Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Ashtray Fix!!!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ashtray Fix!!!

PLEASE NOTE:
chuK_138 Created this useful thread and video
I merged this single post from a different previous thread to show the removal of the ashtray unit for those of you who need to make this fix
Because the post I merged here was dated prior to the creation of this thread it appears first but for the record
chuK_138 created this useful thread
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Step one is remove the silver part of the dash panel, which is remove the radio and remove the two screws above the radio and pop it out with a trim stick. This is all the rest they tell you below. Step four is unplug the light after you take it out...apparently you don't have to unplug the airbag light or the cig lighter because they are not mentioned, lol. (sarcasm at their bad directions, of course you need to unplug them.)

ashtray.jpg

Last edited by Valk; 01-18-2016 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
6pac340 (06-11-2022)
Old 01-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ashtray Fix!!!

If you're one of those few unhappy owners with an ashtray that won't stay shut, I found out how to fix them. No need to buy a new unit, if you can find it!
I'll be posting a video to this once it's done, but I now have a spare ashtray assembly that works perfect, in case you need one.
Very excited about this since it had puzzled me for so long.

Last edited by Valk; 01-18-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Video added to post #1
The following 2 users liked this post by chuK_138:
cRadix (03-15-2024), M60A3Driver (05-24-2023)
Old 01-16-2016, 12:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Ashtray Fix!!!

Waiting to see the vid! The Limited's tray has been busted for a couple-o-months.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a trick to everything, that's what makes you an,EXPERT, you know the trick others don't. Thankz

Old 01-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

freakin awesome fix. thanks Chuk...

Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Thanks Chuk.
I attached the video to post #1 and stickied this thread to the top
This will be helpful for so many here who have struggled with this problem

Old 01-18-2016, 01:51 PM

Thanks for combining the posts, Gary! Glad I could help with one of the very few things on this car we, as a community, hadn't figured out yet.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:43 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by chuK_138
Thanks for combining the posts, Gary! Glad I could help with one of the very few things on this car we, as a community, hadn't figured out yet.
Maxichon and RedDog did the fix, Max said it was obvious what was wrong when you looked at it and Dog said if the pin was broken like his you were in trouble.
See the thread here. CLICK

Old 01-18-2016, 02:56 PM

Nice try, but nowhere in that thread does it state how to fix it and maxichon blames it on something shifting. He doesn't go into detail. RED DOG says there's no way to fix it besides buying a new unit. Please copy and paste some other bs so I can show you how you're wrong.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by chuK_138
Nice try, but nowhere in that thread does it state how to fix it and maxichon blames it on something shifting. He doesn't go into detail. RED DOG says there's no way to fix it besides buying a new unit. Please copy and paste some other bs so I can show you how you're wrong.
You said nobody had solved it, but Max did and said it was obvious, RedDog had the hinge pin broken. You did a good post, I just pointed out it had been done before as you said nobody had.
There actually is another video on the subject, not at all like yours as he fails to fix the problem fully. He missed the cause.
Another post said that a nickel had jammed his ash tray shut, he solved the problem and came out of it 5 cents richer.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:14 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You said nobody had solved it, but Max did and said it was obvious, RedDog had the hinge pin broken. You did a good post, I just pointed out it had been done before as you said nobody had.
There actually is another video on the subject, not at all like yours as he fails to fix the problem fully. He missed the cause.
Another post said that a nickel had jammed his ash tray shut, he solved the problem and came out of it 5 cents richer.

Dang, I was reaching for the popcorn but none needed. Cool.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:40 PM

chuk, that's a great info you've shared

Old 08-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Incredible fix, if you find it in the status Chuk explains it.
But if the v- shaped plastic parts which latches the darn thing is broken, you are hosed.No other fix then to buy a working unit, or find another professional solution, and I am not talking about wedging dimes and quarters, and other crap on the ashtray door....

Old 11-06-2021, 01:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the 'same' issue with one of my Crossfires in which, unfortunately, the 'hook' mechanism for the Ashtray broke, thus, the 'repair' as already posted in this Thread was my best course of action. I took some pictures of my process as it may help with regard of the pieces of the Ashtray unit. My main concern was whether or not the 'middle' piece where the airbag light is on for the US Crossfire Versions as well as the cigarette lighter could be 'transfered' to a 'new' (though used) replacement unit that may or may not have those pieces in the set. These pictures will definitely help those users to clear those questions:
(If you can't see the pictures, then you may need to be logged on in the forum first. The pictures are in full size as I wanted to post as much detail as possible... as in my case, when researching this issue, I stummbled upon this thread, in within other postings as well, and used every bit of information to determine which way, if any possible, could be the best course of action to 'repair' my Ahstray Assembly for the Crossfire)

