General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Beware of Carfax

Old 12-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Beware of Carfax

Not sure if you guys know this or not but it was a shock to me when I went to trade my car in and was told there was an accident reported on the carfax.
I bought a two year old car in 2014 from a dealer, it came with a clean carfax, no reported issues. I went to trade it in last week and was told that the carfax showed an accident in 2014. I SAID NO WAY I HAVE A CLEAN CARFAX AND I WAS NEVER IN AN ACCIDENT. What I found out was that in 2016 someone reported to carfax that my car was in an accident in 2014. After numerous phone calls and emails found out that this is a common occurrence and carfax washes their hands of it. I was told to read their disclaimer which states:

This CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX and available as of ------ at 9:54:35 AM (CST). Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

Just wanted everyone to know that an accident can be added after you buy the car with a clean carfax.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Beware of Carfax

Originally Posted by chriscat32
Not sure if you guys know this or not but it was a shock to me when I went to trade my car in and was told there was an accident reported on the carfax.
I bought a two year old car in 2014 from a dealer, it came with a clean carfax, no reported issues. I went to trade it in last week and was told that the carfax showed an accident in 2014. I SAID NO WAY I HAVE A CLEAN CARFAX AND I WAS NEVER IN AN ACCIDENT. What I found out was that in 2016 someone reported to carfax that my car was in an accident in 2014. After numerous phone calls and emails found out that this is a common occurrence and carfax washes their hands of it. I was told to read their disclaimer which states:

This CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX and available as of ------ at 9:54:35 AM (CST). Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

Just wanted everyone to know that an accident can be added after you buy the car with a clean carfax.

It figures, nothing is sacred any more.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Beware of Carfax

Years ago I bought a new car. After several years of having it, a piece of metal flew up from the road and put a large ding in the trunk lid. The trucking company that lost their load paid for the damage. When I went to sell the car, 10 years later, it came up on a Carfax as an accident. Didn't really affect the sale of my car, but I could see how that could on something newer. I never had it repaired so I always wondered who actually reported it to Carfax? The trucking company? The Police report?

James