Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

I did that! White dashboard light!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I did that! White dashboard light!

LOL I am laughing myself to death as I write this, because you may as well be writing in Spanish. I understand more of that language than either of your posts. Why is the IRON in ironic capitalized? Is this a language barrier thing for younger guys and old men or something? I didn't realize I was that old. LOL This is kinda funny. Please understand that I am NOT poking fun at anyone other than myself here. Of course, I have not had my dash apart, so I am sure some of the grey areas would make more sense if I had. With that said though, I'm gonna have to go back and search someone elses threads to figure out the dash removal process BEFORE I tear it apart. Maybe I will see what the arrows are and scales really are. I can assume you are talking about the alignment tabs and the lenses, but I really don't know enough about these cars to make that assumption yet. Ask me anything you want about a 30 year old mopar, but a modern bmw I am clueless with. LOL Your new dash looks awesome btw. If I have my head wrapped around how this was accomplished, after the green film from the back is removed, could you go over the lenses with fine misting of blue/red/purple or whatever color you wanted paint and change the colors that way and keep the stock bulbs? I suppose colored lens film could be cut and used as well. Thanks, Chris

Last edited by HellFire; 07-15-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:07 AM

what the heck is wrong with you? Arrow (pointer/indicator/needle) how do you like it better?

Why IRON in ironic is capitalized? Because i thought this may also seem pretty much funny to you (i was correct) - so enjoy/

Instrument Scale = instrument gauge. cluster or whatever you call it

Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 PM

what the heck is wrong with you? Arrow (pointer/indicator/needle) how do you like it better?

I don't know what is "wrong with me"..... But I really thought you were talking about the allignment tabs. LOL Don't get too excited though. It is sometimes hard to tell how people are trying to convey messages in written form, because you cannot hear any inflection in our voices etc. I meant nothing more than, I am not understanding and I found it funny because I assumed it was my ignorance to the procedure. Good times all around.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HellFire,
Go easy now. Even if you are in fact poking fun at yourself, you must also considered how what you write may be perceived by someone reading it. So much of what we mean is contained in the intonation of our voices, which we lose when we make a post, or send an e-mail. This is something that should be kept in mind. It also helps to use these ( ) to try and get some meaning across.

Cross-fired,
I would like to thank you for taking the initiative to take on such a project that does seem quite time and resource consuming. I believe I understand what you are stating for a general plot of how to accomplish this. Please let me know if I am understanding correctly:

A) Disassemble the dash (even though I don't know how, I'm sure I could find out by using the search function)
B) Remove the green film that is covering the luminated parts of the dash by 'rubbing' which I assume is quite vigorous and takes some sort of very fine sandpaper. I have not disassembled the dash and instrument cluster to date, but is it safe to assume that this will not come off in one piece by is more similar to removing paint?
C) Re-connect all of the electronics that were disconnected in the disassembly phase, and replace the bulbs behind the dash to whichever color you prefer.
D) Reassemble the dash
E) Repeat for other areas (HVAC controls, Window Switches, and Gear Selector, etc.)

Thank you again for planting the seed in our brains for a new modifications to make each of our crossfires more unique. Please do not let any confrontations in the past keep you from continuin to modify your car and especially please don't let it keep you from posting it here. We would all love to hear about it...with pictures. Thanks again.

Last edited by ZAHANMA; 07-15-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Go easy now. Even if you are in fact poking fun at yourself, you must also considered how what you write may be perceived by someone reading it. So much of what we mean is contained in the intonation of our voices

I agree 100%. In fact, this is a perfect example of this. I am not upset in the least at anyone or anything. LOL I am still laughing at myself here. LOL Thanks for jumping in there though. An unecessary calming post is much better than an unnecessary antagonistic one! LOL I appreciate anyone's efforts to keep a public board calm and on topic. This board is a huge help to all crossfire owners that know of it. That is because of members sharing/working together and not being afraid to look stupid sometimes. LOL I am almost too eager to help in that manner sometimes. LOL

Old 07-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While I appreciate the effort, I am not crazy about white lights. It must blind you at night. Also not crazy about the custom interior. I will admit, the suede dash makes it seem like a high priced exotic car like a Astin Martin or something.

But still, great car. Great job and it is certainly unique. Great effort!!!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually love the alacantra interior but I couldn't have it. I would go absolutely ape trying to get it all pointed in the same direction. Looks absolutly fantastic though.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:17 AM

To ZAHANMA: You're totally correct. But be aware that HVAC, windows switches etc are VERY very hard to disassemble. Especially heated seats switches. But that is possibile.

