Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Bullitt Remake?

Old 06-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bullitt Remake?

I just watched the famous Bullitt chase scene on cable (for about the 50th. time) and it occurred to me, it's been over 38 years since that movie was made. Isn't it about time for Hollywood to come out with a remake?
Essentially, We've got all the proper ingredients. San Francisco still has it's hills, and Trolley cars. Ford offers a heck of a Mustang, and Dodge still makes a Charger RT. (But as good as it is, it does have 4 doors) So maybe the new Challenger could fill in.
Now, who could fill Steve McQueens shoes, and who would play Jacqueline Bissett's part?
Any suggestions?

Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bullitt Remake?

OK, say you are an actor, mid-20-to-30-something (too old for teen movies), with a going career but you haven't yet hit it big time. Someone approaches your agent with the lead role in a remake of "Bullitt." What are the chances that getting compared to Steve McQueen will improve your career, either through critical approval or unexpectedly strong sales?

Smart actors with a name wouldn't touch this because the chances of coming out with a win are so small, and they wouldn't cast a lesser-known actor who would, because you need the star name power to sell a remake.

Now big Hollywood, being a pit of cowardly and decidedly uncreative producers and studios, may view the success of the new animated movie "Cars" as some kind of a weird signal and look to remakes of auto-based classic movies as a way to easy money. This happens every time the one-in-ten sports movies that actually makes a profit rolls around -- you see a spate of other, less successful sports movies that perpetuate the myth that sports movies don't sell.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Forum Regular

Somebody actually did use a Mustang Bullet edition to recreate the scene a few years ago. Can't remember too many of the particulars, though.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie
Somebody actually did use a Mustang Bullet edition to recreate the scene a few years ago. Can't remember too many of the particulars, though.
Motor Trend had a good story on the movie and how they made it plus they compared the Mustang GT and the Charger RT...it was a good story and I think a remake would be a great idea...love to see the chase scene between a Mustang and SRT8!!!

Old 06-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by kmag50
Motor Trend had a good story on the movie and how they made it plus they compared the Mustang GT and the Charger RT...it was a good story and I think a remake would be a great idea...love to see the chase scene between a Mustang and SRT8!!!
Kent, that was a good article, and if memory serves, I think Steve McQueens son drove the Mustang.
If you GOOGLE Steve McQueen and Bullitt, there are alot of interesting sites devoted to the subject.
The movie in my opinion was just so-so. But without a doubt, the chase scene was, is, and probably always will be the best ever filmed.
Later on, the movie "The French Connection" advertised it had an even better chase scene. But some how, Popeye D. driving a Pontiac Tempest 4 door thru the streets of New York, chasing a train, just couldn't compare to two muscle cars in hot pursuit all over beautiful San Francisco.
Maybe HDDP could film the remake!

Old 06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RGvivace
OK, say you are an actor, mid-20-to-30-something (too old for teen movies), with a going career but you haven't yet hit it big time. Someone approaches your agent with the lead role in a remake of "Bullitt." What are the chances that getting compared to Steve McQueen will improve your career, either through critical approval or unexpectedly strong sales?
I doubt that 95% of the theatre audiences would even know it's a remake, after all it was shot in 1968 for 5.5 million with box office and rental grosses to date of more than $50 m.

It's actually not a bad idea considering BAD "B" movies like Fast & Furious have turned into profitable franchises even though the movies are garbage. But, wasn't Don Johnson's TV show loosely based on the movie ? Crazy detective in SF with hot Dodge Challenger...

Old 06-08-2006, 02:03 PM

Yes the Cuda Don Johnson had was one nice car...made me cringe when they had it involved in a wreck or two...I do hope that was a "fake" Cuda.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
wasn't Don Johnson's TV show loosely based on the movie ? Crazy detective in SF with hot Dodge Challenger...
You know Derek, I never put the two together, but you're probably right. But when you think about it, San Francisco is the back drop for alot of police dramas.
Dirty Harry, Streets of San Fran, Kojak, 48 Hours, and Nash Bridges just to name a few. If a person didn't know better, you could almost come to the conclusion, San Francisco is the "REAL" wild, wild, west...Well, on second thought, with gay rights and all, maybe it is.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:02 PM

I could see Colin Farrel playing the part...

Old 06-08-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rabidraider
I could see Colin Farrel playing the part...
Excellent choice Rabid, I never would have come up with that one. I bet he wouldn't turn the part down either.
Along time ago I heard someone say how little dialogue Steve McQueen actually had to learn for the part. I don't think it was a couple hundred words or so. If you think about it, mostly all he did through out the whole movie is walk around with a scowl on his face, looking like a "bad asp". (See how cleverly I snuck that past the censors) But the big question is, can Colin Farrel drive? Or at least look like he can.
Now, who's going to be his leading lady? Of course she has to be driving a Porsche Boxter. But if all the members on the forum get together and "bank roll" the making of the movie, we could always "write in" a Crossfire roadster for her. (Just a thought)

Old 06-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes the Cuda Don Johnson had was one nice car...made me cringe when they had it involved in a wreck or two...I do hope that was a "fake" Cuda.
One of our customers bought one after the show ended.
We built it to be the was it was "represented" on the show, not the way it was.
http://www.totallyautoinc.com/nashbr...shp1/nbp1.html

It was a fun car...

Old 06-10-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by stryfox
One of our customers bought one after the show ended.
We built it to be the was it was "represented" on the show, not the way it was.
http://www.totallyautoinc.com/nashbr...shp1/nbp1.html

It was a fun car...
Thanks for sending that...it was very interesting...didn't know all those facts about the "actual" cars on the show...it was fun to read. Your restoration job looks great...did you sell the car? If so, may I ask how much??? Thanks again for the info.

Old 06-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for sending that...it was very interesting...didn't know all those facts about the "actual" cars on the show...it was fun to read. Your restoration job looks great...did you sell the car? If so, may I ask how much??? Thanks again for the info.
We don't sell cars. It would affect the quality in the way we build/restore them.
It was built for a customer that bought it from the movie studio.
Thanks for the kind words.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:50 AM

To get back to the original thread, how about Jessica Alba?
I know it is only a bit part, but it would be a bit part that I would remember.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Jessica Alba is definitely memorable. If they did do a new Bullitt, you know they would do another Bullitt Mustang, and they don't need another performance Mustang. GT, Roush, Saleen, Shelby GT500. Also if they did a Charger SRT8, they would need something more than just a Mustang GT for the chase scenes.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:10 PM

They worked around that very same problem in the making of the original. They don't call it "movie magic" for nothing.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:19 PM

LOL! Good point.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:19 PM

RPM, does that mean there are some Hollywood producers "lurking" around the forum. After all, I started this post a year ago.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 AM
RPM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
RPM, does that mean there are some Hollywood producers "lurking" around the forum. After all, I started this post a year ago.
Haha. Could be. HDDP may have some pull that we didn't know about - .

Old 06-08-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by RPM
Haha. Could be. HDDP may have some pull that we didn't know about - .
Hey, we can always hope.