New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

New 2007 crossfire roadster owner

Old 09-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2007 crossfire roadster owner

Hello crossfire owners I purchased a 2007 red crossfire roadster with 13000 miles 3 wks ago. I am located in warren, oh area. I purchased this car from a Chrysler dealer unfortunately they have had for 2wks fixing a top problem. They have have sent the car out to a top shop to replace a sensor which was done but they need to now calibrate it which has now taken a couple of days. I have been reading all of the post on this site concerning top issues and have not found any info on calibrating? Am I being misinformed?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 09-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: New 2007 crossfire roadster owner

Re-post this under the roadster category and describe the symptoms, windows go down, top unlatches but does not move, switch beeps, trunk divider is in place etc. for more feedback. Also search and read the many postings on top issues. I would be very afraid of a dealer but if it is under warrantee ???

Old 09-03-2017, 05:48 PM

The dealer did give me a 90 day warranty thats why I took it back . If I they fail to fix the problem I will post symptoms. What is the proper sequence of events when lowering the the top?

Old 09-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

There is NO calibration involving the top.
Sequence :
When it's working ( putting top down ) :
1. unlatch the "D" handle and slightly raise top, windows will go down.
2. press and hold the rear of the top switch.
3. You will hear the bow lock release, then the rear bow will raise.
4. You will hear the tonneau latch release, then the tonneau cover will raise.
6. The top will retract into the well.
7. the tonneau will close and latch.
8. You will hear one beep indicating successfull operation.

putting top up "
1. press and hold the front of the top swirch
2. the tonneau cover will raise
3. the top will raise
4. the tonneau will close and lock.
5. the rear bow will close and lock
6. you must pull the top carefully closed with the turned "D" handle, then latch.
7. optionally, you can press the top switch twice rapidly twice in the up direction and both windows will raise.

Manual process : see pizzaguys video : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...operation.html

Last edited by ala_xfire; 09-03-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

"Calibrate it" - yea, that's a phrase uttered by someone who knows nothing, NOTHING of what they are talking about.

Our world is going to hell. Here we are, in a world filled with electronics and electro-mechanical devices, systems and product. Yet, no one is learning or teaching electronics/electronic troubleshooting as a vocation anymore.

If I did not have a 34 year background as an electronics technician, I'd have never bought my second, let alone third, Crossfire Roadster.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by yamjski
Hello crossfire owners I purchased a 2007 red crossfire roadster with 13000 miles 3 wks ago. I am located in warren, oh area. I purchased this car from a Chrysler dealer unfortunately they have had for 2wks fixing a top problem. They have have sent the car out to a top shop to replace a sensor which was done but they need to now calibrate it which has now taken a couple of days. I have been reading all of the post on this site concerning top issues and have not found any info on calibrating? Am I being misinformed?
Thanks
While I don't own a roadster of my own, I have confidence in those that do. Pizzaguy might be the most knowledgeable resource on this forum when it comes to the inner workings (including electronics) of the roadster's top. And he clearly states that you're being "taken for a ride" by your dealer when they say a sensor needs "calibrating". It might need to be positioned correctly, but again, pizzaguy would most likely know if this was an issue. You may need to share with us which sensor they are specifically referring to and this forum will provide you with specifics on what needs to be done.

Oh, and it's common practice for dealers to send their convertible top work to an outside upholstery shop. They can't afford to keep that kind of skill around when it's not required that much. And as such, upholstery shops will have varying skillsets when it comes to working on tops.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks
Great choice! I also have a 2007 red roadster with just over 13,000 miles on it, and a 2004 coupe with over 100k on it. The Crossfire top mechanism has many microswtches that communicates with the convertible top module insuring that the opening and closing operation works in the proper order. If one of they many switches/sensors are open or closed at the wrong time the top mechanism will not function. I doubt any top shop would have a Chrysler Star System scanner (for 2007/2008 Crossfire's) with the special Crossfire cable which would show which sensor is causing the problem. If a switch were physically out of place for some reason like being bent you could loosely call putting that back in place a calibration. I'm guessing they don't know for sure and someone is physically looking to see if all of the switches are opening and closing. Most likely they don't know about the safety switch in the trunk storage area, the switch in the trunk lid, or the switch inside the windshield frame on the right side. Sorry to be pessimistic about that. If they can find a Chrysler dealer with a Starscan and Crossfire cable they can quickly see what switch(s) are showing faults.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:35 PM

Another option I know will work "just for the convertible top module" on 2007 and 2008's is Witech software on a laptop, a starmoble device in passthrough mode, and the same special Crossfire cable.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-05-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:59 PM

How does one acquire the Witech software is this something the dealer might know about? I was told by the service manager that they are trying to borrow a scanner from another dealer in the Cleveland area because theirs wont save codes? sounds fishy to me?
The main issue was the rear bow would not securely latch the top down completely .
I do want to Thank all of you who have responded, I feel blessed to have found this site Thank You

Old 09-05-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does one acquire the Witech software is this something the dealer might know about? I was told by the service manager that they are trying to borrow a scanner from another dealer in the Cleveland area because theirs wont save codes? sounds fishy to me?
The main issue was the rear bow would not securely latch the top down completely .
I do want to Thank all of you who have responded, I feel blessed to have found this site Thank You
I remember reading a previous thread about the rear bow latch adjustment, if I'm not mistaken it is in the crossfire service manual available here on the Forum for download, might be worth your time to take a look 😉 the solution to your problem may be as simple as adjusting that latch.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 PM

The WiTech software is the current standard Chrysler dealer diagnostic software. The Starmobile device used for pass through vehicle communications is obsolete, so they may not have that, or the Crossfire cable used with it.

The Starmobile device was replaced by what they called VCI pods, and then micropods. I don't know if those devices with the Witech software work with a Crossfire.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-05-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954
I remember reading a previous thread about the rear bow latch adjustment, if I'm not mistaken it is in the crossfire service manual available here on the Forum for download, might be worth your time to take a look �� the solution to your problem may be as simple as adjusting that latch.
Check out, (under) Roadster/"issue raising and latching the top;" post #4. Link to tophydraulicsinc.com. They even offer rebuilt rear bow latch & tonneau cover latch etc. Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 AM

What is the difference between a roadster and other crossfire's

Old 09-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

1. The convertible top and associated pump and wiring, of course.
2. the switch on the console ( and a locking console lid ).
3. extra body stiffener bars.
4. the tonneau cover and trunk lid.
5. the spoiler
6. the rollover bars
7. a rear window that tends to fall out after about 8 years
8. the wind in your hair

Last edited by ala_xfire; 09-15-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:56 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by RICKFRINK
What is the difference between a roadster and other crossfire's
To summarize ala-xfire's comments above, the Roadster is the convertible model and the other XFires are Coupes.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
1. The convertible top and associated pump and wiring, of course.
2. the switch on the console ( and a locking console lid ).
3. extra body stiffener bars.
4. the tonneau cover and trunk lid.
5. the spoiler
6. the rollover bars
7. a rear window that tends to fall out after about 8 years
8. the wind in your hair
Don't forget the bugs 😝 and the young girls winking at you, thinking they're going to catch a silver-haired sugar daddy driving around in an expensive-looking sports car, ,😉 even though we know it's a poor man's Mercedes.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Then I must have a roadster I have a convertible