To
blackcrossfire07: it is as easy to change the brightness of the dashboard as it is on the stock instrument cluster. In the photos it shows it's maximum brightness, but it's really no good for night driving)

Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cross-fired,

Thanks for continuing to share the info, I appreciate it. I assume English is not your native tongue, and even though you speak it well, there are subtle differences and sometimes it makes it hard for us to understand. I think some people here do not realize the international counterpart to this forum and assume you are some illiterate younger kid from the US that is too lazy to use correct grammar.

I think you have a beautiful car and a lot to offer this forum, but please do not be put off by certain individuals. While this was a case of mistaken tone, some people here are genuinely a-holes and you have to have a thick skin to hang around some of them. Good luck, hope you stick around.

John

Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Cross-fired,

Thanks for continuing to share the info, I appreciate it. I assume English is not your native tongue, and even though you speak it well, there are subtle differences and sometimes it makes it hard for us to understand. I think some people here do not realize the international counterpart to this forum and assume you are some illiterate younger kid from the US that is too lazy to use correct grammar.

I think you have a beautiful car and a lot to offer this forum, but please do not be put off by certain individuals. While this was a case of mistaken tone, some people here are genuinely a-holes and you have to have a thick skin to hang around some of them. Good luck, hope you stick around.

John
dude tell me this dude with a custom interior crossfire is driving around in Kazakastan!! that is more awesome. he has completed Crossfire with great success.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:03 PM

I was not aware of the location either. Awesome job, no matter where you are!!!! BTW, my Spanish comment seems kinda out of place and rude given the light of recent info. I am sorry for the confusion. It was not meant in a derrogatory fashion. I don't even use spell check, so I am sure to get a few laughs at myself every now and then.

Last edited by HellFire; 07-16-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 AM

Thanks, John!
As you could've noticed I am really not good at technical english Nonetheless, I'm glad to be here!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 AM

hi everyone. i've been looking for a way to change the dashboard color as well but i really dont know how to take apart the dashboard. can anyone link me to a guide or something ? thank you.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular

Why can't i maximize the pictures in Cross-fired's gallery?
Any idea?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock427
Why can't i maximize the pictures in Cross-fired's gallery?
Any idea?
Markus,

There are issues with the forum again, preventing many, if not all, of us from accessing the galleries, hopefully our owner, Julian, is aware of the issue.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Markus,

There are issues with the forum again, preventing many, if not all, of us from accessing the galleries, hopefully our owner, Julian, is aware of the issue.
Julian is an awesome guy for starting this Forum, but does he care about it anymore? I ask this in all sincerity/respect, and at the risk of being excommunicated from here,. I don't have a clue how Forum ownership works. How much is it worth, can he sell it? Just curious. All we really want is the gallery fixed, eh? Edit: Apologies to Cross-fired for jacking the thread; cool white that.

Last edited by dinasrt; 01-26-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Julian is an awesome guy for starting this Forum, but does he care about it anymore? I ask this in all sincerity/respect, and at the risk of being excommunicated from here,. I don't have a clue how Forum ownership works. How much is it worth, can he sell it? Just curious. All we really want is the gallery fixed, eh?
Honestly, I doubt he would give the forum ownership away. He makes some money off of it from the ad supported webpages you see, as well as from sponsor and super sponsors that pay a per annum fee. He might be inclined to "sell" it if the right offer were made, but I don't know what the cost might look like without digging a lot into the uniques, impressions, and ad clicks on the website on a monthly basis. Work I wish I had time to do, because then we might be able to make an offer to purchase .org. Another issue would be the server hosting. I don't think he hosts the servers for .org, but am not sure.

EDIT: I just did a quick search. Julian is hosting via GoDaddy.com and the contract expires on 03/19/2011. Onto looking for more information.

2nd EDIT: I found some other less pertinent information to .org, but kinda interesting stuff on its owner. No need to put that on here though, since it isn't .org related.

Last edited by ZAHANMA; 01-26-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular
Wink Re: I did that! White dashboard light!

Has anyone e-mailed Jullian regarding the forums issue with the Gallery?

Last time Things got wacky around Here I called It a dying forum Then obviously some one fixed those Issues!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Then let's call it a dying Forum then! lol.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 AM

Anyone know if he replaced the bulbs inside the console or if he just scratched off the green filter?

If he did replace the bulbs, what kind of bulbs were they and how would I go about finding similar parts? I would like to do this same mod, except instead of white I want red. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: I did that! White dashboard light!