Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

Cars for sale worth mentioning

Old 01-17-2022, 09:57 AM
Forum Regular
Received 133 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Cars for sale worth mentioning

You ever see a car for sale you thought had basically ceased to exist? I'd never buy a car this old. They just become too hard to maintain. I like to buy cars around 8 years old (bottom of their depreciation curve) so I at least have a few years to buy whatever part it might need. In my Xfire's case, a NEW white steering wheel for just $203!!! Thanks Chrysler! Anyway, check out this survivor, a 1990 Audi Quattro Coupe. https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9a7...-coupe-quattro This sold for $12,700

What?? A 3k mile 2004 Chrysler 300M!!! I drove one of these NEW in the showroom and it surprised me how quick it felt. I much preferred the TAN interior, though.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-chrysler-300-2/ The winning bid was $17,250.

That's all folks!

Last edited by WD40; 01-24-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:58 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Re: Cars for sale worth mentioning

I wanted a quattro back in the day but never found one in decent enough shape to buy back then. I ended up getting an audi 5000. Nice car in general but that cured me of my audi wants after a few power window issues (a cogged plastic belt to move the windows), clutch cylinder issues and cooling issues

Old 01-24-2022, 06:27 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crowz
I wanted a quattro back in the day but never found one in decent enough shape to buy back then. I ended up getting an audi 5000. Nice car in general but that cured me of my audi wants after a few power window issues (a cogged plastic belt to move the windows), clutch cylinder issues and cooling issues
I've never owned any VW Corporation product. I did own 3 different LOTUS (according to their corporate office, the plural of Lotus is Lotus!!!). They had a steel cable for their electric windows but a PLASTIC clip that looped under the window and supported its entire weight. I replaced 2 of those plastic clips!

Last edited by WD40; 01-24-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WD40
I've never owned any VW Corporation product. I did own 3 different LOTUS (according to their corporate office, the plural of Lotus is Lotus!!!). They had a steel cable for their electric windows but a PLASTIC clip that looped under the window and supported its entire weight. I replaced 2 of those plastic clips!
Thanks for posting this.

It brought back memories of my Audi days. Both one of my most hated and one of my most loved cars were Audis. I always felt they were German cars built with an English soul.

My Lotus Elite had a plastic ball attaching the shifter to the transmission. It gave out just as I pulled out in front of the a crowd attending a small town's high school graduation.
My car looked like it could do 200 mph but was stuck in first doing about 25 mph while the shifter hung loosely in my hand (as were all who had attended the ceremony until I pulled off and let them by) .

Old 02-01-2022, 12:00 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MiamiTVR
Thanks for posting this.

It brought back memories of my Audi days. Both one of my most hated and one of my most loved cars were Audis. I always felt they were German cars built with an English soul.

My Lotus Elite had a plastic ball attaching the shifter to the transmission. It gave out just as I pulled out in front of the a crowd attending a small town's high school graduation.
My car looked like it could do 200 mph but was stuck in first doing about 25 mph while the shifter hung loosely in my hand (as were all who had attended the ceremony until I pulled off and let them by) .
The ends of the shifter cables on my Lotus Elan M100 had plastic couplings. With my girlfriend in my car I was racing some other dude and was speed-shifting, which put too much stress on the plastic couplings and one broke. I no longer remember if it was on the shift-lever side or the side where it connected to the transmission, as it happened in the late 1990's. But I could no longer shift. Luckily it left the transmission in 3rd gear, and I was able to drive around 8 or 10 miles to a friend's house and get a ride. I had the car towed the 30-miles or so back to my house and ended up buying an aftermarket set of cables that some company in Indonesia made that had STEEL fittings on the ends instead of plastic!!!

One day, after I'm long dead, I'd like to think that in a moment of divine thought an engineer will design a car where the bean-counters allow him not to "cheap out" and save five-cents on every component!!!

P.S. I remember now it broke where the bottom of the metal shift-lever connected to the plastic-bit on the end of the shift-cable, about one foot below where my hand was gripping the gear-shift-****. So when I moved the gear-lever really fast it just yanked the plastic-bit right off the end of the cable!

