New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

New guy from Northern VA!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New guy from Northern VA!

Josh:

Dibs on your old rims, if/when you decide to sell them.

Tom

Old 03-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomSRT
Josh:

Dibs on your old rims, if/when you decide to sell them.

Tom
They need a good refinish as all four wheels have minor curb rash. (Wasn't me! They were like that when I bought the car.) I'm also re-using the same tires on the new wheels so if I were to part ways with the wheels it would be just the wheels.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Forum Regular

Couple of updates.

I ordered my spacers and extended lug bolts this morning so I should be mounting my new wheels within the next week or so. Also going to need to figure out what modifications I will need to make to the fenders for them to fit correctly.

As mentioned previously, my driver side door had some minor clearcoat failure up around the window trim and my dumbass managed to make it way worse. I was doing some trim restorer on the window trim last week in the evening time and it got dark way quicker than I expected it to. I ended up getting the trim shine stuff on the paint and immediately used some quick detailer and a microfiber towel to get it all off. It took some hard scrubbing to get it off and what I didn't realize at the time (because it had gotten so dark and my car is black) is that I was scrubbing away at the areas where the clearcoat was iffy and ended up making it way worse >_< My long term plan is to eventually get the car resprayed black but in the mean time I got to talking to my buddy who runs a professional plastidip shop. I decided to have my car professionally dipped as it will hide all the imperfections and whatnot until I can swing a full respray. Plastidip has come such a long way over the last few years and you can now get pretty much any color you can think of and they can even add in pearls, metallics, metalizers, glossifers, etc etc. I got to looking on dipyourcar.com's forum and came across this color and it was love at first sight.

blue_zps0767f459.jpg

He is going to charge me $650 to replicate this color and do the whole car (less the grill, side strakes, door handles and rear diffuser) and it'll give the car a fresh new look to compliment my new wheels and should last me until I can give the car a fresh coat of black. Although I may end up falling in love with this blue......lol.

Still haven't gotten around to doing my headliner in black microsuede or my exhaust but it'll all come together eventually.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking forward to seeing the results

Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, car looks great -- that's going to be one stunner car. Congratulations and looking forward to following your thread. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the side louver and wheel caps.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rayth
looking forward to seeing the results
I am still having the car professionally dipped although I have decided on a different color. I drop the car off to get dipped on the 19th of this month (just in time for Springfest) so stay tuned for the new color!

Originally Posted by autumnmass
WOW, car looks great -- that's going to be one stunner car. Congratulations and looking forward to following your thread. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the side louver and wheel caps.
I just Googled them until I found part numbers and then I Googled the part numbers and looked at the misc. OEM Chrysler surplus websites until I found the best prices.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Forum Regular

For anyone still following my thread.....

Couple of quick updates and pics.

I went to a local show over the weekend and surprisingly a few people took pictures of my basically stock looking car. There were hundreds of awesome cars there so I was suprised to be tagged in so many pics on Facebook/Instagram this morning.

IMG_12525999212746_zps844c9682.jpg

IMG_12521147694358_zpsf0a477af.jpg

I also FINALLY made my mind up on a color for my dip. I went to Royal Dip this past Friday and got everything finalized and paid my deposit. I drop the car off on Thursday. I decided to go with a satin Aston Martin green color. Or as I like to call it "Satin Aston Martin British Racing Green Pearl".....lol. I've always been a fan of the older green Aston Martin DB7's and it's a very European color that I think will look great on the Crossfire. I am keeping the side louvers, a-pillars and door handles silver though. The color itself a a one off mixture that the shop said they had never seen anyone else do a Plastidip color similar to this, even on the Dipyourcar.com forum. It's actualy got two colors of pearl in it (black and green pearl) and it looks amazing in both low light and in direct sunlight

Low light.

20140411_163829_zps67d42905.jpg

Direct sunlight.

20140411_163851_zps34aeb5b2.jpg

Other than that, i'm still figuring out my wheel fitment situation. The last piece of the puzzle arrives tomorrow morning so i'm hoping to have my wheels mounted this week or when I get my car back from being dipped next week. It's going to look like a completely different car after the dip and the wheels. I am also thinking of getting my exhaust done this week as well but i'll just have to wait and if that fits into my budget.

Until next time!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:22 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds awesome. These cars get looks everywhere, sock or not. I get questions and heads turning everywhere. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PNA
Sounds awesome. These cars get looks everywhere, sock or not. I get questions and heads turning everywhere. Look forward to seeing the pictures.
Thanks!

And it really depends on what age group/car genre you are trying to appeal to. I'm still in my twenties so needless to say my old car (seen below) made people **** bricks everywhere it went. The Crossfire doesn't quite get that reaction yet but once I mount my wheels and get it dipped i'm sure it'll have the slightly more "edgey" look that I miss.

Screenshot_2013-07-17-07-32-47-1_zps38bfff0a.png

And yes, it was static. It was on BC Extreme Low's with custom 12k/10k spring rates and was driven around at that height regularly. I kinda miss it but the SRT-6 is considerably faster and more comfortable so i'm at peace with my decision........lol.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking forward to seeing that green, will definitely be unique

Old 04-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Forum Regular

Dropped the car off this morning to get dipped and to have my custom exhaust fabbed up w/ the Megan Racing M-RS muffler!

And I finally got all the spacers and extended wheel bolts that I needed to run my new wheels so I will be mounting my new wheels once I get the car back. Still not certain what I am going to do with the rear fenders as you can't really roll them and I am pretty sure that with how aggressive my rear fitment will be that something will need to happen for the car to be able to roll.......lol.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Forum Regular

Quick update. It's coming along nicely

IMG_0891_zps7bc74447.jpg

Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm liking the color, a lot and can't wait to see it in full sunlight. As to the fenders. The fronts can be rolled but the fascia can't so you need to use restraint and blend down, if you know what I mean. I haven't looked at the rears closely but I think they can be rolled as far as the fascia too. Be aware that the rear suspension gains negative camber and toe out when compressed. So you can really push the tire out to the rear fender if that's the look you need.

