General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Death by gun, not as bad as you might think

Old 04-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Death by gun, not as bad as you might think

According to 2009 data collected by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), the U.S. sees 3.3 homicides by firearm for every 100,000 citizens.

By comparison, Canada's rate is 0.5 homicides and the U.K. is 0.1. Most European countries sit somewhere in the same range.

China and Russia are not in the UNODC roundup, and there are many countries in Central and South America, the Caribbean and parts of Africa that have much higher rates than the U.S.

Mexico, for example, has three times the U.S. rate for gun homicides according to UNODC data.

In Colombia and Venezuela, the rates per 100,000 are 27 and 38.9 respectively.

In South Africa, it is 17.03 gun homicide deaths per 100,000 people.

The above was exerted from this article from last year.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Death by gun, not as bad as you might think

Taking the bait...

In the USA it's not the gun violence you need to be concerned with, but rather pesticides in your food. Or insurance companies denying coverage for treatment of a terminal illness.

I'd be curious to see how many deaths are caused by Monsanto and BCBS per every 100,000 citizens.

I'll keep my Glock, it's far less dangerous.

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are certainly not the worst in the world but when compared to a majority of the developed, industrialized (1st world) countries (those with whom we compete in most other arenas), we lag well behind.

I looked up the data from the WHO. According to them, countries with similar gun homicide rates include: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Montenegro, Ukraine, Jordan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Niger, Djibouti, etc... Is this really the competition we want? We would not expect, or desire, to be compared with these countries in any other aspect; why should we expect it, or be content with it, when referring to gun violence?

Full disclosure: I own a S&W .38 Special

Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL.....numbers.....you have way too much time on your hands 180.....you need to relax... Come out with me on Sundays and we will punch some holes in a target at 300 yards... I would be trying to move out further, but we don't have any gun ranges beyond that nearby... My sons usually join me, as well as other friends from time to time... Just as much fun as a XF meet... Gun violence in our USA gets exploited by the news agencies here, as you never hear about how many people are saved day to day by using a firearm for self defense or defense of others. That wouldn't be the news you would want to hear if you are trying to take our right to own firearms. Your death by gun figures are nice, and I could probably produce numbers to contradict yours, but who would care. I own and use several firearms, and have taught family and friends to safely use and store their firearms as well. I will continue to promote gun ownership, and to promote the safe keeping and handling of guns to those who will listen, and will put a bullet in gang banger dumb enough to pull a gun on me....and that will add another statistic to your numbers...

Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if only those stats could be broken down to whether the gun-holder was a law-abiding citizen or had/bought/stole/was given the firearm illegally.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

And so this doesn't get political....the UN can kiss my ***.... a free loading bunch of *** hats....

Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 PM

I went around and around this with my liberal sister a couple of months ago. I researched murders in general in the UK, most of the sources I used were from UK sources and they said that basically the UK Government ( Home Office I think whatever is their equivalent of our Homeland Defense) pads the murder rates by counting multiple murders as 1, classifies deaths as something other than murder as to keep the rate low, i.e. terroristic acts are not murder even though murders occur so on and so forth. Gun deaths are understandable low due to how hard it is to get a gun, however total deaths are about the same as before it is just that the English are getting more creative about how they go about it. Stabbings, clubs, explosions etc are now the weapons of choice.

And Doc I agree with you wholeheartedly on the UN thing - a New World Order

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 04-03-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
I went around and around this with my liberal sister a couple of months ago. I researched murders in general in the UK, most of the sources I used were from UK sources and they said that basically the UK Government ( Home Office I think whatever is their equivalent of our Homeland Defense) pads the murder rates by counting multiple murders as 1, classifies deaths as something other than murder as to keep the rate low, i.e. terroristic acts are not murder even though murders occur so on and so forth. Gun deaths are understandable low due to how hard it is to get a gun, however total deaths are about the same as before it is just that the English are getting more creative about how they go about it. Stabbings, clubs, explosions etc are now the weapons of choice.

And Doc I agree with you wholeheartedly on the UN thing - a New World Order
You make it sound that you live in Utopia, I started this thread with no anti gun intent but all seem to think I did and have made all sorts of excuses and tried to deflect what they thought was my intent.
Yours is the most lame of all.

Murder by terrorist, no one died in the UK for the last few years by a terrorist act, even if they did one or two is hardly going to skew the figures by any appreciable amount.

