General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Selling a car on eBay - Tips

Old 07-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Selling a car on eBay - Tips

Next week I will be posting my '82 Volvo for sale on eBay. It's a show car, mint, award winner...blah blah blah. I am reaching out to those that have sold a car in the past on eBay and have some advice to share, tips or frauds to be aware of, after the successful bidding, or "buy-it-now". Anything to do with the financial transactions that follow after the sale.
TIA

Last edited by user 8202; 07-07-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Selling a car on eBay - Tips

Originally Posted by tonygg
Next week I will be posting my '82 Volvo for sale on eBay. It's a show car, mint, award winner...blah blah blah. I am reaching out to those that have sold a car in the past on eBay and have some advice to share, tips or frauds to be aware of, after the successful bidding, or "buy-it-now". Anything to do with the financial transactions that follow after the sale.
TIA

First of all I would suggest listing on swedespeed.com and the other half dozen or so Volvo enthusiast sites that allow you to do so without cost. Over the years I have bought and sold numerous uncommon Volvos on SwedeSpeed though for RWD Turbo Bricks might be a better spot.

80's Volvos are a sought after vehicle if in good shape and rust free. This is especially the case in the upper NW and NE parts of the US. If I only had proper storage I would be tempted. I miss my 76 265 and 80 262 Bertone and all the others.

Based on my eBay experiences I now limit bidders to those with five or more positive feedback ratings and no bid retractions. I also do not accept bids from out at sea and/or out of country bidders. A scam I have often seen is the bidder being from the opposite coast and coming with excuse after excuse to not get the deposit in and then just vanishing but I am not sure how to address that.

Great exposure on ebay it is just unfortunate it attracts lots of sleaze. I have seen dozens of auctions hijacked by fake bidders and "buy it now" buyers that failed to come through.

Good luck with the sale.

Last edited by MiamiTVR; 07-07-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Banned

Good luck with the sale
Thanks for that and points well taken. You obviously know the Volvo scene, making mention of Swedespeed and Brickboard...
The car has been posted on those sites for some time, including autotrader.ca, craigslist, kijiji, and other sites. All my inquiries have come from autotrader (Canadian version) and have had three visits to see the car, two of which where they loved the car and we agreed on a price, only to have them not return or back out of the deal. I am posting on eBay as my last shot of unloading the car. I can smell a scam a mile away given some of the responses I have had, but wanted to hear from folks like you who can add additional insight. The Volvo is one of three cars I own and with retirement in the near future, it's all about downsizing....but I am keeping the Crossfire!!!!

Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 AM

I have sold 2 Crossfires and a Porsche on Ebay. Have bought 3 Crossfires and a Porsche on Ebay. Maybe I am lucky, but have not had any problems. Limit buyers to US and must have at least 5 positive reviews.

Demand deposit within 12 or 24 hours.

Give a good description of car, including any defects and service history. Lots of pics.

Good luck.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:25 AM
Banned

Limit buyers to US and must have at least 5 positive reviews.

Good advice...thank you!

Old 07-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by theglot
I have sold 2 Crossfires and a Porsche on Ebay. Have bought 3 Crossfires and a Porsche on Ebay. Maybe I am lucky, but have not had any problems. Limit buyers to US and must have at least 5 positive reviews.

Give a good description of car, including any defects and service history. Lots of pics.

Good luck.
Limit buyers to the US? Are they more trustworthy than Canadians? I doubt it.
This is a Canadian seller and the car is in Canada.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-10-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:57 PM

In that case, US and Canada.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by theglot
In that case, US and Canada.
That's better.
When he puts it up for sale I'll pay by Western Union and have my brother go and pick it up with his tow truck. I'd go myself but I'm at sea working on a cruise ship in the Baltic at present.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That's better.
When he puts it up for sale I'll pay by Western Union and have my brother go and pick it up with his tow truck. I'd go myself but I'm at sea working on a cruise ship in the Baltic at present.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!! 180, you just KILL ME! Sharp as a tack and just as painful!