Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.
View Poll Results: Console Color options
Body Color-Match
32.14%
Dark Silver
14.29%
Dark Charcoal Metallic
53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Painting the center stack

Old 12-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Painting the center stack

Great. I see that the hydro route is available as a DIY kit. I'll have to look into this. If I can do a credible CF job in this stuff-what do y'all think?
I guess one dips, dries and clearcoats.

Research is in my future, I see.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted Dark Charcoal. I have dark Burl in two of my cars. anything but silver...

Old 12-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Great. I see that the hydro route is available as a DIY kit. I'll have to look into this. If I can do a credible CF job in this stuff-what do y'all think?
I guess one dips, dries and clearcoats.

Research is in my future, I see.
Heck if you are thinking hydro dipping then CF is not all there is in that option. I'm thinking a nice Scottish tartan, something with a dash of red in it. You would really be driving a one only car then.
MacIchon, it kinda rrrrrolls of the tongue.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-14-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Old 12-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Kinda funny here.. I was wondering if the plastics could be separated from all the other panels and hydro dipped today.. since I've read how much trouble it is with the switches and all trying to do a vinyl wrap... Leaving mine as is personally, but do love seeing what others come up with..

Old 12-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Heck if you are thinking hydro dipping then CF is not all there is in that option. I'm thinking a nice Scottish tartan, something with a dash of red in it. You would really be driving a one only car then.
MacTavichon, it kinda rrrrrolls of the tongue.
Tartan! - ha-ha! - Noo yer talkin'!
The XF interior is not particularly high-end for a car of its original price, so the silver stack is something of an economy measure, as well as picking up on the exterior silver details - screen surround, side strakes etc. - so if those are changed, maybe that would justify a change inside, too?
Going through a similar dilemma myself - my SRT is black and, although I like the idea of body colour matching (dated idea or not - I also have a PT Cruiser!), I agree the red could be a bit much, considering the tones in the interior - (although I'm sure I've seen it done) - which is maybe why MikeR's Aero Blue worked so well.
This doesn't really answer Maxcichon's question but, for an SRT, a dark grey stack with a satin (semi-matt) finish could work with the suede seat panels - as 180 says, gloss could scratch - and you'd be constantly polishing off the inevitable fingermarks.
Maybe a satin Graphite or Machine Grey (sorry, gray!) would be nice...?

Old 12-14-2013, 07:57 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I voted for dark silver. If the car was just about any other color with the exception of yellow, white, and red I would consider matching the car color. In your case, red would be too busy IMO. Good luck with whatever color you pick.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been researching the forum regarding re-doing the silver console and center stack trim. Has anyone been successful with doing a recent vinyl wrap. I'm thinking that the materials have improved significantly since some of the earlier efforts that are detailed here on the forum. I was looking at this gunmetal brushed aluminum material . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130839752991...84.m1423.l2649

Interested in thoughts, comments, members sharing their expertise and experience . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 12-15-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Max, I just purchased some wrap panels for my Suzuki X-90 project. I thought of you while making the purchase. We are wrapping the X-90 in a forest camo color... Camo has not been brought up yet.... Hell, you might not even see it....

Old 12-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
I've been researching the forum regarding re-doing the silver console and center stack trim. Has anyone been successful with doing a recent vinyl wrap. I'm thinking that the materials have improved significantly since some of the earlier efforts that are detailed here on the forum. I was looking at this gunmetal brushed aluminum material . . .

1ft x 5ft Gunmetal Brushed Aluminum Vinyl Wrap Pro Grade Bubble Free Air Release | eBay

Interested in thoughts, comments, members sharing their expertise and experience . . .
RED DOG: I just installed Silver Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap on the windshield molding and side "bullets". I like it and it seems durable. If you interested, click on SimCarbon.com...they have a wide selection of textured and nontextured material at a nominal cost... in a wide variety of colors...Carl

Old 12-16-2013, 03:03 PM

1ft x 5ft Gunmetal Brushed Aluminum Vinyl Wrap Pro Grade Bubble Free Air Release | eBay

Valk, it's .2 mm (~.008") same as the DINOC 3M I used.