Les

Old 04-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I'm liking the color, a lot and can't wait to see it in full sunlight. As to the fenders. The fronts can be rolled but the fascia can't so you need to use restraint and blend down, if you know what I mean. I haven't looked at the rears closely but I think they can be rolled as far as the fascia too. Be aware that the rear suspension gains negative camber and toe out when compressed. So you can really push the tire out to the rear fender if that's the look you need.

Les
Yeah the color looks tremendous in the sunlight. The front fenders are more or less factory rolled from what I can tell. I mean i'm sure with a fender roller I could pinch the fender lip a smidge tighter and get a few mm's extra clearance but that may not even be neccesary. As for the rears.......I don't believe they are rollable. It's somewhat of a double-walled setup in our rear fenders......not your traditional "fender lip" like the fronts. I talked to a few shops that I am friends with and have worked with in the past and they all said that the only viable solution would be to trim the metal (essentially cut the lip off altogether). I haven't even swapped my tires over to the new wheels yet so i'm holding off on doing something that extreme until I do an actual test fit. I am hoping that with the little bit of stretch (my 255/35's will be going onto a 19x10 in the rear) will help it to fit without having to do too much modification. I guess I will just have to wait and see! I am picking the car up tomorrow freshly dipped and my exhaust is being done there as well.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:47 PM

My front fenders were rolled by me. They were pulled by Costco when they couldn't get the lift under the front jack pads. Bstards! I can fit a 255 on the front with the roll and 30 offset. My rear track setup is 18x10 with a 25 offset and I have 275's mounted. No roll, 7mm room to the outside. No room to the inside. A 19x10 will fit easily. The problem is the tire at the inner fender well if lowered and wider. I can look for a picture of the front if helpful.

Les

Old 04-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by velociabstract
My front fenders were rolled by me. They were pulled by Costco when they couldn't get the lift under the front jack pads. Bstards! I can fit a 255 on the front with the roll and 30 offset. My rear track setup is 18x10 with a 25 offset and I have 275's mounted. No roll, 7mm room to the outside. No room to the inside. A 19x10 will fit easily. The problem is the tire at the inner fender well if lowered and wider. I can look for a picture of the front if helpful.

Les
Thanks for the info! Have you ever visited www.willtheyfit.com? I have been part of the "aggressive fitment" crazy long before it blew up and became a mainstream thing and that website has always helped me along the way.

My setup (with spacers) will end up being:

18x8.5 +19 with a 225/40/18 up front and a 19x10 +10 with a 255/40/19 in the rear. Little bit lower offset than your setup but also a little bit less meat (or as I like to call it a "baby stretch").

And I already have that rubbing issue under full lock. Not really a concern......my Miata's rubbing issues were far more extreme.....lol. If it's worsens with the new wheel setup I have a nice rubber mallet that can persuade it to work.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:40 PM

WOW! That's poking! Using willtheyfit, your new set of rear rims and tires poke 15 mm more than mine. I'm lowered about 1 1-2" in the rear and have room to poke more or less 7mm more with my -1.5 of camber. (used 5mm spacers to test) If your lowered the 10 offset won't work unless you have -3º of camber, or more. Post up the test fit results. I'd like to know if I'm wrong.

Les

Old 04-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Forum Regular

Currently I am running the OEM wheels with a 15mm rear spacer which would make it a 19x9 +7. And it's still a good bit too conservative for my tastes. I think that stretch will help free up some clearance but i'm just going to mount it all up and see what happens. Worst case scenario I end up doing some trimming.

Here is how the rear it currently sitting. The KW's are on the lowest setting possible. There is some natural camber from lowering the car but I haven't had a chance to get it up on an alignment rack yet so I don't know how much camber exactly. And because I have so many sets of spacers laying around (two 3mm, two 5mm, two 15mm, two 20mm and two 25mm) I can always play around with the spacers and run a more conservative setup temporarily if need be. If I were to run my existing 15mm spacers with my new wheels in the rear it would actually poke .3mm LESS than the stock wheels (new wheels are 19x10 +35 in the rear) and with more stretch which would look silly. I could possibly run the 20mm spacers in the rear but I really need those for the front because the wheels need at least that to avoid making contact with the knuckle (new wheels in the front are 18x8.5 +42). I knew that these wheels would be a nightmare to fit and run the way I want them to sit but I view that as a good thing as it will defer copycats.....lol.

IMG_12521147694358_zpsf0a477af.jpg

But I know all about camber, poke and getting wheels to fit as evidenced by my previous car.....lol. Although I don't want the Crossfire to be nearly as extreme as the Miata was. I just want a nice meaty flush look.

c95ad9b15847707529599d7020daddae_zps6baa9cb8.jpg

Last edited by HOT FIYA; 04-20-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

welcome and nice color,, jim

Old 04-20-2014, 06:14 PM

For some reason the prior pictures didn't show up on my laptop so duh, your real low and the 10 offset may just clear. Your lower than me and I measured -3.5º after lowering. Eyeballing the pictures, that for some reason I can see now, you have much more than -3.5º. Crazy bad for tire longevity but that's not your thing, I imagine.

I'm a track junkie myself so I'm after maximum grip at maximum G's. Not the same game but I'm a fan of all styles and flavors as long as it's clear what the goal is. Go all the way or stay home. Loving the diversity.

Les

Quick Reply: New guy from Northern VA!