mpg instead of 15mpg.

Of course, with gas once again at $4/gallon here in California (I paid $4.11/gal for premium in the Crossfire yesterday) I'm sure a lot of folks will be dumping these things once again.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Your exact words were:

And when I look around me every day on the way to and from work, I see large SUVs all around me. With one person in them. I see large, fancy pickup trucks (trucks the owner would NEVER allow anything dirty into the bed). With one person in them. Lifted Hummers, fully decked in chrome. With one person in them. That's the problem - these things are not regularly being used to transport a full load of butts!

I fully understand the concept of "vehicle needs", but these are "vehicle wants". And you can't tell me that all of these people tow boats on the weekend - there just aren't that many boats in the US!

My neighbor did a wonderful job downsizing from a full sized Chevy van to a Ford Transit Connect, and still hauls everything he needs to for his plumbing business while getting 27mpg instead of 15mpg.

Of course, with gas once again at $4/gallon here in California (I paid $4.11/gal for premium in the Crossfire yesterday) I'm sure a lot of folks will be dumping these things once again.
Not trying to make an argument here. But...
You still didn't get the point of all my posts

My exact words reflected an example of when the Minivan was in capacity use. I left no words that suggested this was a constant occupancy rate, which is your false premise here.

Moma is often riding to work in her honking big Escalade. ALONE.
So what,

First she bought it to carry the kids with some room and metal surrounding them.
Second she bought it for the many purposes in her life including the daily commute to work and third,
Now this is the most important.....
Most importantly, she likely earned the money and the right to own it.
She bought it for herself.
Why can't personal choice still be a fundimental right?

This is still America after all.

Or is it?
Who are you, or who is the government to determine what she ought to drive?
When the government starts sending her money, gas stamps or whatever, to support her "unneccesary" vehicle's appetite, to satisfy what she "wants," I'll get on your side of this argument.

You and your neighbors are more than welcome to change your driving habits to fit your choices. Leave me and mine alone thank you.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 03-05-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't worry guys. Geitner is on it.
(I thought he was in Treasury dept, not energy dept)

Timothy Geithner says U.S. prepared to tap oil reserves - Mar. 3, 2011

The Rebels are dealing with the Chineese already to develope the eastern oil fields of Lybia.

All the while, we are twiddling our thumbs?

Leadership.......priceless.

roadster with a stick

The unspoken truth is there's a 10 year high of oil in reserves in the Cushing, OK oil storage due to the depression, oops, I mean recession.

The price of oil is only being driven up by the speculators. You know, the bad Bush guys that Obama promised to squash.