New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

New Guy, new to me Crossfire!

Old 02-28-2023, 04:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Guy, new to me Crossfire!

Howdy all! I've always liked the look of these cars, started thinking seriously about buying for the last three months. Found one and bought it! 2005 roadster, 10,000 miles, red and manual trans. Perfect!
Bought it on the internet, had it trucked here to Colorado. Looks good, I'm happy and even more important, wife is happy!

So, unhappy part... Just took it to get Colorado emissions test done and it FAILED the test! High hydrocarbons (HC), seems really strange that a car so low mileage would have emissions issues.

Sorry to check in and immediately start asking for technical help... I just got back from the test center, thought I'd see if anyone has an idea where to start looking. There are no dash lights, test center equipment verified that there are no diagnostic trouble codes.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Terry

Old 02-28-2023, 04:28 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Re: New Guy, new to me Crossfire!

Is the gas fresh, when was the oil, oil filter and air filters changed? You need to have it scanned as a 2004 Mercedese SLK350 since that is what it is mechanically. No Dealers only independent shops that do Mercedes.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:06 PM

Hi Zeracer,

The fuel tank was half full of unknown age fuel. I stopped at a gas station that is usually busy (should be reasonably fresh fuel) and filled full of premium.

I've been thinking on this, is it possible that since I had car trucked here to Colorado from Delaware and I had driven very little (maybe 10 miles total since it arrived) that the engine control unit just hasn't reset for the higher altitude? I'm wondering if it takes some time for the ECU to realize conditions have changed. I haven't been able to drive due to no license plates - have to have emissions certificate in hand before plates are issued.

There was a long line at the emissions test center, so car was idling for an hour or so prior to being tested. Colorado does a dynomometer test, varying speeds and loads while exhaust is being sampled/tested.

Last edited by tervic; 02-28-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:36 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Do they have temporary permits for driving? I think you need to put a couple of hundred miles on it and do some basic maintenance as listed previously. Adjusting to the altitude is also a valid consideration.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:23 PM

Okay, air/oil filters were already on order, should be here in a day or so. I'll have to check into a temp plate, from memory they only give you 3 days.

Thanks for advice!

Terry

Old 02-28-2023, 07:29 PM

Oh,

and here are a couple of the obligatory pics!

Old 02-28-2023, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

As I said on Facebook, drive the tank down to 1/8, fill it again, drive it more.
Supposedly, the ECU will recognize the thinner air automatically, but I wonder about that as well.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:12 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

"High hydrocarbons (HC)," what was the number ? Was it close to passing or waaaay out. Makes a difference. I show Colorado limit for HC 1999 and newer to be 1.2 GPM. In general the catalytic converter controls HC emissions. Are you sure it is working ?

Old 02-28-2023, 09:13 PM

G'evening Pizza Guy!

I don't do Facebook, I guess my Dad has been posting on my behalf!

Old 02-28-2023, 09:19 PM

Hi Padgett,

I'm at work now, don't have the report in front of me, but I recall it was about triple the allowable level...

I have no idea whether the catalytic converters are working. I hope they aren't shot at this low mileage, but that is one possibility. I thought the onboard computer monitors their efficiency though? The testing center report showed no stored codes. I hooked up a tester when I got back home and found no codes stored or pending...

The car seems to run fine.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:38 PM

My apologies, I realize that I have started asking for help in the wrong section ..

Tomorrow when I get home from work I will start a new thread in a more relevant subforum. Thanks to all who have answered so far.

Terry

Old 03-01-2023, 09:22 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

OK, will look for it but slightly over is one thing. To be several times over the catalyst is not working properly. In you new thread I'll show how to test for about $20. Do you have an Android phone or tab ?

Old 03-01-2023, 11:42 AM
Received 134 Likes on 111 Posts

Fill up tank with premium fuel ,dump a can of seafoam into the tank and drive it, repeat the process again when refueling for the next tankful

Last edited by dcskmail; 03-14-2023 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:55 PM

I have opened a new thread in the Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential forum - 2005 Failed Emissions

Thanks,
Terry

Old 03-03-2023, 07:26 PM
Received 458 Likes on 221 Posts

IF it fails again, make sure you have at least a half tank of fresh fuel. Dump in a full bottle (at least 24-32oz) of 90+% Isopropyl alcohol into the gas tank. Drive around enough to get it mixed in real well. Test again. I bet it passes

Old 03-14-2023, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! What a beautiful car! Enjoy the driving~

Old 05-04-2023, 04:01 PM

Well, now I am officially a member of the "Repeat Offender Club" 😁

I liked the way the roadster drove so much that I decided that I want a Crossfire for a daily driver! I'm an airline pilot, my car has to spend lots of time at the airport parking lot. Since I didn't like the idea of parking a convertible at the lot, I started looking for a coupe.

I found myself a very nice 2005 Aero Blue Limited, manual transmission coupe. I'm very happy with it and look forward to a long relationship since it has only 30K miles on it so far.

Couple pics with the roadster..