Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

For those who've changed their shift knob...

Old 07-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For those who've changed their shift ****...

... how do you get the bloody **** off the boot? Getting the boot off the console is easy enough, and the lock ring keeping the **** on is simple as well. But now I've got the ****/boot assembly out of the car and I can't separate these two parts. What's the secret?

Old 07-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Re: For those who've changed their shift ****..

pull hard !

Old 07-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Default Re: For those who've changed their shift ****..

Originally Posted by joseph m herroscheck
pull hard !
I thought that was just to get the **** off the shift lever, which I've done. Pulling hard on the **** to detach it from the boot appears to be very hard on the boot itself. You sure about this?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 AM

Hi Mike

Be a little careful with the boot being semi frozen to the ****. Use a hair dryer on the (lowest) setting. Hold it a couple of inches away from the top of the boot & work it around the entire boot slowly. It should become supple enough to gently pry it off the **** without to much force. If not apply a 2nd or 3rd round of heat, again not overdoing too much in one spot & stop & check if any progress is made. Good luck.
Crossfireone

Old 07-28-2008, 07:26 AM

I had some time to take a closer look at the pieces yesterday. There is a press fit collar with two slots in it that pinches the boot between it and the base of the ****. The **** has two tabs that fit through holes in the top of the boot itself and then through corresponding holes in the collar.

With the boot turned inside out and pulled up over the **** I took a thin screwdriver and pryed the collar off, releasing the boot.

I would strongly suggest to others that you NOT just pull hard! to get the boot off the ****.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:31 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike, I assume this is for a stick ****?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by FP
Mike, I assume this is for a stick ****?
Right you are sir - the automatic doesn't have a boot. I'll get some pix showing the bits and pieces in detail soon.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Weird, I just loosened the base screw thingy and gave a little pull and it came right off.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM

Pictures!

Once the leather boot is pulled up and the collar unscrewed then whole assembly comes out (this is the boot turned inside out, of course):

Remove the locking collar completely and you see another collar with two tabs through it and the leather, holding the boot to the shifter. Trying to just pull the boot off the **** at this point was stretching the leather around the holes and I didn't want to just keep pulling for fear of damaging the boot. Here is is pryed up on one side:

With the retaining collar pryed off you can clearly see the tabs protruding through the leather of the boot:

One of the pre-cut holes in the leather for the tabs to fit through:

Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM

Crap, only 4 images per post!!

Finally, the bare **** with the locking collar back in place, sans leather boot of course. Here you can see the pins on the base of the **** and better understand how the top of the leather is then pinched between the base of the **** and the locking collar. These did not want to separate simply by pulling firmly on the **** - that's when the leather was coming under abuse I wasn't willing to give it.

So now it's off and I can get my custom shift boot made up to match my two tone leather interior, complete with light grey stitching!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM

Look like I am screwed. Upon taking the shifter off. I am missing the locking collar of this assembly. It appears mine has been messed around with by previous owner. So I have no idea how I am going to get my Momo **** on. Or am I missing a part that came with the ****?

Last edited by Buran; 12-16-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Buran
Look like I am screwed. Upon taking the shifter off. I am missing the locking collar of this assembly. It appears mine has been messed around with by previous owner. So I have no idea how I am going to get my Momo **** on. Or am I missing a part that came with the ****?
How does your factory **** stay on without the locking collar?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That locking collar does not fit the MoMo ****. I've tried using a wire tie to keep the boot up on the ****, but after a few shifts it slides down. I'm not real happy about it, but I'm still trying to figure out some way to keep the boot snug up on the ****. If I can't, then it was money thrown away and I'll have to go back to the original ****.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
How does your factory **** stay on without the locking collar?
The bottom part still screws onto the base. It keeps the boot tight on the ****.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by danimal
That locking collar does not fit the MoMo ****. I've tried using a wire tie to keep the boot up on the ****, but after a few shifts it slides down. I'm not real happy about it, but I'm still trying to figure out some way to keep the boot snug up on the ****. If I can't, then it was money thrown away and I'll have to go back to the original ****.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I didn't think that it would. I was always under the impression that this was a simple swap out. How is everyone else installing their shift *****??

Old 12-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think that it would. I was always under the impression that this was a simple swap out. How is everyone else installing their shift *****??
haha I was just going to ask everyone.. I might order a different boot to save the hassle

Last edited by downwardspiral; 12-16-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: For those who've changed their shift ****...

On my custom grey leather boot (do a search on the forum for the company that makes them) i just used a zip tie around the top of the boot inside (pull the boot up over the shift ****, zip tie the boot just a quarter inch or so above the end, then pull it back down). Been good for months now......

Old 12-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

I'd like to ask what may strike some of you as a dumb question ... I understand most of the 'mods' that I see talked about here ... many are things I feel no need to do, but I understand why others would ... I don't understand the reason to replace the shift **** ....

Why do so many want to make this mod ???

Old 12-17-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by SteveS
I'd like to ask what may strike some of you as a dumb question ... I understand most of the 'mods' that I see talked about here ... many are things I feel no need to do, but I understand why others would ... I don't understand the reason to replace the shift **** ....

Why do so many want to make this mod ???
I guess it's like any other visual mod, really - just to give the car some "personal" touch. Some people don't like the feel of the factory **** and would prefer leather either in part or in whole.

Me, I just took some Aero Blue touch up paint and a very fine artists brush and painted the recessed numbers and extended "H" pattern in the stock ****. I like all the matching silver trim on the car as is. One thing I did change, however, was the shift boot - hence my reason for this post in the first place. Instead of the plain black boot, I now have a two tone boot that perfectly matches my two tone seats. Unfortunately, this image doesn't show the blue in the numbers, but my shift boot is the hotness.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the OEM **** myself too. I thought it was very clever how they continued the roof ridge through the AutoStick ****.

Quick Reply: For those who've changed their shift knob...