New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Slammed Crossfire

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Slammed Crossfire

I feel like I could tell a difference after the tune even while still stock

and car-parts.com is where I got my TB.. around $70 I think

Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DarksideXF
Wheel spacers are 25mm rear, 10mm front. Both are Eibach hubcentric.
Suspension for now is unfortunately just cut springs. I took a coil off the front and a coil and a half off the rear. Seen a lot of over members doing this so figured it was free so I'd give it a try. The ride gets worse and worse, mostly due to the Midwest roads... I just drove the car to Florida Sunday and got home today (1400 miles one way) and the further south I got the better the roads got and the smoother it rode.

I used to work at a race/parts shop down there called enjuku that deals with mostly Japanese cars, but found out while I was down there that BC Racing has a coilover available for the XF. I had a set of bc coilovers on my old miata and they were awesome (I've also had stance, tein, and Megan on other miatas and Nissan 240sx's, and the BC were the best as far as ride quality) so I think I'll start saving and give those a try. I still have friends that work there so I can get them at cost...

Now I just need need to figure out what to do first.... Coilovers or tune and intake... Hmmmm
BC actually in fact does not make coilovers for a Crossfire. When I first purchased my Crossfire I too was under the impression that BC made coilovers for our cars as I found a few websites that had them listed which I have listed below. However, I was a bit thrown off at the fact that BC's website has nothing listed for a Crossfire or even an r170 chassis SLK so I did a bit of digging and found out that these coilovers are not made to fit Crossfires. I'm actually friends with a few guys over at BC (they custom built my Type-BR Extreme Low's for my old Miata) and upon contacing them directly I found out that the coilovers these websites are advertising are actually for the r171 chassis (later model SLK) whereas Crossfires are actually based on the r170 chassis and that they never manufactured a Crossfire or an r170 chassis SLK-specific coilover. I guess the websites merely "assumed" that they would fit a Crossfire or were just flatout uneducated. After speaking with the guys at BC they highly advised against me trying to "retrofit" these coilovers onto a Crossfire. I don't know much about the differences between the r170 and r171 chassis but I know enough to say that it won't be simple bolt-on installation. I wound up getting KW Variant 2's as they are one of the few FULL coilover setups available specifically for our cars. The Ground Control sleeves are nice but I didn't want just a sleeve style coilover because at that point you'll also need to buy aftermarket shocks/struts if you plan on running them low, otherwise you'll over-stress and wind up blowing your factory shocks/struts in no time. So at that point you may as well have just bought a full coilovers. Thankfully I got mine at a discounted rate as they normally retail for $2,200 new. But I like having a suspension setup that it not only height adjustable but also dampening adjustable. On another note, KW makes two seperate coilover systems (two different model numbers and everything) for the SLK32/320 and the Crossfire, which means even though they are the same chassis there are still some differences.

Examples of the only two websites I could find that had BC Coilovers listed for a Crossfire. You'll notice neither website has an actual model number listed and upon calling both places the model numbers they gave me in fact matched the coilovers BC manufactuers for the r171 chassis.

BC Racing BR Series Coilovers for Chrysler Crossfire 2003-2007

BC Racing BR Coilovers Chrysler Crossfire

The KW's don't go as low as I would like for them to and I will likely eventually end up ordering some shorter springs through Swift but for now they fit the bill. The whole setup rides amazingly (They are 19 way dampening adjustable and I currently have them set right in the middle at 9) and I have them as low as they will go which is a 2" drop (likely a little more after they settled).

Hope this helps man! Just didn't wanna see you spend $900+ and get a set of coilovers that won't even fit your car.

Last edited by HOT FIYA; 04-15-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well damn! Really disappointed! My friend at enjuku told me he could get a set for 825 shipped...a steal. But I guess I'll have to go a different route

I do like my current ride height but it has definitely taken a toll on the stock suspension. Maybe I'll just get some Kyb shocks from autozone and call it a day?

By the way, you're car sounds sick in your sig. Where can I find some pics?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DarksideXF
Well damn! Really disappointed! My friend at enjuku told me he could get a set for 825 shipped...a steal. But I guess I'll have to go a different route

I do like my current ride height but it has definitely taken a toll on the stock suspension. Maybe I'll just get some Kyb shocks from autozone and call it a day?

By the way, you're car sounds sick in your sig. Where can I find some pics?
Believe me, I was just as bummed out as you are because my buddy has a hook-up through a suspension vendor and I was going to get the BC's for super cheap. Thankfully he was able to get me a pretty good discount on the KW's.....but they still cost more than double of what I was expecting to pay for the BC's. I got my V2's for $1,850 shipped whereas they would normally cost around $2,200 + shipping. Still considerably more than what I ever paid for coilovers for my old Miata. But I suppose that's the price you pay to be different.