Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Headliner FAIL

Old 05-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headliner FAIL

Well my headliner finally dropped on the driver's side. The edges have been tempting to come unglued for a bit but once the heat got to it last month, it dropped or drooped. I took it out this weekend and man what a PITA. Solid piece of formed backerboard that does not easily come out as it is larger than any opening. Flipping, spinning, and manuevering unitl it finally came out, just don't know how I will get it back in once I have it repaired.

So has anyone repaired there droopy headliner? Do it yourself or hire someone?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Re: Headliner FAIL

Originally Posted by goodgenes79
Well my headliner finally dropped on the driver's side. The edges have been tempting to come unglued for a bit but once the heat got to it last month, it dropped or drooped. I took it out this weekend and man what a PITA. Solid piece of formed backerboard that does not easily come out as it is larger than any opening. Flipping, spinning, and manuevering unitl it finally came out, just don't know how I will get it back in once I have it repaired.

So has anyone repaired there droopy headliner? Do it yourself or hire someone?
Take your pick.click

Old 05-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you are very good at it I would suggest you take it off yourself and have it recovered at a shop. It is really usually not that costly and you will be happier with the results. I had my truck headliner done a few years ago and was very pleased with the results.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Re: Headliner FAIL

I have a 2005 coupe and after 8 years my headliner just let go and is drooping. Has anyone else experienced this and what was your solution. There is no leak or staining. I think the glue just let go.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM

I had a local headliner shop glue in a carbon fiber fabric. I removed it and took it to them, they charged me $100 one year ago. They use a commercial adhesive and have the equipment to get the glue sprayed in evenly and pull the headliner while attaching to make it look OEM. worth every penny for me.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/676865-post28.html

Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bobhoernlein
I have a 2005 coupe and after 8 years my headliner just let go and is drooping. Has anyone else experienced this and what was your solution. There is no leak or staining. I think the glue just let go.
You've got lotsa company! Put straight pins (sewing) to hold mine up till I get around to dealing with it.. Kinda gives it a nice button tufted look..

Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine collapsed yesterday as well... same as goodgenes, it was coming loose at the edges and then BAM!! Got in the car yesterday to head to church, and my hair scraped the roof. I was like "I know I need a haircut, but this is nuts!"

Looked up, and

So, $150-$170 repair is in my future. Go-fast mods will have to wait... grrrr

Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Mine collapsed yesterday as well... same as goodgenes, it was coming loose at the edges and then BAM!! Got in the car yesterday to head to church, and my hair scraped the roof. I was like "I know I need a haircut, but this is nuts!"

Looked up, and

So, $150-$170 repair is in my future. Go-fast mods will have to wait... grrrr
Once I started driving the black one on a regular basis (ie; garage queen no more), the central Calif. heat took a quick toll on the headliner. I took it in to a local auto upholstery shop and the owner told me to let it fail almost fully, then take it in. He said he could gauge the overall failure more accurately. Sure enough, he said there were two "hot spots" in the fact. glue on each side of the inner roof crease line. He upgraded the headliner (almost identical to factory and upgraded the glue) and it came out great! No problems in our recent 100 degree plus spell that we had (that's why our raisins turn out so good. lol). $210 out the door. The graphite has just started to pull very slightly by the visors, but for now, it's the garage queen.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I had mine replaced in the SRT6 3 years ago. It's a Florida car and the heat and humidity caused the foam to separate from the material. I took the headliner board and hard plastic trim panels to a local auto interior shop and and them covered in oem headliner material. I deleted the useless sunvisors, much cleaner look.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:33 PM

well as luck would have it I went out to get in my srt three days ago and my liner was turning loose on the on the passenger side. Don't think it's a heat thing because my car only has 27000 mi. on it and stays in garage all the time. But now I have to find a fix just like you.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokypoky
well as luck would have it I went out to get in my srt three days ago and my liner was turning loose on the on the passenger side. Don't think it's a heat thing because my car only has 27000 mi. on it and stays in garage all the time. But now I have to find a fix just like you.
My garage queen had only 12,000 miles on it when the headliner let loose.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM
Thumbs up Re: Headliner FAIL

Well I went to the Headliner Shop yesterday to see what it would cost to fix my liner they looked at it and told me it would be 178.00 plus tax and they even could get the OEM color which was great so I hope I well get a call Monday that they have the cloth in. I thank that as much as I love my SRT that it is time to get ride of it. If its going to set in the garage and things are going to happen what will happen it I drove it all the time. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 PM

I got my liner redone three or so weeks ago for 178. plus tax. Very good job.