Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

How to get rid of crayon smell?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get rid of crayon smell?

So I have seen people make posts about this but cannot find if anyone has actually fixed it? I tried air fresheners but no luck, I'm gonna pull out the in cab air filter and see if that smells.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: How to get rid of crayon smell?

Originally Posted by Easley15
So I have seen people make posts about this but cannot find if anyone has actually fixed it? I tried air fresheners but no luck, I'm gonna pull out the in cab air filter and see if that smells.
Regardless of whether it smells or not, that is one of the first things to replace when you buy a used car that has one.
Who knows what malodorous atmosphere the prior owner subjected it to ??? ( could be a huge poot sponge )

( also use the opportunity to drop the fan and clean out all the dead leaves )

Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: How to get rid of crayon smell?

I raised this some time back, pulled trunk liner and added spray on fabric spray with good success. WET it down, its the glue in the car. WOODY

Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Forum Regular

Yeah I'm gonna order a new one! And I pulled back the carpet and the foam on the underside has a super strong smell of it

Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried farting and suddenly I could not feel or see a thing

Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced the cabin air filter, and starting using the REST feature... The odor never came back.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The infamous "Crayola" smell in our cars is linked to the adhesive used in the Karmann facility. Germany isn't allowed to use the same adhesive as the ROW, for earth-friendly reasons. So, nearly all of the mid 2000's German cars have this characteristic "sweet" Crayola/Leather smell.

Sniff a Volkswagen and tell me if it doesn't smell familiar. Just make sure the owner isn't nearby...

Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
I replaced the cabin air filter, and starting using the REST feature... The odor never came back.
REST feature?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Easley15
REST feature?
On the stack of three buttons in the center of the HVAC control panel, it's the bottom button. Circulates air in the cabin for ~30 minutes after you exit the car. I never use it in the summer, but all the time in the winter. It keeps the car nice and toasty when you're in the store for ~10 minutes. You return to an 80° cabin

Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Eat paste.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought an '05 SRT-6 with 42k on it and the first thing I noticed upon opening the door is that beloved crayon smell......lol. Pretty much all my friends with European cars experience the same phenomenon. I hung an air freshener but honestly I can't even smell it over the crayon smell. Truth be told, it really doesn't bother me. I'm just tired of all my friends giving me grief for my car smelling like a box of Crayola's

Old 07-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular

I picked this up at Wal-Mart this morning and followed the basic instructions. So far i'm pleased with it. It's basically just a fumigator and it only cost me like $7 with tax. You have to turn your car on and put your A/C on high and let it do it's thing with the windows closed for 15 minutes and then let your car air out for 15 minutes afterwards. It smells awesome! I will let everyone know how long the "refreshed" smell lasts for. It's not that I minded the melted crayons smell, it's just that it would become overpowering at times on the hotter days here in VA.

20140716_112223_zps716fee19.jpg

Last edited by HOT FIYA; 07-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA
I picked this up at Wal-Mart this morning and followed the basic instructions. So far i'm pleased with it. It's basically just a fumigator and it only cost me like $7 with tax. You have to turn your car on and put your A/C on high and let it do it's thing with the windows closed for 15 minutes and then let your car air out for 15 minutes afterwards. It smells awesome! I will let everyone know how long the "refreshed" smell lasts for. It's not that I minded the melted crayons smell, it's just that it would become overpowering at times on the hotter days here in VA.
These cars were made in Europe and the adhesives used were environmentally friendly to some extent. Releasing a highly flammable vapor in the car is certainly not. I hope it does not attack the roof lining adhesive and hasten its failure among others.

I'll stick with smell rather than risk the lining falling on my head.

I'd disconnect the battery before using it just in case there is a electrical joint or component sparking when you open the door, the crayon smell would be gone then.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
These cars were made in Europe and the adhesives used were environmentally friendly to some extent. Releasing a highly flammable vapor in the car is certainly not. I hope it does not attack the roof lining adhesive and hasten its failure among others.

I'll stick with smell rather than risk the lining falling on my head.

I'd disconnect the battery before using it just in case there is a electrical joint or component sparking when you open the door, the crayon smell would be gone then.
The headliner in my car was already shot when I bought it. It's currently held up by Heads-Up Saggy Stoppers. I'm having a black microsuede headliner installed within the next month or so hopefully.

I don't think a spray freshener is going to harm anything. As mentioned, I didn't hate the smell but on hot summer days there were times in which it became a bit overpowering.