Last edited by WD40; 02-01-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:11 PM
Forum Regular

There are about 2 hours left in the bidding on this C55 AMG. https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9lQ...esbenz-c55-amg

Look how clean it is on the underside of the car. DAMN! It makes me want to get off work early because today is warm enough for me to raise the Crossfire up and clean the chassis in the driveway today.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:08 PM
Forum Regular

Wow! Look at the condition of this '88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z! I never really liked these but you HAVE TO ADMIRE the person who kept it in this condition. It just sold for $10,700. https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3qB...ytona-shelby-z That Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth 2.2L that they put into EVERYTHING was such a rough & uncivilized engine that would be totally unacceptable today. Accordingly they finally put twin balance-shafts in the 2.2L & 2.5L from model-year 1990 onwards which made those engines FAR more pleasant. It got rid of the 'angry hornet's nest under the hood' syndrome!
Anyone else remember the pneumatic driver's-seat fad of the late 1980's/early 1990's? On this one you have both left/right & thigh/back inflatable bolsters! You have to admit, it's something you just can't get anymore! Also unique (I've never seen it before, have you?) are the 2 REAR SUN VISORS for the back-seat passengers to block the sun coming through the hatchback!!!

Last edited by WD40; 02-01-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:16 PM
Received 459 Likes on 222 Posts

Back in 1992, I stopped counting how many of the 80's era "turbo-Dodge" cars I owned when I reached 100. These were literally everywhere, and being one of the first generations of computer controlled, fuel injected cars, they might suddenly die due to a failed hall effect pickup (HEP), which is the equivalent of a crank position sensor in the Crossfire, or a bad MAP sensor. People couldn't work on them, and I would pick these cars up for sometimes as little as $50 (the going rate on scrap cars at the time). Some of these cars were breathed on heavily by Shelby Automobiles, and I have had the privilege of owning many of these particular vehicles. Absolute missiles, and underrated by absolutely everyone, including the factory, which would frequently post HP and torque figures well below what they really made. Friday nights out cruising saw many Mustangs and Camaro IROC-Z's go home with their tails between their legs, after seeing my little GLHS disappearing in front of them!

Old 02-07-2022, 05:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nemiro
Back in 1992, I stopped counting how many of the 80's era "turbo-Dodge" cars I owned when I reached 100. These were literally everywhere, and being one of the first generations of computer controlled, fuel injected cars, they might suddenly die due to a failed hall effect pickup (HEP), which is the equivalent of a crank position sensor in the Crossfire, or a bad MAP sensor. People couldn't work on them, and I would pick these cars up for sometimes as little as $50 (the going rate on scrap cars at the time). Some of these cars were breathed on heavily by Shelby Automobiles, and I have had the privilege of owning many of these particular vehicles. Absolute missiles, and underrated by absolutely everyone, including the factory, which would frequently post HP and torque figures well below what they really made. Friday nights out cruising saw many Mustangs and Camaro IROC-Z's go home with their tails between their legs, after seeing my little GLHS disappearing in front of them!
I never owned one but my dad was really into them and I serviced all his cars, and he usually owned 4 or 5 cars at the same time, even though he only bought 2 brand new cars in his entire life. But he would drop off a car at my house saying it had problem "X", and say "keep it as long as you want", knowing I'd find & fix anything wrong with it! At various times he had an '88 LeBaron turbo convertible (2.2 T1), an '89 Chrysler TC by Maserati (2.2 TII), a 1990 Dodge sedan with a 2.5L turbo, and an earlier '85 Chrysler LeBaron Town & Country Mark Cross turbo Convertible.

The following users liked this post:
nemiro (02-07-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 03:58 PM
Forum Regular

It's sad that there is ONLY ONE (brand new) regular-cab pickup truck for sale anymore, just extended-cabs, crew-cabs, etc. that are too long and large to have any sporting pretension at all.

Here's a really nice low-mileage 2007 Roush, 1 of 100 made, supercharged to over 500hp & 500lb-ft !!! https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rGN...roush-nitemare

(I doubt this posting-format will keep my spacing. Sorry about that!)
https://blog.consumerguide.com/regular-cab-pickups/ last REGULAR-CAB SHORT-BED pickup
still available- Ford F150
last year 2018 - Chevrolet Silverado / GMC Sierra
last year 2018 - Ram 1500 (STILL AVAILABLE IN Ram 1500 Classic & Ram Heavy Duty 2500) Reg.Cab Short-Bed: 120"WB (1999 118.7") (2009 120.5")
last year 2013 - Toyota Tundra, Regular-cab 6.5' Short-box: 126.8"WB, 2007 was the 1st year for the 5.7L 3UR-FE V8
For the 2014 model year Toyota discontinued the regular-cab Tundra with the 6.5ft-box
For 2018 the regular-cab model with 8ft-bed was also discontinued, 145.7"WB
From 2009-2015 the Tundra TRD came with a 504hp@5500 550tq@3600 supercharged engine 4.4s 0-60 (with cat-back dual exhaust)
last year 2019 - Nissan Titan (last year of ANY regular-cab) Regular Cab was only ever available in a long-bed version

Last edited by WD40; 02-12-2022 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:24 AM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

It's sad that there is ONLY ONE (brand new) regular-cab pickup truck for sale anymore, just extended-cabs, crew-cabs, etc. that are too long and large to have any sporting pretension at all.
I agree. Primary reason I still have my 2006 Ford F150 STX 4x4 Flareside with Standard Regular Cab. Truck is a "head-turner" wherever I take it. Only has just over 78k on the ODO.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-28-2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:32 PM

I still prefer my crew cab F250 for heavy stuff and serious offroading.

