Midwest Forum Serving CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, SD, UT, WI, WY.

CAA - RME - Denver based routes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CAA - RME - Denver based routes

Garden of the Gods & "Tail of the Trout Run" – This route takes us to the Garden of the Gods (a must see for out-of-staters), Woodland Park (maybe lunch there), up to Deckers and a short run on the “Tail of the Trout Run” which basically goes along the South Platte for a bit. Lots of curves and nice scenery. We then head up back to 285 (paved route) and take a nice curvy two lane road back to Denver.
I-25 S to E County Line Rd - Google Maps

Bishop Castle Run & Lunch in Colorado City – This route takes us down to Bishop Castle (a must see) and lunch in Colorado City. Bat/Deb found a very tasty Mexican place where we could have lunch
I-25 S to Inverness Dr W - Google Maps

Cripple Creek and Merlino’s Belvedere Run – This route takes us to Woodland Park, Victor, and Cripple Creek (perhaps stop for lunch here). We then head west/south west out of Cripple Creek and then head south to Canon City. Dinner at Merlino’s Belvedere (great, family style Italian).
I-25 S to Inverness Dr W - Google Maps

Mt. Evans Run & Tiny Town – Everyone wants to drive to the top of a 14’er and why not pick a paved road? We can stop at Beau Jo’s Pizza (or another place in Idaho Springs before going to the top) or somewhere in Evergreen after the mountain. I think we should get to the top of mountain earlier rather than later. This should be a weekday run as parking is limited on the top of the mountain. We would then proceed to Tiny Town (a great stopping point). Then, we would take two lane twisty roads back to 470 and the hotel.
199 Inverness Dr W, Englewood, CO 80112 to 199 Inverness Dr W, Englewood, CO 80112 - Google Maps

Golden to Central City/Blackhawk (via Hwy 6/Clear Creek Canyon), Peak to Peak and Lefthand Canyon – This is a great mountain route with plenty of scenery. Lefthand Canyon has plenty of twisties and very fun coming down. If people want to drive on a dirt road for a few miles, we stop and see the Moffat Railroad Tunnel (Moffat Tunnel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
199 Inverness Dr W, Englewood, CO 80112 to 199 Inverness Dr W, Englewood, CO 80112 - Google Maps

The “Tunnel”, Frisco/Keystone, Loveland Pass, and the Georgetown Loop – Why not venture over the Continental Divide a few times and see some great scenery? Lunch in Georgetown and then how about taking a trip back in time by taking Georgetown Loop on a steam train?

Last edited by itsky; 11-08-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 472 Likes on 329 Posts
Default Re: CAA - RME - Denver based routes

Are the 6 routes you posted going to be done in the order that you have them posted.
First route on the first day and last route on the last day etc.
This looks good but unfortunately I can't attend for the entire event.
It would require to much time off with travel time included.
I suspect other than the locals and retired folks this schedule will be difficult for many to attend in it's entirety.

How badly I wish I were retired.....or still at my old job of 20 years where I had 6 weeks of vacation.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 PM

No the routes are not set in stone nor is this particular order. If it is better to have the event on all weekdays, let us know now (hotel - July 24-29).

Last edited by itsky; 11-09-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 472 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by itsky
No the routes are not set in stone nor is the order. If it is better to have the event on all weekdays, let us know now (hotel - July 24-29).
I'm just saying that for those who have a 2 to 3 day trip to get to Colorado and 1 week of vacation to use for the CAA GTG travel on the weekends before and after the GTG works best.
Again this is just my thoughts and what would work for me.
I don't expect the GTG to be tailored to my needs so ......Time will tell.
Lets see what others have to say about it as well.

Your routes look great and I would not want to miss out on any of the action.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
I'm just saying that for those who have a 2 to 3 day trip to get to Colorado and 1 week of vacation to use for the CAA GTG travel on the weekends before and after the GTG works best.
Again this is just my thoughts and what would work for me.
I don't expect the GTG to be tailored to my needs so ......Time will tell.
Lets see what others have to say about it as well.

Your routes look great and I would not want to miss out on any of the action.

