General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Finally some news that makes me feel that the system is working

Old 04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs down Finally some news that makes me feel that the system is working

London (CNN) -- Three men convicted in a London gang shooting that left a little girl paralyzed were sentenced to life in prison Thursday, the Metropolitan Police said.
The plight of Thusha Kamaleswaran, whose last carefree moments before she was caught in the crossfire last year were captured on surveillance video, touched many hearts in the United Kingdom.
Now six, she remains in a wheelchair and will need care for the rest of her life, her parents say.
The three men convicted, Anthony McCalla, Kazeem Kolawole and Nathaniel Grant, were all given life sentences by the court in London.

Glad to see that there was a court that has some *****, and gave it to them for their actions. Yeah.

Boo for the child though.

Older and cranky Woody

Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Finally some news that makes me feel that the system is working

Yeah, but now we need to figure out why thy are having that charade in Norway. Just to determine if he's crazy or not? That could have been done by administrative panel and then sentence. Weird to me.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
London (CNN) -- Three men convicted in a London gang shooting that left a little girl paralyzed were sentenced to life in prison Thursday....
The "system" might be working, but humanity is still a disaster.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM

The three should be working for her for the rest of their lives.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:08 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't be fooled - we've finally got one thing right... just look at the 'fun' we're having with Abu Hamza and Cap'n Hook, let alone other 'normal' crims

I'm all for giving people a fair trial and I believe we must aspire to "be better than they are" but there comes a point where the law just becomes a plaything for lawyers

As an aside on the subject of radical clerics (aka murder endorsing scumbags) I found the below quite humerous (taken from another motoring website I frequent)

Dear Abu Qatada.

Whilst I have never been party to your sermons (which I understand encouraged the 9/11 hijackers to their glorious paradise) I can readily suppose that they extol Islamic law in contrast to weak, corrupt British and European justice.

Jordan wishes to exercise upon your person Islamic law. But you cling here leaving fingernail scratches on the runway of Heathrow.

Do I smell double standards?
Please go.

Thanks

(PS to issue a Fatwa against me for this observation would fly in the face of the customary tolerance of Islamic culture.)

Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
The "system" might be working, but humanity is still a disaster.
good point mark. It is seriously depressing. the lack of open mindedness, the judgmentalness, the illusion of maoral superiority that justifies the actions of a few.

OTOH, in my local paper on Sunday there were 3 seperate articles that not only called for a return to ethics and integrity, the rewarding of such rather than the punishment of not as an ideal to aspire to, and gave examples of it happening. For that to be said, it gave me some hope that cjhange might really be afoot. We'll see.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by mdaniels4
good point mark. It is seriously depressing. the lack of open mindedness, the judgmentalness, the illusion of maoral superiority that justifies the actions of a few.
And even THAT is a human-wide phenomenon. It's not just the left or right, or just the Islamic world - it's, well UNIVERSAL.

OTOH, in my local paper on Sunday there were 3 seperate articles that not only called for a return to ethics and integrity, the rewarding of such rather than the punishment of not as an ideal to aspire to, and gave examples of it happening. For that to be said, it gave me some hope that cjhange might really be afoot. We'll see.
I believe it to be a false hope. But I want, oh so much, to be wrong.
I do like something from a Micheal Jackson song - you CAN make a change, but only with the "man in the mirror". I don't think laws will ever change someone's heart. CONSEQUENCES of their actions might (altho it hasn't worked for one particular disappointing member of MY family), but not laws.

I guess we all just work on the man in the mirror.