Nice try, buddy.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:01 AM
FP

If I could find this in a wrap I would really consider applying it on mine.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:22 PM

Hey FP, I'm pretty sure this is the stuff . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-50-1ftx4ft-2D-High-Gloss-Black-silver-dotted-Carbon-Fiber-Wrap-Vinyl-HQ-/200953932589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec9c9ab2d&vxp=mtr

BUT . . . as others who have gone before us have found . . . it is a lot of work and there is an issue with tight tolerances and the thickness of the wrap interfering with some fit and function . . .

I just ordered that gunmetal gray brushed aluminum wrap. I'll let everyone know how I do with it . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 12-17-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BUT . . . as others who have gone before us have found . . . it is a lot of work and there is an issue with tight tolerances and the thickness of the wrap interfering with some fit and function . . .

I just ordered that gunmetal gray brushed aluminum wrap. I'll let everyone know how I do with it . . .
I am one to think that if Max tried it and was not satisfied, its a no go, but interested to hear your outcome...

Old 12-17-2013, 02:47 PM
FP

RD, that looks more like CF. Maybe I can go to one of those businesses that do full car wraps they can print and apply what I want.

Last edited by FP; 12-17-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I am one to think that if Max tried it and was not satisfied, its a no go, but interested to hear your outcome...

Actually, Maxcichon was one of the few members (maybe the only member) to complete the vinyl wrap project on his console and center stack. Here are some photos he posted back at the time.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post517609

Max I guess we need an update . . . Were you satisfied with the outcome and was it worth the effort? How has it been holding up? The photos sure look great!

Last edited by RED DOG; 12-17-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 PM

Update? Well, I really liked the look, but the (my?) inability to force the materiel to conform to the square recesses around the rocker switches and HVAC controls (the corners and creases pulled away after time) and the interference issues with the switches and, and worse, the Hazard button (refused to reset!) nixed the deal for me.
Sad. Tina and I worked for many 'effing hours on this project. I used true 3M DINOC material-very HQ stuff, but it really isn't intended for any sort of intricate work, I guess.
Now my issue is getting this stuff un-stuck. I, (stupid) tried to heat it to release. Duh-heat is what activates the adhesive. It's really on there. So, if one tries this:
1) Open up the clearances a bit (.005") around the switches.
2) Figure out a way to convince it to stay in the corners/creases.

I'll try, as I said earlier, some solvents to release the 3M adhesive. Turpentine first-I don't want to damage the plastic in any way.

BTW-I used the 3M adhesive primer on all of the convoluted and inner surfaces-including the back/ends of the wrap, where it ends to keep it from peeling up. I'm paying for that now.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 PM

Hi Max, THANKS for the update on your experience. When I suggested that maybe the wrap materials have improved over recent years, this (from the description of the material I bought) is what made me think that way . . .

In this auction you will receive a 12" x 60" sheet of BRUSHED ALUMINUM VINYL with self adhesive and bubble free backing design. Our vinyl wrap is of the highest grade and unlike some sellers here on ebay, we sell the "casting" type where as some other sellers sell the "calendar" vinyl which will try and retain its original shape once it is applied. The "casting" type like ours will take the shape of what you are wrapping and best of all we have the air channel release pockets so it does not bubble up and also makes it easier to apply as seen in the pictures above.

Anyway, I bought that piece of gunmetal brushed aluminum wrap material for less than $10.00. I'll play with it on a simple part first and see how it performs. I'll let everyone know what happens . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 12-18-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I am really liking my stock interior right now Max....thanks.... Hey, when I get ready to camo the X-90...come on up Max....heat gun and paddle baby...scotch to top it off...lol

Old 12-17-2013, 10:33 PM

Well it sure looked purdy in the pictures Max.

Quick Reply: Painting the center stack