New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Crankshaft Position Sensor woes

Old 04-26-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor woes

2004 Crossfire: My engine codes showed an issue with my Crankshaft Position Sensor. I replaced it a while back with an after market sensor. It ran fine for a while and then the engine developed the same problem. I replaced it under warranty and it was fine for another 6 months or so, then I replaced it again. Now it cuts off too often. When I move the wire with my fingers or a tool, it will cut the engine off. Thinking this could be a faulty plug or wire, I purchased a wiring harness (used) and cut off the plug and about 5 inches of wire, and soldered it in place. This did not fix the problem. Perhaps the wire is bad above where I cut it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue. I read in CrossFire forums that you have to replace the sensor with an OEM from Chrysler or Mercedes, or with a Bosch one. Seems like the sensor is fine though and something is wrong with the wire. Could it still be the sensor? Chrysler wants $240 for their sensor, with a non-refund policy.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:30 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor woes

Originally Posted by jhartung12
2004 Crossfire: My engine codes showed an issue with my Crankshaft Position Sensor. I replaced it a while back with an after market sensor. It ran fine for a while and then the engine developed the same problem. I replaced it under warranty and it was fine for another 6 months or so, then I replaced it again. Now it cuts off too often. When I move the wire with my fingers or a tool, it will cut the engine off. Thinking this could be a faulty plug or wire, I purchased a wiring harness (used) and cut off the plug and about 5 inches of wire, and soldered it in place. This did not fix the problem. Perhaps the wire is bad above where I cut it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue. I read in CrossFire forums that you have to replace the sensor with an OEM from Chrysler or Mercedes, or with a Bosch one. Seems like the sensor is fine though and something is wrong with the wire. Could it still be the sensor? Chrysler wants $240 for their sensor, with a non-refund policy.
The Chrysler is Mercedes sensor is a Bosch sensor and someone purchased one lately and it cost somewhere around $30. That is an excellent price, the post was on here within the last five to seven days. Use search to find it.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Quit screwing around with aftermarket sensors - BIG MISTAKE when it comes to the CPS. Order this:
https://www.germanautosupply.com/mer...ensor-227.html

I doubt the cable harness is bad, I really do. And stop going to Chyrsler for parts, dont' even search "Crossfire" search "2003 SLK320" for such items.
Sure, you cant order a DOOR or BUMPER that way, but almost anything engine/drive train/chassis you can. Price will be way lower than the "CHrysler" part, and it will be easier to find.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 04-26-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:47 PM
Administrator

By the way, your post, almost word for word, describes the CLASSIC issue with aftermarket CPS's.
They work, kinda, for a while - then they dont.

I've bought three of the one I linked you to. Used one in my last car then used the next one in a friend's car.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Quit screwing around with aftermarket sensors - BIG MISTAKE when it comes to the CPS. Order this:
https://www.germanautosupply.com/mer...ensor-227.html

I doubt the cable harness is bad, I really do. And stop going to Chyrsler for parts, dont' even search "Crossfire" search "2003 SLK320" for such items.
Sure, you cant order a DOOR or BUMPER that way, but almost anything engine/drive train/chassis you can. Price will be way lower than the "CHrysler" part, and it will be easier to find.
If you want to save money, it can be found on Amazon for $27.19.
CLICK

Old 04-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

If you want to save money, it can be found on Amazon for $27.19.
I can verify, I ordered this and it is in a parts bag with Bosch labeling, also Bosch is labeled on the CPS itself. I installed it and it works fine.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I can verify, I ordered this and it is in a parts bag with Bosch labeling, also Bosch is labeled on the CPS itself. I installed it and it works fine.
You guys are luckier than I am. I just ordered one, moments ago. Price was $29.78, or $31.94 with Ohio tax. Free Prime shipping. So was I ripped off? I think I won't hold my breath for the $2.59 difference.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:09 AM

Thanks guys. I just ordered the Bosch sensor per pizzaguy's recommendation. I'll post an update once I receive and it and see if this solves the problem.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Administrator

I know that eBay and Amazon offer lower prices, but I have had issues getting the exact part from both eBay and Amazon. (Amazon seems better, but still.)

