Sun Visor - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Sun Visor

Reply

 
 
 
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Chester, Ohio
Posts: 20
Default Sun Visor

My driver side sun visor had something pop inside it when I put it down recently. Now it just hangs there and does not stay up. I took it off and looked inside but couldn't see much of anything. Is there a fix for this? If not, any recommendations on where I can buy a new sun visor to replace it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2011, 01:37 PM
MikeR's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Plains, OR
Age: 68
Posts: 5,173
Default Re: Sun Visor

You could try one of those little blue pills.....


That is all I got for ya.... I very rarely use my visors so they are working fine...
 
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Spudracer's Avatar
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 328
Default Re: Sun Visor

OEM replacement from Chrysler or a little velcro button from Home Depot. Your Choice.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2011, 06:18 PM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 78
Posts: 20,299
Default Re: Sun Visor

Originally Posted by BlazeRedXfire
My driver side sun visor had something pop inside it when I put it down recently. Now it just hangs there and does not stay up. I took it off and looked inside but couldn't see much of anything. Is there a fix for this? If not, any recommendations on where I can buy a new sun visor to replace it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Your mistake was trying to swing it over to the side window.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Spudracer's Avatar
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 328
Default Re: Sun Visor

Speaking of.....what's up with that? Mercedes thing? Chopped roof & windows on this car? I've never seen another car with visors that didn't pivot to provide side window protection.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 PM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 78
Posts: 20,299
Default Re: Sun Visor

Originally Posted by Spudracer
Speaking of.....what's up with that? Mercedes thing? Chopped roof & windows on this car? I've never seen another car with visors that didn't pivot to provide side window protection.
Maybe all roads in Germany go from East to West.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Flagstaff Arizona
Posts: 552
Default Re: Sun Visor

They did prior to unification.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2016, 06:15 PM
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Default Re: Sun Visor

Same thing happened to me. The plastic pin and sleeve are shaped like a cam lobe and the sleeve probably cracked. I have tried slightly enlarging the pin with electrical tape, which worked to hold it up, but failed after my wife got in and lowered it.

Unfortunately, Chrysler has discontinued this part and I have not been able to locate any NOS. Some salvage yards have them and prices vary. However, the tan color is next to impossible to find. Ah, the joys of owning a rare car, with the rarest color option, from a dead car company.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2016, 06:19 PM
GraphiteGhost's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central South Carolina
Age: 63
Posts: 3,316
Default Re: Sun Visor

Originally Posted by crcarch View Post
from a dead car company.

True, so true.....


.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 23
Default Re: Sun Visor

My driver side visor has broken. I heard the pin 'pop' and it's hanging in down position just as described. Anyone have a part #? Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 72
Posts: 1,661
Default Re: Sun Visor

Originally Posted by crcarch View Post
Same thing happened to me. The plastic pin and sleeve are shaped like a cam lobe and the sleeve probably cracked. I have tried slightly enlarging the pin with electrical tape, which worked to hold it up, but failed after my wife got in and lowered it.

Unfortunately, Chrysler has discontinued this part and I have not been able to locate any NOS. Some salvage yards have them and prices vary. However, the tan color is next to impossible to find. Ah, the joys of owning a rare car, with the rarest color option, from a dead car company.
Just find any color you can find, then use Duplicolor vinyl paint in complimentary color and do both.
 
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 AM
daveesrt6's Avatar
Forum Regular
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Australia
Age: 62
Posts: 679
Default Re: Sun Visor

I replaced my beige visors with black ones from an R170 SLK , they are exactly the same pieces, just black.
i got em on ebay, they do appear there occasionally , i think i paid $50 for them.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 AM
dedwards0323's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upstate SC
Age: 67
Posts: 5,983
Default Re: Sun Visor

There are several sun visors currently listed on eBay. Good advice looking for the SLK230 or SLK320 parts. Essentially, same car. I'd repaint everything except the slide over the mirror. That could be a PITA! I'd probably use a Color Bond product to repaint the visor. Just think it's better than the product from Duplicolor.
 

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-08-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 72
Posts: 1,661
Default Re: Sun Visor

Originally Posted by dedwards0323 View Post
There are several sun visors currently listed on eBay. Good advice looking for the SLK230 or SLK320 parts. Essentially, same car. I'd repaint everything except the slide over the mirror. That could be a PITA! I'd probably use a Color Bond product to repaint the visor. Just think it's better than the product from Duplicolor.

I even painted the mirror slide cover, no issues. I never tried the Color Bond product, where do they sell it?
 
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 62
Default Re: Sun Visor

I can't guarantee this won't break something on your car, but at least on my visors, the attachment arms just wiggle and pull out of the visor. I assume that is what you have already done when you said you looked inside.
Attached is a picture of one of the attaching arms. Notice there is a part of the rod that looks like it has a rectangular area with some black smudges, that is a flattened area of the arm. I'm guessing that is what contacts something like a lever that touches that flat spot to provide the little click when it is in each "clicked" position.

Do both the mounting arms look like this, or is one possibly broken off ?

Notice there also is a tiny tab sticking out of the arm almost at the tip. I'm not sure what that piece might be for, but maybe that also contacts something to hold it in place.
Maybe you can look at both of the attaching arms if you pull them out and see if the tab sticks out at the end, or if that is broken off.
If one has a tab, and the other doesn't, you can try reversing the arms and seeing if you can get each side to click into a locked position. Even though the arms are mirror-images, you can try them in either side to see what the symptom is.
Both sides should provide the clicking action.

If those little tabs are broken off the tip, that might be the problem. Or if the arm broke off, and half of it is stuck inside the visor. Otherwise whatever is broken would be inside the visor mechanism. Maybe you will be lucky and it's just the mounting arm that's broken.
Let me know if that's the case, that one or both of the arms are broken.
 
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_6161.jpg (69.8 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2017, 05:35 PM
dedwards0323's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upstate SC
Age: 67
Posts: 5,983
Default Re: Sun Visor

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD View Post
I even painted the mirror slide cover, no issues. I never tried the Color Bond product, where do they sell it?
Here's a link to their website: CLICK.

In my case, I found the Dark Slate Gray interior paint on Amazon:
CLICK CLICK
.


 

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-09-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
northwest_crossfire
Troubleshooting & Technical & Modifications
9
05-30-2016 05:19 PM
eatmycrackers
Crossfire Roadster
3
09-23-2015 09:08 AM
RacerXofFL
Cars For Sale
2
09-15-2015 05:00 PM
pioneer4x4
All Crossfires
10
09-12-2015 11:13 AM
jaesa
Interior
0
09-07-2015 01:50 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Quick Reply: Sun Visor


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.