General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Front Side Windshield

Old 08-26-2020, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Side Windshield

Hey, I recently bought a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited 2DR Coupe, and realized after the purchase there was a very very small crack in the windshield. Rookie mistake, I know. I was wondering if anyone possibly knew a site I could go to so I can potentially buy a new one in case it does get worse in time. Searched all over google but I couldn’t find anything myself, and I’d rather buy it and install it myself then goto the dealership and pay a HEFTY price, ya know? Thank you for your help!

Old 08-27-2020, 12:19 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Front Side Windshield

Don't know if Safelite will sell you one, you could try.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:56 AM
Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tryhard2death21
Hey, I recently bought a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited 2DR Coupe, and realized after the purchase there was a very very small crack in the windshield. Rookie mistake, I know. I was wondering if anyone possibly knew a site I could go to so I can potentially buy a new one in case it does get worse in time. Searched all over google but I couldn’t find anything myself, and I’d rather buy it and install it myself then goto the dealership and pay a HEFTY price, ya know? Thank you for your help!

Try any auto glass shop I’m sure anyone of them will sell you the glass

It’s not like anyone is making too much money right now

shouldn’t cost more than $200

Old 08-27-2020, 07:31 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

When you buy one have a good look at it as some cheaper ones have distortion in them, the OEM was made by Pilkington of course.
If you could live with what you have some auto glass repair shops can stop the crack from getting any larger.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:12 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Had a windshield installed a month ago on a pickup truck; labor was $84.00. That is worth the cost as they have the correct sealant and tools. Thing is with the Crossfire you must be careful they understand the plastic trim comes off like a Mercedes (or remove it yourself before you have the windshield installed); most glass shops will understand the procedure. I would talk with the installer, hand him some two sided tape and ask he check all the clips to be certain the clips are not loose after installation should you choose to let him install the trim. They did fine by me when I had the windshield replaced on one of my Crossfires some years back. Total cost in 2013 with the OEM glass was $310 includung tax.(winshield $150, Labor $122, sealant $23.)

Last edited by zip439; 08-27-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:01 PM
Received 387 Likes on 334 Posts

I remember reading a few windshield horror stories (here in the forum) where the trim flew off after some time when the shop that replaced the windshield didn't attach the trim/clips properly. Be careful, as some shops limit the liability to the price paid for the windshield job. The trim (if you can find it) I believe costs a whole lot more than a replacement windshield. Read your contract, it'll say something about their liability. If you don't see it anywhere, ask! Just an FYI.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

I remember reading a few windshield horror stories (here in the forum) where the trim flew off after some time when the shop that replaced the windshield didn't attach the trim/clips properly. Be careful, as some shops limit the liability to the price paid for the windshield job. The trim (if you can find it) I believe costs a whole lot more than a replacement windshield. Read your contract, it'll say something about their liability. If you don't see it anywhere, ask! Just an FYI.

I too have read the horror stories on here. Happened to me even after I told the guy about the trim. He was like yeah we've done a couple XF's and the newer Thunderbirds. Well yeah it blew off going 90 on the Turnpike between OKC and Tulsa. Needless to say after a one mile jog and recovering the trim piece, I made sure that thing won't be coming off anytime soon. Always check afterwards is good philosophy when it comes to the trim.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:39 PM
Received 387 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Sussudio
I too have read the horror stories on here. Happened to me even after I told the guy about the trim. He was like yeah we've done a couple XF's and the newer Thunderbirds. Well yeah it blew off going 90 on the Turnpike between OKC and Tulsa. Needless to say after a one mile jog and recovering the trim piece, I made sure that thing won't be coming off anytime soon. Always check afterwards is good philosophy when it comes to the trim.

I hope you recouped a loss here. I am sure the trim had some damage? If not, at least you should have gotten some satisfaction with the shop?