Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Recirculation door control??

Old 01-25-2020, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Recirculation door control??

So I discovered that my recirc door on my gray car was stuck in the closed position.... so no fresh air.

Pulled the glove box and got to the actuator valve.... which appears to be working sort of halfway I guess.

When I blow into the vacuum line for the door, the door opens. When I plug the vacuum line back into the actuator with recirc off, the door remains open. When I turn recirc on, the door closes. when I turn recirc off, the door stays closed.

What am I missing here? Is pressure generated somewhere to open the door and that is what is missing? Seems to be working properly on the vacuum side of things.

Jared

Old 01-25-2020, 04:01 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Recirculation door control??

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
So I discovered that my recirc door on my gray car was stuck in the closed position.... so no fresh air.

Pulled the glove box and got to the actuator valve.... which appears to be working sort of halfway I guess.

When I blow into the vacuum line for the door, the door opens. When I plug the vacuum line back into the actuator with recirc off, the door remains open. When I turn recirc on, the door closes. when I turn recirc off, the door stays closed.

What am I missing here? Is pressure generated somewhere to open the door and that is what is missing? Seems to be working properly on the vacuum side of things.

Jared
There is a vacuum line that passes under the battery tray which passes through the firewall, in some cases that has been eaten away with acid and caused that problem if I recall properly.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:09 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There is a vacuum line that passes under the battery tray which passes through the firewall, in some cases that has been eaten away with acid and caused that problem if I recall properly.
I will take a look here in a few minutes. I currently have an ozone generator running in the car. The picture I provided above was taken after I opened the door by blowing into the line that goes to the vacuum motor.

I will say that it does have vacuum at the actuator, and the actuator is allowing vacuum to pass when I turn on recirculation. Recirculation door closes normally, but will not open when the recirculation is turned off, and there is no longer any vacuum.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a spring inside of the vacuum motor that operates the door..... which would pull the door to the open position when recirculation is turned off...….????

Jared

Old 01-25-2020, 04:59 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
I will take a look here in a few minutes. I currently have an ozone generator running in the car. The picture I provided above was taken after I opened the door by blowing into the line that goes to the vacuum motor.

I will say that it does have vacuum at the actuator, and the actuator is allowing vacuum to pass when I turn on recirculation. Recirculation door closes normally, but will not open when the recirculation is turned off, and there is no longer any vacuum.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a spring inside of the vacuum motor that operates the door..... which would pull the door to the open position when recirculation is turned off...….????

Jared
Ozone eats rubber over time. Electric motors give off ozone, so no fridges etc in the garage.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:37 PM
Forum Regular

Ozone will eat rubber.

This is a fact, and for anyone who is thinking about using an Ozone Generator in their car, don't do it for more than about 10 minutes at a time.

Ozone is also an Oxidizer, and will damage metal as well. I read a horror story about a guy with a car that was stinking of Cigarette smoke and he ran a 6,000 mg per hr for about 4 hours. It ruined his seat belt buckles, headliner, and some other things in the car. He tried to get the manufacturer of the Ozone generator to pay for the damages..... it says right in the manual not to use in a vehicle for more than 10 minutes.

Anyways, my reasoning was the same. I am a smoker..... but the old smoke smell this car had every time the heater was turned on was making me gag. Did the Lysol treatment with the fan running followed with the Ozone treatment.... which in turn creates a fog in the car that permeates everything..... no more smell.

I went ahead and put the car back together with the recirc vacuum line disconnected and the port plugged off. I never really use recirculation in my cars anyways.

Jared

Last edited by lotsofspareparts; 01-25-2020 at 05:44 PM.