New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

A great beginning! My 2004 Coupe

Old 08-04-2019, 10:09 AM
Forum Regular
Received 195 Likes on 138 Posts
Default A great beginning! My 2004 Coupe

This story begins June 15th when I found my beloved 2008 Acura TL’s transmission beginning to slip, a car I was planning on being buried in. Being 74, I tried to get my wife to upgrade our plainJane 2013 CRV LX and just be a 1 car family. She said no. That’s where the fun begins.

The beginning side of my life had Me into a Triumph Spitfire then to an MGB to be replaced wIth 4 doors as our family grew - and for 50 years that was the norm. June 17th, we were Sunday driving when I spotted a red 1975 TR6 for sale alongside the road. That 20 minute affair led me to Craig’s List where I was seeing how many more fun cars were up for sale. And up pops a Crossfire! I had to look twice because the only one I ever saw was maybe 2005 at a gas station and I remember the excited 1 minute jibber jabber of the owner. Never saw a single one since but that excited jibber jabber came rushing back.

Did a short bit of reading up trying to figure out why more people haven’t fallen head over heels. Strange Electrical problems, computer glitzes, ignition problems, check engine lights all cost tons of money and failed relationships.

As fate would have it, in comes the CrossfireForum where members calmly explained the breakup marriage of these two car companies that resulted in 12 years of most dealerships treating the Crossfire as a bastard child. A large number probably shunned upgrade training, tooling, schooling and viewed the car as a sign of bad corporate judgement to best be forgotten.

What kept me in the hunt was one member talking about the solid engineering of Mercedes and how it is 80% of this car. Others demonstrated how most problems are these buggy little things that have tons of documented fixes, many with photographs and simple to understand instructions. Calming stories about simple sanding down of contacts, replacing a $75 sensor, sending off a computer board to a member who fixes them in lieu of a new computer. To be fair, many many stories of satisfied love for a decade noting very few hiccups.

This seemed to justify my love at first sight of the smashing sleek look and vexing hips surrounding the 19” rear wheels. No different than that sultry come hither look of a woman in high heals. Ergonomics and fantasy ! Engineering and depressed resale value ! What’s not to love ?

I took the plunge ! A week looking on line followed by a 160 mile trip to a small town just off Route 81 in PA with a 2 hour test drive, negotiation, handshake, and exhilarating drive back. This sharp Sapphire Gray 2004 coupe, almost a virgin with only 48,000 miles, zipping back up Rt 81 to its new home on a wonderful upstate NY summer day, the windows down and radio blaring.

The best part of this story is over a months worth of exceeded expectations AFTER I bought the car, dealing with appearance, reliability, and engineering proof of a well made product. Reading as many articles as I could on this car gave me a deeper appreciation of some things not so apparent.

Understanding why the ride is so solid and true - hugging the road on winding curves proves Its manners and drivability are the best part about the Crossfire. Learning that engineering tests proved the Crossfire Coupe tested best regarding torsional rigidity, giving the driver and passenger a more “solid” feel where the cabin has less rattling and popping noises because the car body has less twist and flex when there are forces transmitted from the suspension. Hugging and smiling at every single curve proves the coupe has a structural advantage. The Crossfire shares its floorpan with the SLK, but in the Chrysler it's modified with extra tie bars and frame gussets, adding the steel bar directly behind the seats that prompt Chrysler to proclaim class-leading chassis stiffness. The Crossfire corners as flat as a sports car proving the total design was well thought out.

The Magazines state that at the limits of its cornering ability, the Crossfire will begin plowing sooner than a 350Z or BMW Z4. (So what?) Chrysler says this is a function of the car being tuned for more relaxed cruising than all-out sport driving. The Crossfire sports huge 225/40 by 18-inch front and 255/35 by 19-inch rear tires. The tires are relatively large for a car that is not intended to be an uncompromised sports car, such as Nissan's 350Z, but we suspect the Crossfire's large tires were specified for styling appeal. (Of course !)

Road and Track says the Mercedes V6 offers quick throttle and the Crossfire accelerates with force. It corners flat, its Mercedes suspension always feels controlled and it had the latest in Mercedes anti-skid technology. The A-arm front and multilink rear suspension and the monster tires feel like they can cope with more speed than the engine is capable of providing. Yet another publication lists the 2004 Mercedes 3.2L, 215 horse, V6 transmission and drivetrain as one of the top 10 power plants ever made, (having more torque than a Porsche 911 !)

On other days I learned the high and unusual numbers of owners in 100,000 mile club. The looks of other drivers at stop lights thumbing in my direction with long looks I recognize as envy.

One thing research didn’t show me was my first washing and waxing ...when no one was looking, my hands were all over this baby where I found absolutely no dents, indentations, rust or scratches.....the 15 pebble nicks cured by a Chrysler touch up stick. Interior almost spotless black carpet with two tone leather seats showing only slight cracks on driver entry point. Even the cup holder works !

Only 2 suprises....... car insurance is $40 less than Acura TL. Secondly, everything works !! The spoiler comes up at 61MPH every times as do the pipes sound nice and throaty, accentuated by my hearing aids.

I freely admit that I would have walked away by the early on negative comments if it were NOT for this Forum. You showed that with FAITH there is REDEMPTION. I could go on.........but I’m 74.

