New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Looking at a crossfire

Old 12-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a crossfire

Wild hair, looking at a 05 limited coupe. Daily driver is a company truck, so this will be a toy. Spin my own wrenches. Have had 2 MBZ. Car has a slushbox with 75k on the clock. Could use some new tires so $800ish. Appears to be a garage queen with weekend exercise. Interior and exterior very good.. headlights lens need restored. Of course rubber is old as it's a 14 year old car will get a better look this week. Still have an 83 300SD cause I can't make it break. any input appreciated.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:07 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Re: Looking at a crossfire

what is the price?
what is the mileage?
auto or std?

Old 12-10-2019, 12:11 AM
JSK
Received 105 Likes on 87 Posts

The post says 75k miles and auto trans. No price though.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:11 AM

Asking price is $300 above bluebook
75k miles
Automatic tranny
Looking for heads up on issues I might observe, as my x-ray vision is in the shop again or any other advice
Bodywork is all straight and no signs of mismatch, tape lines, etc, worked in a body shop for a few years.
Test drive is this week and I will nail it hard. If it breaks I guess dealer can keep both pieces.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:39 AM

Brake rotors are new, still cross hatched hardly any use no grooves

Old 12-10-2019, 08:59 PM

Ok a little more lurking, stumbled across engine/chassis ground issue and it's an easy fix especially with a mil-spec terminal. Bad grounds play havoc. Got lots of spare cables when I reworked my motorcoach with nine batteries.
carry spare RCP relay control panel or something else?
Spare CPS?
anything I should be especially alert for?

Old 12-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a frequently asked question section on the forum. It's linked somewhere on the start page. I think it's under "Technical" .. Tons of information, fixes and modifications listed..
Good to meet...

Last edited by g wheels; 12-10-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 PM

Thanks g wheel for the hint, found it. RCP was an eye opener. CPS camshaft position sensor I now assume, starting to sound like a Cummins engine. Not for the faint of heart, and every service manager is named Ben Dover. "Progress" can't be stopped. Adapt or be held hostage. BTW appears to be a great forum of can do old farts. Kudos to all contributing members.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whole heartedly agree. It takes some time but the resources here are worth the effort.
I see you remember the "Vacation" movie scene. hahaha

Old 12-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Another old f**t here & new member who bought an 06 Coupe late this fall . Went thru the forum here & did the DIY things recommended . The one item that seems to give the batt a little more pizazz in starting was adding a cable from neg batt to the bell housing . Also removed the existing corroded ground strap , soaked it in mix of muriatic acid & water till sparkling clean , dried it , gobbed it w/ grease , covered all but the ends w/ heat shrink , then reinstalled it .
Note , muriatic is very caustic , wear rubber gloves & don't inhale it ! Also modified my current car ramps w/ some removable 2x6 extensions to accept the CF . Just purchased a SRT6 which is still w/ the seller as he installs a headliner (part of the deal) & then will go thru that doing as I did on the 06 .
For this old motor head/hot rodder , these cars are beautiful little hidden gems !

Old 12-11-2019, 05:15 PM

When I built my new shop, I left a 15'x3' blockout in the concrete floor for a mechanics pit. The building inspector would have wanted fall protection railings, probably some expensive wiz bang co sensor system interlocked with a $$$ wiz bang alarm, and an $$$$$ explosion proof exhaust fan, etc, etc.
when I dig it and complete the concrete it I will have a couple of co sensors, and a 12 volt marine bilge blower to exterior. can add a fold down cover for foot traffic.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Before you dig that hole I’d check out all the new inexpensive portable lifts out there. A “hole” lot cheaper in the long run lol

Old 12-12-2019, 10:27 PM

Car lifts are quite affordable now for sure, mechanics pit was the best option to service a 22,000 lb diesel pusher motorcoach. Anyhow test drove the xf today in the cold on thunder road in Augusta KS, which is about the nearest sorta twisty road and most of it off camber. Chassis is stiff and corners pretty flat which I liked. Power isn't a big thrill, but fun. (May I simply state that it's easier and more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow). Read the mods threads and there's a few ponies to be gained.. tweak the suspension, simplify and add lightness. Per Colin Chapman. Got my 4 lb/lhp bike with me on it bike for major adrenaline rushes/fix.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:34 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

They are very affordable now. I bought a 4 post lift this year for $2,300. The primary reason I bought it was to store one car above another in the garage. Clearly it's also very handy for car repairs.

Last edited by Toolman; 12-13-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:35 PM

Well bought the 05 xf limited coupe today, will post pictures when weather allows. Got it home and opened up the owners manual. 2 surprises.

S on the shifter is not sport mode for higher automatic shift points. And semi manually bumping the auto shither.its standard when in drive. Manual is kinda vauge. Other than W is for winter/wet and engine is limited. Does it always default/revert backt to standard at start?

91 octane fuel requirements, does it have knock sensors and a ignition timing retard system?

Yep newb questions

Old 12-13-2019, 11:42 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

S=summer, W=winter. In W it starts out in 2nd gear and the shift points are slightly changed.
Yes, there is a knock sensor and timing is controlled by the ECM ( PTCM ) as determined by many inputs, that among them.
You can run 87 in an emergency, just don't make a habit of it.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Received 353 Likes on 312 Posts

Congratulations, you might want to do a throttle reset so the computer learns your driving style rather than the previous owners.

Lots of valuable info here.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 12-15-2019, 12:23 AM

Did the throttle reset, found the clock reset in the reset sticky thread. Filled it with 91 octane, manualy shifted the auto down into first in the standard mode. It was only 33 degrees outside today so I made a reconosince run, of my local twisty thru a vacant city, park, next trip thru to put a little heat in the tires. Trip thru number 3 &4 was an eye opener. Woo hoo.. the stock xf stiuck like glue and can only guess with some decent tires it would be a strong runner in local and regional autocross events.. loving it!