Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

My free cupholder turned cubby hole mod...

Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My free cupholder turned cubby hole mod...

Hadn't seen this done anywhere on here, so thought I post some pix. I've been wanting to replace my cupholder for a while now, but the biggest hold (other than the price) was whether or not the opening would bother my arm. So, figured I'd just pull the cupholder out, and see how it felt. After a little closer inspection I found the cupholder just pops out of it's "holder", which makes a great storage compartment. It has a large hole on the side, and a smaller one at the rear (which is mostly blocked). For now I just put black tape on either side to block the hole. Figured I'd make a couple plates out of thin steel sheet, then cover the inside with felt (assuming it doesn't bother my arm). It's almost too deep, but I think it will work. I plan to put my phone and wallet in there instead of the larger center console. BTW, I have an HTC Evo 4G, and it drops in completely.

Now, just gotta figure out how to pull apart the center stack, so I can get the bulb out of the hazard switch. It's going to drive me crazy once the days start getting shorter, and I start driving more at night.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: My free cupholder turned cubby hole mod...

Cleanest and cheapest fix to date IMO. Nice Job!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:37 PM

Thanks...

BTW, after a daily commute I can say I'm very happy with the new mod. Phone, wallet and granola bar fit great without being in my way. So, going to see about getting some black felt to line it...

Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Closer9, could you explain the procedure to remove the cup holder as I like your idea of the well. I looked at mine and I can loosen the front of the cup holder, but where it pivots I can't see to figure how to get it out. Thanks

Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by closer9
Thanks...

BTW, after a daily commute I can say I'm very happy with the new mod. Phone, wallet and granola bar fit great without being in my way. So, going to see about getting some black felt to line it...
Great mod, thanks for the info. If you decide to make a inner liner that works, let me know and I would be happy to purchase one for me, if you were willing. I have CF wrap and since it will be nearly non-visible, I think I may just cover the liner in that, let me know if you are interested. Thanks!