View Poll Results: Crossfires Across America - Rocky Mountain Edition - Which year for the event?
79.07%
20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Crossfires Across America - Rocky Mountain Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossfires Across America - Rocky Mountain Edition

Here's what we call "our back yard". Let me know if I can help, in any way to make this happen.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by itsky
I've been going over this in my head quite a bit. If we have a base of operations, we can provide more options by providing different routes multiple times. It may be hard to park 50+ Crossfires in some of these smaller mountain towns. We can try to limit the maximum number of registrations for the event, but I really would not like to do that at all. The more the merrier!
I'm glad you have been wondering about this as I too have been concerned with the logistics of pulling off a roving meet, especially for those with a roadster. Also, you are correct about the accommodations aspect which is why I like either a base camp or two days at one and then wrap-up a third day elsewhere.

CSPGS would be a great wrap-up as there are a number of hotels to accommodate a large group and offers a number of venues in the area that many might like to see; unless they have stopped them entirely, Cheyenne Mountain would be a neat tour for some, but they used to require at least 6 months on a waiting list. Just have to make sure to watch the activities at the USAF Academy with respect to room availability; depending on the time of year of course.

I haven't been there in years, but Cripple Creek has a number of hotels and a fair sized one at HWY 24 & 67 if I remember. This offers a good base up and down 67 with a number of side tributaries to make the drives exciting.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:02 PM

What is CSPGS ? Some of us East coast people have not been to Colorado. Looking at my map I like the location of Cripple Creek. It would be nice to stay out of major cities and off interstate highways as much as possible on the rides.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

I like Gary's original idea of traveling daily from one place to another. However thatmay be problematic regarding hotel capacities and gettng a handle on how many will come to the event.

Our biggest issue in St Louis was that we coud not pin down the number of folks who were coming. More than a hundred and twentyfive said, "Yeah! I will come!" Only about 48 cars showed up.

I suggest, pick a date, get responses, make plans, get deposits (nonrefundable).

I think going from place to place would be the most fun. Albeit packing and unpacking. But the advantage is we take over a small hotel, terrorize the locals and leave in the morning before the authorities can map a defense strategy.

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 06-29-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deposits, deposits, deposits.....

Love Colorado!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that a Colorado horned rabbit in that 9th picture? Bet that would scratch the paint some.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by singerron
What is CSPGS ? Some of us East coast people have not been to Colorado. Looking at my map I like the location of Cripple Creek. It would be nice to stay out of major cities and off interstate highways as much as possible on the rides.
CSPGS = Colorado Springs. Cripple Creek is a nice place to hang out, but the hotel space is very limited.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Our biggest issue in St Louis was that we coud not pin down the number of folks who were coming. More than a hundred and twentyfive said, "Yeah! I will come!" Only about 48 cars showed up.

I suggest, pick a date, get responses, make plans, get deposits (nonrefundable).

I think going from place to place would be the most fun. Albeit packing and unpacking. But the advantage is we take over a small hotel, terrorize the locals and leave in the morning before the authorities can map a defense strategy.
Words of wisdom ..... always listen to the wisest man one can find......

Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 AM

I'm ready now, either yr works for me. For what's it worth, I like the base camp idea, so I can run with the top down all the time.

Mark

Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am guilty of a no-show. Call me a wuss, but I can't stand
the heat and humidity. Colorado sounds perfect. The Cheyenne
Mountain Zoo is great.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I am guilty of a no-show. Call me a wuss, but I can't stand
the heat and humidity. Colorado sounds perfect. The Cheyenne
Mountain Zoo is great.
There is nothing wrong about not liking/wanting to be in the heat and humidity, it isn't easy.

As the the zoo, unless something significant has changed in 12 years, I don't know that I would say it is great. They had some "nice" displays here and there, but nothing that great.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Erzer

As the the zoo, unless something significant has changed in 12 years, I don't know that I would say it is great. They had some "nice" displays here and there, but nothing that great.
It has been several years since I have been there, it is possible that it could have gone downhill (ha ha - get it?). That is too bad, it was a nice zoo at
one time.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I like Gary's original idea of traveling daily from one place to another. However thatmay be problematic regarding hotel capacities and gettng a handle on how many will come to the event.

roadster with a stick
Hey Franc.. Maybe by the next Crossfires Across America get together there will be enough tickets sold to raffle off the SRT-6... .. Squirrel Crusher

Old 07-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Ok folks, let's not let this die due to the holiday. I know this is quite a drive for many of you and while some would have preferred this to go more towards the East, North, or South, you need to make this one and perhaps when someone volunteers their region/state and the group votes on it, we'll end up somewhere closer to where you want to be.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 AM

No doom and gloom, but realistically, non of us know what the next two years hold in store for each of us. My odds of being here next year are a heck of a lot better than two years from now. 2012 would look a lot better to me if I had 2011 under my belt. My thoughts are to enjoy myself as long as able, and one year at a time is more optimistic than every other year.

John P
FTroopChief

Snow White's Engine Cover ready for airbrush!

Attached Thumbnails Crossfires Across America - Rocky Mountain Edition-img_1019.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 AM

It seems to me that 2011 is A GO AHEAD! (But only if the folks in CO. give it a thumbs up). We know that it can't be at the same time the Dragon tail and the Carlisle meet is on. You Guy's in CO. need to talk to each other and come up with a plan / and then talk to us, More than most say 2011. end of STORY. and Good luck (2 cents worth)

Last edited by TOPLESS; 07-07-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I want to meet up with John and Lorne again...they are my heros...so, I am in for 2011...

Old 07-14-2010, 05:33 AM

bumping

Come on folks, considering the limited history of the first CAA, were looking at less than half the owners showing up that expressed interest.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

John. You will be around for a long time yet. "Only the Good die young" See you in 2013 then I will be 80 . They give out a plaque to you when you show up at events and are 80. yours is due very soon. We will have a party. You take care till we meet again. Lorne

Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Forum Regular

Deleted . . .

Last edited by TBird; 07-15-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Crossfires Across America - Rocky Mountain Edition