New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Fluid leaking from rocker panel

Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid leaking from rocker panel

We have a 2007 coupe and have been very happy with it. We recently started to notice a thin clear fluid on both sides of the car dripping on to the garage floor. This is mostly within about 16" behind the front wheel well and seems to be dripping from the rocker panels. No rust is evident. All the fluid levels - brake, oil, power steering, coolant and transmission seem to be stable and full. The fluid crystallized on the garage floor, is odorless and does not seem irritating to the skin. This has been happening in the summer in dry weather. The volume is not large ( maybe an ounce or two) but is persistent. The car has been washed several times since any contact with Michigan road salt (and we rarely drive it between November and April). The fluid was persistent even a week or more parked in the garage while we were on vacation over the summer. Any suggestions or similar experience?

Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Fluid leaking from rocker panel

Originally Posted by Leslie
We have a 2007 coupe and have been very happy with it. We recently started to notice a thin clear fluid on both sides of the car dripping on to the garage floor. This is mostly within about 16" behind the front wheel well and seems to be dripping from the rocker panels. No rust is evident. All the fluid levels - brake, oil, power steering, coolant and transmission seem to be stable and full. The fluid crystallized on the garage floor, is odorless and does not seem irritating to the skin. This has been happening in the summer in dry weather. The volume is not large ( maybe an ounce or two) but is persistent. The car has been washed several times since any contact with Michigan road salt (and we rarely drive it between November and April). The fluid was persistent even a week or more parked in the garage while we were on vacation over the summer. Any suggestions or similar experience?
Any fluid that drains down the windshield at either end will go down a drain underneath the cowl and drain out behind the front fenders. It will appear from behind the rocker panels and drain onto the floor. Water from the center of the windshield will be diverted to a central drain.

If the drains are plugged it is possible for the water trapped behind the plug in the drain to slowly seep past the plug and drain over the course of a few days or so. Would that be possible in your case and have some relationship to the car being washed? The crystallization could just be salts in the concrete floor being pulled out.

The drains get plugged with leaves and debris and as they get plugged they filter smaller and smaller particles ending up plugged entirely.

This is a problem on this car and others, the drains should be inspected more often when the car is parked under or close to trees with small leaves especially. Leaves that pass through the drain collect behind the fender, I know as I have cleaned them out.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-22-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, check your windshield washer fluid. The tank is on the passenger side, in the front wheel well behind the inner liner and may be the culprit.

Les

Old 09-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Will check out drains

Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Well, check your windshield washer fluid. The tank is on the passenger side, in the front wheel well behind the inner liner and may be the culprit.

Les
OP said both sides of the car so ...........

Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
Thanks! Will check out drains
I went out to see if it was possible to see the drains without taking the windshield wipers and the cowl off, I'm glad to report that on the passenger side that using a flashlight, you can see the drain through the slot at the end of the cowl where the three fingers of rubber are. The bad news for me is my passenger side drain which was cleaned out this summer now has leaves covering it again.
I park my car in the garage, and it is seldom left on the driveway near the trees with small leaves. So anyone who has not looked at their drain lately should or a deluge could enter your car and possibly ruin the amp etc or at least make the carpets wet.