New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Noob in Richmond! Hi all!

Old 04-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noob in Richmond! Hi all!

Thanks in advance for all your help, I'm sure I'll have a million questions. I just picked up a very clean 05 SRT6 Roadster! I'm a Merc/AMG fan, had an E63 for a while and a few other Mercs and just love their products.

I was looking for an inexpensive but fast and fun Miata like thing (no I wasn't going to GET a Miata, just something small & quick ... . ). Anyway I looked at tons of stuff, MR2s, boxsters, vettes, M3, SLK, TT turbo, and nothing was very exciting... And I saw the crossfire pop up in the convertibles search but I figured (apologies in advance) that it was another fat, bloated, underpowered glitz piece like the prowler... Yea ... and then I read about the SRT6, Merc involvement and German builders and then I saw those magic three letters...

A. M. G.

An AMG in American clothes?? And it was priced like a Chrysler and not a AMG Merc! Well I just ran out and bought it the day after I discovered it and inhaled the Internet learning about it... And I am SOOOO psyched... It's stunning, the wing is a little much but it's supposed to have some flair, it's a rocket and handles like a 911! (*ok not quite like that but closer to any real sports car than any American brand before... Don't get me wrong I like American cars but they haven't built anything great since the 60's... )

Anyway I do have one question to fire off though, ok two...

1. What maintenance do I need to do to get this thing up to par? It's a very clean 05 w 82k miles and a stellar car fax.... I'm assuming the trains needs a service, what else? Does the supercharger need attention? I learned the the 5.5 AMGs that their blower has a 90-120k lifespan and then you're looking at about 7-9k to get it fixed. Considering this looks like a direct variant of that same blower do I need to get a spare on hand well in advance? Can I head off the wear with good maintenance or operating practices?

2. I know the supercharger cuts in and out on command. However, mine seems to not want to kick back in. I'll get on it and 60% of the time I get a ZOOM but once in a while I get a strangled 3.2l v6 trying desperately to gain revs and meanwhile not put out much power. I am assuming the blower cut off but why won't it kick back on?

No lights, no warnings, no noises or rattles, drivability is a-ok, just no power... But then next time it might slam you back in the seat and take off...

Yes I bought this with the problem, or behavior... I'm willing to put some money in it if it needs a new controller etc.... Thoughts?? I'm a former mechanic (GM) so I'll be wanting to do it myself. I have a full feature ODBCII tool if I need to inspect any data you need.

Again thank you for any and all tips, I'm headed to the FAQ now to search about the blower...

Thanks!

Drive Safe, Drie FREE!!

Dave TFFT

Last edited by Davetfft; 04-04-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:20 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Noob in Richmond! Hi all!

Most likely need to replace your intercooler pump. Easy swap and about $125

Old 04-07-2016, 06:14 AM
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum!

Old 04-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To call this an American car is a misnomer.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Dave. Yes; an easy fix, the Intercooler pump replacement. Search on the Forum here for tons of info., as well as an easy R.&R. replacement tutorial.

Bob

Old 04-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Welcome to our forum.

Later,