Correct Gary, it is going to require some time. Similar to the STL CAA, it is going to be a balancing act for those in attendance as to what they want to do as well as the local group figuring out their schedules for leading. There are a great deal of drives on this list and while everybody would like to do everyone of them, they're going have to wait and see what the Rockie Mountain group comes up with with respect to time lines. I view this as preliminary and not that your aren't, but I urge patience by everyone...for at least a day

Personally, I can't wait to get back to where I called home for 10 years and with this car and drive those mountain roads and a fourteen-er at that. Though the trout run might cause me to dream about going fishing again in some of those lakes and going up through Woodland Park, it is going to be hard not to divert towards some of those old fishing holes.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We will arrive early and depart (eventually) after doing the 6 runs you have researched, Thanks CCC and Evan,
Dave and Carol

Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now remember, these are just 6 of the potential routes we can come up with for you guys, depending on what everyone's tastes are for roads. There wasn't any mention of hitting up Estes Park, nor going up to Trail Ridge Road in the Rocky Mountain National Park. If you guys don't get to drive on that road, you're missing out the best of what Colorado has to offer.

And also, the main event is going to be a track day at High Plains Raceway, which is a full road course. If you can only make it for one day, make it for the track day, and bring your sunscreen lotion.

High Plains Raceway | Your Colorado Performance Driving and Racing Future

We also are thinking that it might be best to split up the group into smaller more manageable groups, and do each route, every day, and the individuals can hit each route at their own choosing.

We could probably hit two per day, easy, if you're dedicated to driving, and getting your money's worth out of your car.

The track day, however, will be where the big fun is at.

BC.

Last edited by Bladecutter; 11-09-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:44 PM

I agree Bladecutter that the HPR will be a huge event! I do believe that I heard that Trail Ridge Road will be having a repaving project next summer. With that, I don't know that we would want to experience potentially long waits or miles of dirt road.

These routes are subject to change of course, but we wanted to let you all know about some of the cool things to see next summer.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As of right now my wife and I are planning to come if not for the whole time for some time anyway. We are going to try and make a 6000 mile trip out of it all the way to the west coast & north and back.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Question Re: CAA - RME - Denver based routes

Top 10 Scenic Drives In The U.s. - Million Dollar Highway | ShermansTravel.com

Has anyone travel the million dollar hwy ? Looks interesting

Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by texas t
Top 10 Scenic Drives In The U.s. - Million Dollar Highway | ShermansTravel.com

Has anyone travel the million dollar hwy ? Looks interesting
I have been over it a few times. Unfortunately it is about 250 miles from Denver/Colorado Springs. That area is gorgeous, but lodging can be quite expensive. We looked at Durango as the base city and hotels were running about $225/night.

I do highly recommend that if you can make it to that area, do so! The western part of Colorado and Utah are well worth the journey.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Kind of like the old saying... "So many routes, so little time" lol Well, it did go something like that? I believe we could plan a couple of these drives for the evening hours. The sun sets very late this time of the year.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by blackberry
Kind of like the old saying... "So many routes, so little time" lol Well, it did go something like that? I believe we could plan a couple of these drives for the evening hours. The sun sets very late this time of the year.
Very good point....just as long as the afternoon showers hold off for a day or so.

We are so looking towards getting back to the Springs even if only temporarily!

Last edited by Erzer; 11-11-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Forum Regular

we are all eagerly waiting for the gtg in colorado. let me thank all of the members in the west for taking on this challenge.you will have to try to please a lot of "masters". thanks for all of your hard work to date and till the end. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!
gryfan
Southern Ontario Crossfire Owners

Old 11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

hell, as long as I get to visit my "namesake's" graveyard....I'm in for it all this time....lol

Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
hell, as long as I get to visit my "namesake's" graveyard....I'm in for it all this time....lol
Umm, I think he done died in Deadwood, SD?

Old 11-22-2010, 12:26 AM

Ok, a few more routes to tease you:

Who doesn't like South Park, the show? Well, here is your chance to see it. Not to mention that you will get to see Breckenridge and Loveland Pass:

Rocky Mountain National Park. As long as there is no long construction delays, this would be a great route. Granby for lunch.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Umm, I think he done died in Deadwood, SD?
Glenwood Springs CO.....natural causes, not lead poisening...lol

Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Glenwood Springs CO.....natural causes, not lead poisening...lol
Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 AM

Thanks for setting me straight.
Not a problem. I plan on heading out there one day. One of your routes heads out that way, I might just shoot...lol....on out there for a look see...then catch back up...his real grave was lost...so he won't be where he should be...but there might be something interesting to see....looks like everything is coming together very well....I will make reservations after the first of the year.

Quick Reply: CAA - RME - Denver based routes