Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Fastest You've ever gotten a ticket...

Old 05-15-2007, 05:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Fastest You've ever gotten a ticket...

I was poking around mercedesshop.com and came across this thread:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...ad.php?t=84018

It's a few "war stories" about people getting nipped by the Anti-Destination League. It's worth your time to take a look. Some of them are pretty good. From a user called "Tirebiter":

1980. Working as chief mechanic at a Porsche/Ferrari/Audi dealer in SoCal. Every 930 Turbo got a PDI (pre delivery inspection) that included a 150 MPH test run to assure that the vehicle was stable at high speed. We were politely asked to move our high speed tests from the Rose Bowl area out to the less used 210 freeway.

CHP on 210 freeway gave me a ticket for 150 MPH in a 55 zone. At that time speed alone did not support a charge of reckless driving. I explained that I was working instead of just screwing off but it made no difference to him. Several times in the past I had not been cited by other cops when they saw the extra test gauges in the car and my uniform. Being an IMSA crew chief probably helped too.

When we got to court a lawyer friend of mine (and a long time Porsche owner) was sitting as judge pro tem and only winked at me when I came into court. While the CHP was testifying the judge asked him how he knew I was going 150 MPH. He said his speedo was calibrated to 125 MPH and I was pulling away until he red lighted me. The ticket was dismissed due to the fact he had not put down that the speed was estimated instead of by clock. Officer Knight was pissed off.

He was so pissed off that he laid for me and the next time he wrote me for 165 MPH estimated in a 55 zone (max speed limit in those days). He was so angry that he had hiccups while he wrote me up. Although he had my license, he wrote my name on the ticket as David Rusnak, probably because I had on a Rusnak Porsche dealership shirt. The next judge had to dismiss the ticket because of the wrong name.

Outside the courtroom he promised me that the next time he would take me to jail for reckless. I promised him I would NEVER again stop for a CHP while on a test drive. We gave each other the finger as we parted. A few weeks later he was transferred to Indio California. I was never cited again.

Only other incident worth mentioning was a 150 MPH run near Bakersfield in the rain. I was showing my girlfriend the benefits of night vision goggles (gen III) and had the cruise control set when we passed a CHP who was stopped giving someone else a ticket.
A half hour later we were at a restaurant near Magic Mountain when he and his partner came in asking who owned the white Porsche parked outside. I owned up to it and his concern was more involved with no headlights than with the speed. He did mention that we were throwing up a 100 foot rooster tail.
After a brief demonstration with the night vision goggles he let us go.

The last ticket I got stuck with was in 1982.

You can get farther with a smile and a gun than you can with just a smile.

1984 300D
1980 300SD
1976 450SL

Old 05-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fastest You've ever gotten a ticket...

85 in a 35, car got towed ...it was a mess but I got off with driving school in the end.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Day 355 opened...lived at 75th and janes...had a FJ1200 with a Koenig 1500 motor in it.

Got on at 75th North bound...minutes later I got off at North ave...they had the lanes blocked got off the bike they cuffed me and towed the bike...was only miles on the bike so far!

They claimed 165.

I won in court.

Was tagged outside Las Vegas at 187 once...that ticket stuck!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:05 PM

115 in a 15, competition of speed, cni, and a couple others in one stop, got away with everything but changing lanes w/o a signal because the cop hadn't calibrated his radar gun in almost a month, case in point my speedo said 130.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Forum Regular

Never got a ticket...

Old 05-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie
Never got a ticket...

Shhh! Don't ever say that out loud!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Forum Regular

My wife has never had a ticket...tows my dragboat all over the country knocking on the ford rev limiter...then one time the ground wire on the trailer plate come loose...she gets pulled over...she wakes me up cop tells us what's up...I run out while he's running all the info on everything!...fix the wire he lets her go!

If that was me I would be done...oh well...I think he was surprised it was a her wheeling down the road!

Old 05-16-2007, 02:53 PM

For the most part I don't have any real crazy stories just the normal tickets for 10-20 over. But One day I was cruising down I-90 which is as close to the Autobahn for Upstate New York as you can get. Long, strait, few turns, and few cops. I reached the part of the highway where it's about a 1 mile straight away that leads to a 2 mile hill which leads to another 1 mile strait away. I was probably going around 140 when I saw a state trooper sitting at the bottom of the hill in the U-Turn. I had to make my choice right there, stop or go for it. Sooo I went for it. I pushed the car to about 155 and got off the next exit as the trooper was pulling out and trying to catch up. I flew down some back roads and called my friend who lived close by and told him to move as many cars out of his drive way as he could so that I could try to hide my car there. I get to his house and he has 3 cars on the road and he's in one of them, I whip it in and he pulls in right behind me. We both get out and get the other two cars in the driveway so that you can hardly see my Crossfire. My heart was racing and he was asking me what the hell I was thinking as 2 state troopers and 2 local cops fly down his road. They just kept going past his house. About 5 minutes later I get a call from my cousin who is a local cop and he asked me what I was doing. I told him I was and had been watching a movie at my friends house. He says "oh really, well I just heard of a black crossfire running from the cops in your area". I say "damn thats weird, probably some stupid kid". And he comes back with "yeah I know someone like that, and please don't ever pull anything like that again or I will arrest you myself"...Not too crazy, but thats all I have.