I have an F150 I use for light work and offroading. Its an extended cab though ford calls it a 4 door but its really just the side parts that open after opening the front doors.

I have an F150 regular cab too but I prefer the room in the larger cabs personally since I can haul stuff in there to keep it out of the weather.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:27 AM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

My 2006 F150 actually has a small half door that functions like a "suicide door". Window Sticker called it a Regular Cab F150. But there isn't any seating behind the front seats; only small space for storage and/or toting small items. I've got the Ford storage bin for this area but I never drilled the mounting holes thru the floor board to secure it. It just sits back there. My F150 also has the "carpet delete" options, which makes cleaning it inside a breeze. The factory radio plays both CDs & cassette tapes, which I like due to the vast collection of tapes I bought back in the day. Manual crank windows, too! It really is just a truck - just looks good!

Truck came w/o Cruise, but I bought the OEM-like switches & steering wheel harness from a website (The Cruise Control Store). Then took the truck to the local Ford dealer & had them activate the cruise control feature since everthing was electronic. Complete cost for part purchase & activation by Ford was $172.90. System works great!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-28-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
My 2006 F150 actually has a small half door that functions like a "suicide door". Window Sticker called it a Regular Cab F150. But there isn't any seating behind the front seats; only small space for storage and/or toting small items. I've got the Ford storage bin for this area but I never drilled the mounting holes thru the floor board to secure it. It just sits back there. My F150 also has the "carpet delete" options, which makes cleaning it inside a breeze. The factory radio plays both CDs & cassette tapes, which I like due to the vast collection of tapes I bought back in the day. Manual crank windows, too! It really is just a truck - just looks good!

Truck came w/o Cruise, but I bought the OEM-like switches & steering wheel harness from a website (The Cruise Control Store). Then took the truck to the local Ford dealer & had them activate the cruise control feature since everthing was electronic. Complete cost for part purchase & activation by Ford was $172.90. System works great!
Mine has the suicide doors but does have a full seat back there. No legroom to speak of but a full seat.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:26 PM
Forum Regular

This is an overwhelmingly Florida phenomenon. A 15 year old car with just 4,100 miles. This car is now being sold by a local car dealer and I guarantee you he bought this at an estate sale! In Florida, so many times used private vehicles are never listed in dedicated automotive sales outlets. Statistically husbands die before their spouses, and the wife knows very little about "his car collection." It just wasn't something she involved herself with. Probably this car was only listed as a line-item and at most, was granted a single picture within an overall estate sale.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...benz-sl550-10/

Old 04-23-2022, 08:31 PM
Forum Regular

Look how highly detailed the UNDERSIDE of this 48K mile 2011 S65 is!!!! He must have paid a pro to get it looking that nice. I used to keep my cars that clean underneath when I was a much younger man, but I don't relish having my shoulders (etc.) constantly in pain in my "Golden years!!"

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...nz-s65-amg-13/

Old 04-24-2022, 07:25 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe detailed using the dry ice method?

Old 04-24-2022, 02:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Maybe. Do you know how much $$$$ is charged for that type of service??

Old 04-24-2022, 05:45 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe. Do you know how much $$$$ is charged for that type of service??
https://www.pfafftuning.com/dry-ice-...0%242%2C000.00.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
There WAS a product that boaters used in Florida to stop corrosion, in fact they'd commonly buy a case of the stuff whenever they bought a new boat. All you had to do was make sure a surface was clean before spraying it on, and it could be sprayed on any surface (metals, plastics, wiring, etc.). I didn't know it was discontinued until I tried to find it just now. It has been superseded by a new product that I've never used, obviously.
The old product was called B'laster Corrosion Stop Protectant (I found B'laster's old company video here... https://www.toolsid.com/blaster/11-f...pn-16-csp.html)
The new product is called B'laster Surface Shield (https://blasterproducts.com/product/surface-shield/)

Both of these products are intended to stop
corrosion before it ever gets a chance to start. Corrosion Stop Protectant dries clear. I don't know what Surface Shield will look like after it dries.

Last edited by WD40; 04-26-2022 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Cars for sale worth mentioning