Chrysler Crossfire Ashtray

Chrysler Crossfire Ashtray - Detail

To remove the 'middle' and cigarette lighter section do as shown in the following pictures:

Remove the back 'clip' found on the back of the Ashtray unit

Old 11-06-2021, 01:54 PM

Press downwards on the plastic-clips found on the back of the assembly unit that hold the 'middle' section (where the airbag light is) and the cigarette lighter:

while holding down the 'pin' down, then press/push on that side of the assembly forward to genly just push is a bit so that the plastic clip doesn't snap back in place

Once done, then proceed with the other side

once on the other side, repeat the same and genlty push that side you are currently working on a bit forward so that the plastic pin won't snap back and clip the aseembly back in place

Once the assembly has been released from both plastic pins, than press forward to slide the entire 'middle' section and cigarette lighter together

The picture below shows the 'middle' section (where the airbag light is for US Crossfires) and the Cigarette Lighter removed from the Ashtray unit (they come both in within a sub-frame together

The following 2 users liked this post by DarthW:
CROSSFIRERUSH (02-23-2022), nemiro (11-07-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 01:59 PM

Once the 'middle' section and Cigarette lighter assembly unit has been removed, then, if needed, it can be further disasambled:
-you can use a screw driver as seen in the pictures below to press down on the locking plastic clips found on the top and bottom to unlock it and be able to remove if from the frame that is mounted on

Repeat the same process on the bottom clips:

Once completed, then the entire front-end part that hold the 'middle' piece/plate (where the Airbag light is for US Crossfires) and the Cigarette Lighter will be removed

Old 11-06-2021, 02:02 PM

Also, is possible to remove the 'middle' as well.
-you can use a screw driver as seen in the pictures below to press down on the locking plastic clips found on the top and bottom of the 'middle' piece to unlock it and be able to remove if from the frame that is mounted on

Old 11-06-2021, 02:05 PM

The pictures below shows the Ashtray Unit fully disasambled:

In my case, I was able to find an entire Ashtray Assembly with a full working Ahstray (undamaged, fully functional) which included all the components as seen in the pictures above. What I ended up doing is removing the 'middle' section as shown in the pictures and 'transfer' the middle section (Middle Plate and Cigarette Lighter) from my existing vehicle into the 'replacement' part... mainly because I didn't want to risk to mount everything and find out the cigarette ligher didn't work. Though as anyone who can see the pictures above, the 'middle' section and cigarette lighter which in the pictures are 'after' I transfered, namely the Ashtray is the 'defective' part I already took out of my Crossfire and already had 'transplanted' the 'middle' section and cigaretted ligher from the 'replacement' (used) part into this unit. Though as you can see on the pictures, it look in tip-top shape.

Since I have a working Ashtray with middle section and cigarette lighter still from my existing Crossfire, I decided to do the 'repair' as Chuck had done before... the pictures show the 'end' result of a now 'spare' 'ready to go/ready to be installed' Ashtray Unit including the 'middle' section and cigarette lighter.

Just as in Chuck's video, I removed the 'coil' mechanism from the unit in the pictures above, so that the ashtray won't 'pop-out' (on this repaired unit) and installed the 'glassdoor' pin on the back of the unit, just as in Chuck's Video... so now, in case another one of my Crossfires had this problem, I have already another unit 'ready to go'.

(My Crossfires, all Coupes, 2007 Model Year --all of them-- I have owned since they were new... as of the time of this posting, all of them are in the 60k Kilometers (Aprox 37k Miles) since new.... so it is expected that after 10+ Years 'something' will break at some point... since the Ashtray Assembly unit is no longer available directly from Chrysler --or Daimler.. the Crossfire version... the R170 for the Mercedes Benz one is still available, though won't fit 100% as the front panels for the crossfire protrude a bit more than in the SLK R170--, than the repair as 'Chuck' described was the 'best' solution for me to get the 'old' unit repaired and store it as a spare part : )

Old 10-05-2022, 10:03 AM

I've done two ashtray repairs. #1 I re-made the little V-shaped catch on top of the ashtray drawer using THE MAGICAL HACK OF SUPER GLUE AND BAKING SODA!! It took a couple hours of build-up and grinding/smoothing with a Dremmel tool, but its operating just like new! The super glue/ baking soda thing is supposed to be stronger than plastic, so i hope it's permanent!
#2 i accidentally broke the change door OFF at the hinges. I super glued the hinges back in place and then built up around the hinges with super glue/baking soda. It looks pretty stout from the bottom and its a stealthy repair on top. (barely visible) I'll try to post pics.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:11 AM

Roughed it up and wiped with lacquer thinner to ensure adhesion.

Quick Reply: Ashtray Fix!!!