- Sean

Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Forum Regular

That's the best one so far! Good to know a Crossfire is faster than a Crown Vic.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:06 AM
RPM

Originally Posted by macavelli24
Not too crazy, but thats all I have.
- Sean
Sean - where I'm from that's pretty darn crazy. Good story.
I tried something similar in my 4 cyl Wrangler in my younger days. Didn't get far to say the least and the guy had no idea I was trying to lose him.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by radmanly
That's the best one so far! Good to know a Crossfire is faster than a Crown Vic.
But not faster than a radio...

Old 05-17-2007, 01:16 PM

I have yet to see a car/bike that would outrun a motorola, if any of you come across one let me know, i want it.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie
But not faster than a radio...
186,000 miles/sec. Its not only a good idea, it's the law!

Old 05-17-2007, 02:20 PM

That's true, you can't out run a radio, and I think if I had tried to keep going instead of "hiding" my car then I would have been caught. But I have calmed down since, and I won't try anything like that again...well maybe not.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:43 PM

Well they don't automatically call you in when they red light you. So if you can get out of range so they can't see your license plate your good. One day i was going down a small main road in my neighborhood. Speed limit was 45 and there was a cop van doing 42. He pulled me over for no front plate and my 20% tints. But i think i could of gotten away if i nailed it then jumped onto the highway on-ramp about 300 yards down the road. I know i could get there before he could. And i know i could take the 270 degree turn at least 50-60 mph. He would have to slow down, then i could have jumped to the left lane and took the next ramp. And i could have been gone before he seen where i went. All you have to do is get 2 turns ahead of them. But i figured they would be on a lookout for a sapphire Crossfire, and i would be found out pretty quick. Because can't they search the area for your car on a computer? Like enter. 2004 Chrysler Crossfire Silver in Baltimore MD 21221. And it will bring all the results back. And i'm pretty sure i would be the only one with no plate and my tints.

Last edited by Romio; 05-17-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it was early summer of 1973 that some friends and I were planning on seeing Evil Knievel jump a few cars at Dragway 42. We planned on riding our motorcycles, but my friends Suzuki wasn't running right, so I took a late night trip out to his apartment two days before the big event just to see if he had got it running.
I was in my AMX, and about 5 miles away from his apartment when some guy got behind me on a motorcycle with his bright light on, and he stayed right on my bumper. Even though I had the mirror turned to the non-glare setting, his head light still illuminated the whole interior and it was really annoying me.
When I got within a couple of miles of his apartment, there was a 1/4 mile long straight stretch of road just after you crossed some railroad tracks that gradually went up a slight hill. Then there was an intersection about 200 yards beyond the crest of the hill.
I slowed down to about 5 mph to cross the tracks, then I lit em up. I saw the head light of the bike go up in the air a foot or two, and he was right on me all the way thru 1st. gear, but when the tires broke loose (and it fished tailed) when I hit 2nd. I jumped ahead of him by a length or two, and he must have let off because I really started pulling away then as I was approaching the crest of the hill, and the line of cars that had been coming my way the whole time I was acting foolish.
Now just as I passed the 4th. car in the line of 5, I noticed by the parking lights that it was a full size Mopar (like the Highway Patrol drive) and the head lights of the 5th. car outlined his radar unit positioned on his drivers side passenger door.
Right then (as I crested the hill) I knew I was busted big time, and the only thing I could think of doing was to turn at the intersection and head down the totally dark country road as fast as I could to get away. I went about 1/8 mile, pulled over, turned my lights out, and watched my mirror to see if the police car had turned around to come after me. I never did notice him cross the intersection, so I pulled out, and decided to go home and give my friend a call the next morning.
Saturday morning, I'm sitting in my living room, when who should show up but my buddy riding his brother's Suzuki. It seems that he couldn't get his running. He then asked me if anything exciting had happened to me last night, and by the goofy look on his face, I knew he must have been the guy who was tailgating me the night before.
I said, that was you, you SOB, and he started laughing. Then he said how in the heck did I ever see that Highway Patrol car, because he didn't, and neither did our other friend who was behind him in his car, who's also a policeman.
It seems they continued on to his apartment after I turned off, and just as he was taking his helmet off, in comes the Highway Patrolman, jumping out of his cruiser, and shouting, "Where is that guy in the AMX?" (he managed to get my license #) My friend told him I turned off at the intersection. He then calmed down, and told him he had clocked him at 65 mph. in the 35 zone, but he really wanted to get me because he had clocked me from 5 mph all the way up to 95 when I let off.
Our mutual friend (the police officer) talked him into only giving him a ticket for 49 in a 35, so he wouldn't have to go to court, and the last thing the State Trooper said was the night is young, and I would probably be back.
I never drove my AMX in that area again, for about 5 years.
As luck would have it, the Ohio weather turned cold, so we wound up not taking our motorcycles to see Evil Knievel after all.