Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

For those who've changed their shift knob...

Old 12-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: For those who've changed their shift ****...

Originally Posted by SteveS
I'd like to ask what may strike some of you as a dumb question ... I understand most of the 'mods' that I see talked about here ... many are things I feel no need to do, but I understand why others would ... I don't understand the reason to replace the shift **** ....

Why do so many want to make this mod ???
I thought the stock **** was too fat, short and slippery no ****. The one I got fits nicely in the palm of my hand, and brings the **** closer to the wheel. I also like the slightly longer, lighter throw it has now.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
I like the OEM **** myself too. I thought it was very clever how they continued the roof ridge through the AutoStick ****.
Same roof ridge through the manual **** as well. Another reason I didn't want to mess with it.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: For those who've changed their shift ****..

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Right you are sir - the automatic doesn't have a boot. I'll get some pix showing the bits and pieces in detail soon.
Will the boot from a manual fit over the automatic shift assembly? i personally done like the plastic outline of the autostick

Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Forum Regular

went to "short" Momo anatomic for two reasons: lower, better fit for my hand, and most of all it is COOL. No, really, here in Phoenix the metal shift **** would brand the shift pattern on your hand if you had the sun hitting it in the summer !!!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:28 PM

danimal,
I bought the momo shift **** that TVT Designs sells and it has a threaded portion at the bottom of the ****. So with this one I can just get a nut and thread it up to hold the boot in place. The thing I find is with the momo **** I have, the boot just sits up nice without the need for even a zip tie.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by brianm929
danimal,
I bought the momo shift **** that TVT Designs sells and it has a threaded portion at the bottom of the ****. So with this one I can just get a nut and thread it up to hold the boot in place. The thing I find is with the momo **** I have, the boot just sits up nice without the need for even a zip tie.
I have a similar momo ****. Yes the boot sits nicely between the nut and the ****, but the holes cut in it to accept the stock **** stick out. I don't like the way it looks or feels, so I'm trying zip ties. If they don't work I'm going to get an alcantara boot

Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brianm929
danimal,
I noticed the threaded portion....next step is to take it back off and find a nut to fit. I'm thinking that maybe by using the zip tie above it, it will lock the boot up against the ****....hopefully.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:05 AM

I finally took some pictures, still didn't get the new boot though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAGE_00245.jpg (319.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAGE_00246.jpg (337.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 PM

So how are people installing this Momo shift ****? The boot part I am not concerned with at the moment. What I would like to know is how would I attach this thing to the shifter? It's been sitting on my desk for months now.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Forum Regular

Most MOMO ***** will just slide over the shaft, and be be held in place by the proper size plastic insert (usually three different sizes are included, pick the one that fits over the shaft snugly) and the three set screws around the bottom edge of the ****. I always use a little loctite on the screws to be safe.....

Old 02-17-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tazz
Most MOMO ***** will just slide over the shaft, and be be held in place by the proper size plastic insert (usually three different sizes are included, pick the one that fits over the shaft snugly) and the three set screws around the bottom edge of the ****. I always use a little loctite on the screws to be safe.....
I actually used 3 (i think mine came with 5 or so) of the plastic inserts because the shaft gets thinner towards the top. I used the one that fit the top of the shaft, and pressed it in until it sat all the way in the ****. then I took the next size up, cut the bottom off and shoved that one in too. Then I took one that fit the fatter part of the shaft and also cut out the bottom, and put the set screws through that one. Hasn't budged since the day I put it on.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tazz
OK well my problem is this: All I received in my box was the ****. No hardware at all. Didn't know anything else was supposed to come with it. No wonder I couldn't figure this out. SO now wtf am I supposed to do?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 PM

After doing the searching is this the kit that is supposed to come with the ****?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-...QQcmdZViewItem

What i don't understand is how do the screws hold the **** onto the shaft? Is thier somethat they screw into on the shaft? What I am asking is when pull the **** up to put my car into reverse will these screws actually keep the **** from coming off in my hand?

Thanks for the help you have given so far.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i put a 6 speed boot over my automatic shifter https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=28870

Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Buran
OK well my problem is this: All I received in my box was the ****. No hardware at all. Didn't know anything else was supposed to come with it. No wonder I couldn't figure this out. SO now wtf am I supposed to do?
Check the box again. Mine had all the miscellaneous stuff stuck in a little compartment in the bottom of the cardboard insert. I almost missed it myself.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by danimal
Check the box again. Mine had all the miscellaneous stuff stuck in a little compartment in the bottom of the cardboard insert. I almost missed it myself.
I did check it well in fact. Seeing as how this was last year when I bought it the box has long since gone. I hope the eBay kit I bought in my last post works. Though I am still confused on how those screws are going to be able to hold the **** to the shaft.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Buran
..... Though I am still confused on how those screws are going to be able to hold the **** to the shaft.
Pressure. The 3 set-screws lock it on pretty darn tight.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:54 AM

I received my install kit yesterday and installed it around 1 am since I couldn't sleep. Using only the rubber piece that had the smallest opening, I drilled a small hole in the top of it and pushed it inside the ****. It then took more pressure than I expected to press the **** all the way to the bottom of the shaft.

I do see now what you mean about this **** staying put. Even without the screws, the shaft is so tight going through the rubber piece that its quite a feat to pull it off. As for the screws I used one set and put them in as far as I could then used the second set right behind them in the same hole. The second set sits out slightly but they will make it harder for the screws to come out.

As for the boot I simply used a ty wrap around the very top. The screws sticking out make for a good place to run the ty wrap around since the boot catches on them it doesn't appear like it will slide down. What I may end up doing is finding a slimmer ty wrap and run it around the **** just above the screws. This would give it a slighty slimmer look and the boot would never fall down past the screws.

I don't know if this how every one else did theirs but this way worked for me.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Those MOMO shift ***** are the best, i had the very first one installed, and i just ziptied the boot on used the plastic piece to fasten down the **** to the shaft.

Its in my opinion the best aftermarket **** out there for the Xfire.

Justin

Old 03-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Where did you get the shift ****? Do you have a link or a SKU number? My XF has an 'airmetal' Momo shifter, and though it fits the car, I tend to like to rest my hand on the shifter when I drive and that gets to be uncomfortable, plus the south TX heat could mean that I could end up with an odd brand on my palm.

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
I finally took some pictures, still didn't get the new boot though.

Quick Reply: For those who've changed their shift knob...