But just one more thing..........

I’m thinking my vanity plate should simply read ATLAST. Because Etta James said it best........
I found a dream, that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to press my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known

Old 08-04-2019, 10:51 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Re: A great beginning ! My 2004 Coupe

Welcome and outstanding write up. ENJOY the ride.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 474 Likes on 330 Posts

Welcome JoeO
I absolutely loved reading your intro post here
I very happy you discovered the Crossfire and the forum here
Together you have the best combination a Crossfire owner could ever want
I remember in 2007 when I found my first Crossfire... my story was much like yours
I hadn't seen a Crossfire since my first and only sighting in 2004 when a black Coupe passed me on the expressway making me need to go faster to catch up and see whet it was
I was in love with what I saw that night but the memory faded and then in 2007 when shopping for a fun sports car a Crossfire appeared and the hunt was on
Prices were nearly half of the original price only 3 years after sold as new....I found my Coupe and bought it
I drove it for 11 years and 90,000 miles trouble free and sold it last year with 111,000 miles and still in perfect condition
I then purchased the 6 speed Roadster I have now from a good friend whom I found it for in 2009 with only 6100 miles at the time.
She enjoyed it for 9 years and was ready to move onto something different so I bought it from her with only 51,000 miles last March
I've already put 13,000 trouble free miles on it

Have a blast and maybe you can attend a Crossfire event and meet many of us here in person
Keep an eye on all the events being organized in the section link right here >> Crossfire Events and Meets

Old 08-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Forum Regular

Thank You Zeracer. I’m sure to learn here...and enjoy the learning !

Old 08-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

JoeO

WELCOME!

You could not have said how I felt when I "discovered" our Crossfire any better! Bravo! We've had ours a year now. She's a blast and a joy to drive...heck she's a blast and a joy to just LOOK at! (Smile).

Old 08-05-2019, 08:15 AM
Forum Regular

Right on, Jim.....!

some mornings when nature gets me up early, I get my coffee and go to the garage and just sip it slowly. I go vroom vroom and take another sip.

glad to see there are other zealots doing pretty much the same.

best
joe

Old 08-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nicely written Joe. I enjoyed it immensely. I, like you, fell for the Crossfire a few years ago. Gave my 87 Mustang to my son
and went looking. Found a 2004 Coupe in red and haven't looked back. There have been a few hiccups along the way but
with this forum I was able to get all taken care of. The only problem I still have is the drivers seat, hurts the middle of my back.
I have gotten a cushion from Wal Mart that helps but looks tacky. Oh Well, so be it. Like others have said "ENJOY THE RIDE"

Bill T.

Last edited by Valk; 08-05-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Bill.......don’t let tackeyness keep you from enjoying the ride. Hell, sometimes I mix plaids with stripes.

there are quite a few devices out there that might support your backs sore point. One thing to consider is the Crossfire has you close to being a right angle rather than being bent also at the knees. Maybe an expert knows a solution.

best,
joe

Old 08-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Valk,

i replied to you you earlier but don’t see it. Maybe I hit the wrong button.

thanks for your comments along the way.......hope to meet you at some future get together.

best
joe

Old 08-05-2019, 10:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JoeO
Thanks Bill.......don’t let tackeyness keep you from enjoying the ride. Hell, sometimes I mix plaids with stripes.

there are quite a few devices out there that might support your backs sore point. One thing to consider is the Crossfire has you close to being a right angle rather than being bent also at the knees. Maybe an expert knows a solution.

best,
joe
Never gave that a thought Joe. Next time I see my doctor I will check with her.
In the meantime I will ask my daughter, who is a Nurse Practitioner. Maybe she can help.
Bill T.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:40 AM
Forum Regular

Hey Bill. !!!

just saw a tv ad for a cushion that just might help. Go to buyperfectcushion.com

$30

best
joe

Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JoeO
Hey Bill. !!!

just saw a tv ad for a cushion that just might help. Go to buyperfectcushion.com

$30

best
joe
Saw those Joe, when I was looking for a solution. I need support for my middle back. Those appear to change
your seating position. I need something that makes the seat softer in the upper cushion. So far this tacky looking
one from Wal*Mart does the job. Thanks for the input, appreciated.
Bill T.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: A great beginning! My 2004 Coupe

Thanks JoeO, for a great story & photos! Mrs. chose her "dream" convertible sports car, brought them both home 4/05. In spite of the few common quirks, (not difficult for any reasonably competent do-it-yourselfer), she's a keeper, (& Mrs. too!).
The original convertible top supplier can be rightfully blamed for the rear window detachment (far too soon for that type of failure), but the way Chrysler handled the situation was cheap, disgusting & shameful (in my polite humble opinion). In the long run, they ruined any chance of a positive reputation with us. Too bad for them.
Long may we all enjoy our Crossfires!

Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A great beginning! My 2004 Coupe

JoeO- great looking car and handsome Bulldog!! Looking forward to getting my SRT and joining the adventure! Well written article! Good job!!!

Old 08-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: A great beginning! My 2004 Coupe

Hi Jeff,

Hogan is his name.....11 years old last week ! His treat was a ride to his favorite ice cream joint.

they could be brothers !