For $45, I know I am getting what I ordered and that it will be here in a few days. YOu won't see me provided links to Amazon or eBay very often, I will leave that to others. I'm sticking with a supplier that I have confidence in.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM

I know that eBay and Amazon offer lower prices, but I have had issues getting the exact part from both eBay and Amazon. (Amazon seems better, but still.)

For $45, I know I am getting what I ordered and that it will be here in a few days. YOu won't see me provided links to Amazon or eBay very often, I will leave that to others. I'm sticking with a supplier that I have confidence in.
No problems like that in my experience, though I got my one from FCP Euro. Now I see more options, I always think my money fits in my pocket better than in somebody else's. If the POTUS likes saving money it's good enough for me as well, I still pay my taxes regularly, no outs for me there.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:52 PM

No problems like that in my experience, though I got my one from FCP Euro. It is either a Bosch part or it is not, simple. Now I see more options, I always think my money fits in my pocket better than in somebody else's. If the POTUS likes saving money it's good enough for me as well, I still pay my taxes regularly, no outs for me there.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:51 PM
Administrator

See, that's just it. Personal experience.

I think it was Aristotle who said, "Dont trust anyone. There is nothing like a fact learned in your own life."*

*As paraphrased by James Burke in his book and TV series, "The Day the Universe Changed." "

Old 04-28-2017, 02:57 PM

I think it was Aristotle who said, "Dont trust anyone. There is nothing like a fact learned in your own life."*
I thought that was Richard Nixon

Old 04-28-2017, 07:44 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Just curious if the folks with CPS experience feel that this is a part that should be replaced on a Scheduled Maintenance timeline. Part typically fails due to heat exposure from location on backside of engine. (Correct if I'm wrong here on failure mode.) But rather than be stuck somewhere, wouldn't it be wise to replace this with a new Bosch part after so many miles/months/years, etc.? I'm getting on 10 years now with the original factory part, but the car only has a little over 18k on the ODO. Planning on partaking in CAA-08 event later this year, and even though I can take a new CPS with tools for install, I'd rather not do this along the roadside somewhere. In my garage would suit me much better.

Just curious.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:48 PM

I took the precaution. The old working one is now a spare in the trunk.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put that Bosch part on your "Wish" list on Amazon, and watch for the price to drop. I ordered one today when I saw the price dropped again to $26.78 without tax, and free shipping for Prime. I'm planning on doing the same as the previous poster here, replace it, and keep the old one as a spare in the trunk ( great idea from Alabama ! )

Old 04-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Germanautosupply.com $45 Free Shipping. Done.
I've ordered three from them so far. One went in my Graphite when it died at a stoplight at 98,000 or so.
Second one went to someone at a Dragon meet.

The common belief is that they get sensitive to heat. Once cooled off, the car runs. But I've also heard that one guy removed it, wiped it clean and put it back on and the car ran. I suppose the pickup is sensitive and maybe metal shavings, etc. were confusing it.

In any event, I'd say order one and put it in. Keep the old one as a spare as George suggested.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As was discussed previously, has anyone just tried cleaning and using contact cleaner and then reinserting? I xrayed one a few years ago after I had replaced it, it showed no moving parts. I now have that as a backup but haven't had the opportunity to try it. Until I'm proved wrong, I continue to believe this problem is a result of the harsh conditions and maybe routine cleaning would suffice rather than periodic replacement.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:34 AM

So I installed my new Bosch sensor and it fixed the problem! Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:44 AM

welcome, happy endings and at the beginning! Great knowledge shared even in the intro areas. I am a Prime member and have had problems with parts purchased. If coming from a 3rd party, knockoffs are common, and only shipping is handled by Amazon. Typically in this situation Amazon only has like a 30 day recourse on failure with the 3rd party seller pointing fingers back at Amazon. I've had this happen in both Auto parts as well as Dell branded laptop parts. Just an fyi, better than ebay but not by much.