That said over 3 or 4 years ending in 2011.
US murders averaged 4.8 per 100,000.
Canada averaged 1.6
and the UK 1.2
So you have four times the chance of being murdered in the US than you do in the UK.

I must say that the majority of deaths in all these countries are in a group 'known to police'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Old 04-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

~ UN? Yeh, right. Threat from global warming heightened in latest U.N. report | Reuters

scammers!

Move along folks...

Old 04-04-2014, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You make it sound that you live in Utopia, I started this thread with no anti gun intent but all seem to think I did and have made all sorts of excuses and tried to deflect what they thought was my intent.
Yours is the most lame of all.

Murder by terrorist, no one died in the UK for the last few years by a terrorist act, even if they did one or two is hardly going to skew the figures by any appreciable amount.

That said over 3 or 4 years ending in 2011.
US murders averaged 4.8 per 100,000.
Canada averaged 1.6
and the UK 1.2
So you have four times the chance of being murdered in the US than you do in the UK.

I must say that the majority of deaths in all these countries are in a group 'known to police'.

Figures from the UNDOC
180 now who's lame your first sentence included "U.S. sees 3.3 homicides by firearm" and the rest of the paragraph repeats that theme. What are you being anti there? What did I say that makes it sound like we live in a utopia? Quit putting words in someone else's mouth. Or is that your dry humor surfacing again.

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 04-04-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

onehundred80 you said "Murder by terrorist, no one died in the UK for the last few years by a terrorist attack" That did not sound right to me.

To refresh your memory:
2013 29 April: Pavlo Lapshyn, a Ukrainian student, stabbed to death Birmingham resident Mohammed Saleem. He later admitted to police that he wished to start a "race war". This same man on several other occasions detonated or attempted to detonate home made explosives to murder may people in 2013.
2013 22 May: Woolwich attack, British Serviceman killed by two Islamist extremists armed with a handgun and a number of blades

Last edited by zip439; 04-04-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: xx
Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
onehundred80 you said "Murder by terrorist, no one died in the UK for the last few years by a terrorist attack" That did not sound right to me.

To refresh your memory:
2013 29 April: Pavlo Lapshyn, a Ukrainian student, stabbed to death Birmingham resident Mohammed Saleem. He later admitted to police that he wished to start a "race war". This same man on several other occasions detonated or attempted to detonate home made explosives to murder may people in 2013.
2013 22 May: Woolwich attack, British Serviceman killed by two Islamist extremists armed with a handgun and a number of blades
OK I forgot but one or two murders is not going to change the figure shown at all as I stated.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 AM

I think I'll start a thread listing the number of cases of high cholesterol attributed to bacon consumption. Specifically, in America.

Then I'll compare those numbers to the consumption of (healthier) Canadian bacon.

And then I'll compare those numbers to nations that don't eat bacon.

And then I'll deny any accusation that I started an anti-bacon thread.

Makes sense, right?

Nope.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know where I can get Baco Seeds?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bacon.jpg (25.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-04-2014, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I think I'll start a thread listing the number of cases of high cholesterol attributed to bacon consumption. Specifically, in America.

Then I'll compare those numbers to the consumption of (healthier) Canadian bacon.

Makes sense, right?

Nope.
Quite right that's the way I read his posts,

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 04-04-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM

OK I forgot but one or two murders is not going to change the figure shown at all as I stated.
Oh I'm sorry my statistics were wrong oh well I am still right though - correct?

Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K

Makes sense, right?

Nope.
Obesity? You beat us there as well, but not by much. LOL

I can't help but think I have touched a raw nerve here even though the stats I attached say it is not as bad as it might appear. Murder rates are down so what 's the problem? That is all I was getting at.

Strange that the busiest places on Sunday in the US may be the gun ranges and the churches. Just kidding.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my. This is way too much fun.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Obesity? You beat us there as well, but not by much. LOL

I can't help but think I have touched a raw nerve here even though the stats I attached say it is not as bad as it might appear. Murder rates are down so what 's the problem? That is all I was getting at.

Strange that the busiest places on Sunday in the US may be the gun ranges and the churches. Just kidding.
No raw nerves touched, just couldn't help but notice the glaring contradiction in the messages. From my perspective, at least. Maybe I've gone mad.

As for the Sunday thing... if the church is only busy on Sunday, that might explain the need for more self-defense. And if you only shoot on Sunday, you might need a little prayer (Joking as well)

Old 04-04-2014, 07:33 PM

Sunday? Ever been in Green Bay?